General Yuzuru Chat

Guys how... okay, maaaybe I've been away for more than 12 hours but still...6 pages? OF CONTENT??? You're the best^^

Spoiler
4 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

Lol, they are so blunt!

Korean media comparing anybody to Yuna? Overlord is the all-powerful I guess.

3 hours ago, PomeloPooh said:

We’ve seen Korean media loving Yuzu for a long time, but now they compare him to Yuna and that love’s carved in stone :biggrin: She’s so revered in Korea that the other day a celebrity that thumbed up a picture of Sotnikova holding Sochi gold was scolded to the point she closed her account :P 

As a fan of both skaters I keep seeing parallels in their situations. Defending Olympic champions missing most of the season’s first half because of injury faces the challenge from younger technicians pushed by very powerful federations... I just hope Yuzu can do what Yuna did in Sochi, i.e. leave two performances for the ages, and get a different (and right) result this time. After all, he took his first gold only as a starting point and stayed at the top of technical development from the 3-quad era to the 7-quad era. That’s something nobody else’s done before, that gives him the power to force judges’s hands. 

That's...actually not a good thing, that's how bullying in-the-name-of-justice is being born, and I'm pretty sure that whatever Yuna's opinion on Sochi, she wouldn't like her 'fans' hurt another person for something as silly as that (THAT is actually the biggest parallel I hope the two have between themselves).

Also, Yuzu is upping his ante instead of Yuna forcing herself for the sake of ogm title (as in, trying to maintain it/letting the others challenge her for it) with full awaresness she's going into it with weaker content she's had in Vancouver (I think she did mention that in one interview?). I do not think any skater continues skating while thinking 'my time is over' regardless of what the other people say around them, but Yuzuru additionally answers with a : "HELL NO I'M STAYING DUDES AND I'M STAYING ON TOP.'Which actually I haven't seen from any of the OGMs...okay, maybe Mao's Rachmaninoff was actually something like that.

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

I guess what actually bothers me is that by doing this it seems they're tucking him into this 'good boy' box and while he is possibly one of the nicest and kindest and simply good people around, he's still human and has his wilder sides and I'd rather he doesn't get tucked into any boxes.

Why do I have a picture of Satoko sitting in a cardboard box before my eyes rn...and then photoshopped embarrassed!Swan next to it...

1 hour ago, singcarcom said:

I like how the cover states that they're the strongest two, rather than portraying them as rivals. :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

You know when you have Kamen Raider series, it usually have a secondary rider introduced somewhere mid-series? This cover reminds me of the merch that comes out after such "revelation" (only exclusion I can think of is Double, which always had the two that morphed onto one KR, and Fourze, where the dumbass hero and smartass sidekick were paired before the secondary Raider came in your customary back-to-back position-sorry for nerd:embSwan:)

1 hour ago, MrPudding said:

what did Nobu fanboy about :10636614:

25 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

Sorry. So we'll get WR for SP and FS then.. :war:

:13877886::13877886::13877886:

found the translation :laughing:

The first thing I've heard in this vid from Nobu: 'His body is sooo great! And now I sound like a pervert.' thanks for summing us up, Nobu

54 minutes ago, Aotoshiro said:

Guys how... okay, maaaybe I've been away for more than 12 hours but still...6 pages? OF CONTENT??? You're the best^^

Hide contents

Korean media comparing anybody to Yuna? Overlord is the all-powerful I guess.

That's...actually not a good thing, that's how bullying in-the-name-of-justice is being born, and I'm pretty sure that whatever Yuna's opinion on Sochi, she wouldn't like her 'fans' hurt another person for something as silly as that (THAT is actually the biggest parallel I hope the two have between themselves).

Its really bad. The media and the public tore her apart and she probably have to apologize, even then.... :unsure2:

19 hours ago, Sammie said:

Is this posted yet? Plushy showing his students Yuzu jumps. 

My friend's translation:

"He has it in all the jumps"
*Translator notes: She's not sure what he means by “it”. It was mid phrase*
"That’s how it’s done"
"He pulls in right away"
"Tight position"
"Look how tight, boom and he pulls in"
"Try it again"
*Translator Notes: Girls slump shoulders, skate away. They know it’s easier said than done*

1 minute ago, Danibellerika said:

My friend's translation:

"He has it in all the jumps"
*Translator notes: She's not sure what he means by “it”. It was mid phrase*
"That’s how it’s done"
"He pulls in right away"
"Tight position"
"Look how tight, boom and he pulls in"
"Try it again"
*Translator Notes: Girls slump shoulders, skate away. They know it’s easier said than done*

next they'll be saying: "just 2 more rotation" :smiley-laughing021:

19 hours ago, Sammie said:

Is this posted yet? Plushy showing his students Yuzu jumps. 

"Very  tight  posiition. Look at salchow  now. It has to be done  like this in every jump. Every jump!  He does it the right way . He reaches high, assumes tight position very fast and strains himself  .....BOOOM! Right there. Boom   and  holds the position tight  in every jump.  

Ok, let's do it once again, ready?"

Oh,   just noticed  my default ava!!  I love it !!!

40 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

ooo we're back yay!

anyways its like i'm prepared but not at the same time lol :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

If it helps you I've just (okay, not just, few hours ago) messed up one of the two today's exams...Set my second take on 12th to avoid schedule conflict :biggrin: Good thing that teacher is a lovely woman, she even went in and made it look in her notes as if I was absent today so that my 2nd counts as the first try...AND that's after I've messed up practically every qestion she set me up with...

32 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

They are like: I' can't say it's impossible, because Plush teach showed us this guy, BUT IT IS impossible...:rofl: poor little things

We're getting to the nitty gritty prefacing showtime.  I thought I might get something going here by airing my feelings about who are the most formidable rivals to Yuzu (meaning those who actually might win, although that's only if Yuzu stumbles or has not fully recovered his full prowess) and inviting comments (I do consider this general Yuzu chat and not grounds for a new thread).  The two biggest threats I think almost everyone will agree are Nathan and Shoma.  They both have scored points that exceed former Yuzu records (former records, since only Patrick Chan has ever broken a record Yuzu set, and that was way back in 2013).  Nathan might seem the greater threat but one must realize that when he's beaten Shoma this year it was by the narrowest of margins.  There is a possibility that Nathan may have peaked too early, as for him this entire season seems to be Nathan at his peak.  Almost certainly the American press is putting forth a narrative of a showdown between the American Nathan and the reigning King of Skating, Yuzuru Hanyu.  In Japan I imagine there is a lot of buzz over a Yuzu/Shoma showdown.  In both those countries the supposed showdowns will probably drive ratings way up, although in Japan if Yuzu is involved the ratings are automatically way up.

The outlier of the credible gold medalists is Boyang.  He's coming off an injury but proved himself at 4CC.  His problem is the perennial one with him - his program is controlled by his jumps.  Kurt Browning calls him 'Boing-Boing', which is not too great an exaggeration.  There is a possible narrative here, but not with Yuzu, and that is a quad duel between Boyang and Nathan.  That, though, will be essentially a sideshow.  In any case that finishes off the authentic contenders for gold.

Javi and Patrick are essentially outliers.  For them gold is probably only possible if Yuzu and the other three have a collective meltdown.  Javi is, of course, coming off a very impressive win at Europeans, nailing his sixth straight European title.  That probably has him more than ready for PC, but while his quads are acceptable they are not as numerous as the other four and none of the contenders have quads as impressive and GOE-earning as Yuzu when he's skating inspired.  Like Johnny Weir said - "It's not the quads, it's the quality of the quads".   And, I might add, the quality of everything else.  As for Patrick, he's added some jumps but his forte has always been his PCS points.  The thing is that Yuzu is a most definite rival there so when push comes to shove if Yuzu is skating more than clean, Patrick doesn't stand a chance.  Javi and Patrick, if they skate at their best, do have a shot at a podium position, just not the one with greatest altitude.

At one time I thought Mikhail Kolyada had a shot for the gold or at least a podium position, but while he took gold at the Russian nationals, at the GPF and Europeans he only bronzed.  I think part of his problem is his FS program, which is done to a medley of Elvis songs.  Quite frankly neither his costume nor his clean-cut boy next-door looks match the music and I think some of the judges are put off by the discordance there.  As a point for comparison look at Yuzu's  Parisian Walkways and Let's Go Crazy.  In both those programs Yuzu embodied the music both choreographically and visually.  Now, I might be wrong about Mikhail, but that's my feeling here.  As one who is old enough to remember the first time Elvis appeared on the Ed Sullivan show in the USA (although I've never been an Elvis fan - For me the music I want to listen to has always been classical), I have first-hand knowledge of the Elvis mania that swept the country at that time, a mania that was strengthened when Elvis was drafted and without hesitation he went and served his country, a move that cemented his reputation even amongst those not given to admire his performance content and practice.  As I said I might be wrong here but the discordance between Mikhail's looks and his program I think might weigh in the minds of some of the judges.  On top of that he's not solid in his jumps and does fall sometimes (although Yuzu is hardly immune there).

In summary my feeling is that Shoma and Nathan have the best chance of dethroning Yuzu, with Boyang a possibility there also, but I think that is dependent on Yuzu and the other two having an off day.  I will be surprised, however if Boyang doesn't make the podium, as both Nathan and Shoma are inconsistent enough to make for a vacancy there.  Patrick and Javi have shots for the podium but gold is very unlikely, for reasons stated above.  Mikhail is an outlier even for a podium spot.

So that's how I see things.  I'm sure there are others of far greater expertise disagreeing so I most definitely would welcome them to the discussion.  We're close enough now that discussion of what the results might be is relevant as since the regular season is behind us all the data is there that we need to make predictions.  The Joker in the deck, however, is that the star of all these proceeding, one Yuzuru Hanyu, has been out of the public eye for nearly three months.  As I said about this situation in an earlier post, Yuzu is essentially beginning a second season.  I don't know if that situation has ever occurred before (there is a parallel with Evgenia's situation this season, though, and also with Boyang's much briefer absence, making this very much a season of the walking wounded).  For me, the one bit of information I am most anticipating is whether Yuzu will be in the team competition.  I do wish they'd hurry up and put that issue to rest.