General Yuzuru Chat

29 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

I think the second photo is donutty as well  but the angle makes it look more elliptical. 

I love the donut shape, though. I really don't like those tear-drop shaped biellmanns. The donut looks so much more tense and dramatic and passionate. It was just made for the climax of RJ1. It looks like he's producing the voice of the chorus in that WC performance.  That's the moment of the program that stops my heart everytime. :tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg:

I think he did improve leg extension though.

Yuzuru' Beillmann does look very passionate and dramatic. 

I was just wondering whether it looks the way it does because of personal preference or other factors.

14 minutes ago, moonkat said:

I was just wondering whether it looks the way it does because of personal preference or other factors.

I love the way he releases the leg now, it's amazing how he's always trying to improve something in everything he does:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Talking about Bielmann and Donut spins, I've sometimes wondered if it would be possible to go directly from a Bielmann to a Donut or vice versa.  It would certainly make an impact and if it was possible for any skater to do it, Yuzu would be the one because of his flexibility.  I remember this one video of him doing a really good-looking Bielmann when he was competing in the novice class back when he was just nine years old.  This highlights one aspect of Yuzu's skating that is often overlooked when everybody's concentrating on the jumps, and that is Yuzu racks up a lot of points with his spins, which are always complex and centered.  There are few out there who can match him on his spins.  Going back to the Bielmann and Donut, I really would like Yuzu to attempt a combination spin with those two directly linked.  I wonder what the point value might be.  If he did it successfully it would certainly rack up some GOEs and some extra points on the PCS side of the scoreboard also.

50 minutes ago, moonkat said:

I think it helps that he builds his programs based on the music. Not only his jumps, but his spins and biellmanns are sometimes when the music reaches a pinnacle or tied to the music, to the point I get excited and chills through just watching his emotive spins.

5 minutes ago, moonkat said:

I do think that the flexibility is an issue with those grown out muscles...if you look at ladies biellmans you actually can notice small folds of fats at the joint of their raised leg and bottom (or close to the line of their costume material). Fat is softer (which makes it actually harder to rotate- that's why the well boiled egg will rotate quicker than the not boiled egg, sorry for my culinary digression xD) , so it's also easier to move it under your skin, as gross as it sounds, while if you were able to do this to your muscles, you would be risking high (er than it already is) probability of joint damage  With our previous talk on Yuzuru being basically 97-98% meat and bones, I don't think he simply has enough fat to cushion the extension (because that also is part of the fat near hips' job), and actually, the thing he does now with his leg release is actually pretty astounding in itself- he compensates for the lack of fat-provided flexibility with the reach of his limbs and twist of his body, all this on one (!) skate, without losing control of the spin.

That being said, it's also the reason why you either have stabile jumps OR flexible spins-unless you're Yuzuru, who finds a way around/above ANY obstacle in the way of his perfect skate (I mean, his donut is basically a math work made to look effortless, but it wouldn't be actually possible for anybody with even slightly shorter limbs-he uses their length to lessen the unnaturality of the angle his joints have to set themselves into. He takes the importance off of the flexibility by using his natural body assets):10636614:

Ahem, this concludes my Ode to Hanyu knowing his body and actually playing with the cards it gives to him. A poker, against the natural physics.:13877886:

OT, but, can Chinese/Chinese knowing fans take a look at this and tell em about what is that song? Because beginning sounds like something I'd love, especially connected with Yuzu (Sometimes I wish I have learned all the languages, just so that I can hear the words rather than imagine myself it's just separate syllabes :tantrum:[yes, my brain produced that thought just today and I'm ashamed of myself:facepalm:] as it is, I get distracted by singing here than actually enjoy it, and it's only my own brain's fault:gaah:)

(and the mad is so well done, TOO)

2 hours ago, Aotoshiro said:

With our previous talk on Yuzuru being basically 97-98% meat and bones, I don't think he simply has enough fat to cushion the extension (because that also is part of the fat near hips' job), and actually, the thing he does now with his leg release is actually pretty astounding in itself- he compensates for the lack of fat-provided flexibility with the reach of his limbs and twist of his body, all this on one (!) skate, without losing control of the spin

Actually I think Yuzu's flexibility, particularly in relation to the hips, is not dependent on fat/muscle ratio.  It should be noted that in the 'fall heard round the world' last autumn Yuzu fell into a virtually perfect split and there was no mention of problems in his pelvic region.  It looks like he has that pelvic variant that enables ballet dancers to have perfect turnout.  With that advantage he can do a lot of things other skaters can't do.  I will go along on the matter of flexibility in the knees and ankles, although Yuzu would not have achieved what he has and continues to achieve were he not above the norm in flexibility in those joints, despite his leanness there.  As for the Bielmann, Johnny Weir once made the remark that the Bielmann actually depends more on flexibility in the shoulders than elsewhere.  What I think we have to deal with as far as Yuzu, and indeed other skaters, is that all those jumps are having an impact (pun intended) on the joints of the knees and ankles.  You just can't keep bashing them and expect to get away with it.  It reminds me of a young man I knew some years back who was involved with the training of special forces in the US Army.  He finally had to retire from the military because all the parachute jumps he'd been involved with over the years had wrecked his knees.  The same goes for skaters.  I think Yuzu is less affected than many other skaters because of the nature of his landings, which are as much about moving horizontally immediately as his blades hit the ice as actually making the landing.  The landing, as such, is cushioned somewhat.  Much of the impact is deflected by the immediate motion across the ice that is so distinctive in his landings and gains him all those GOEs.  We do have to remember that flexibility in the joints is at first a product of heredity and only then increased through special training regimens.  Look at gymnasts, particularly the ladies.  They have very little body-fat.  If we look at Yuzu, what we see is that he has much greater flexibility than other skaters almost everywhere, despite his low body-fat ratio.  He's just built better to bend better.

3 hours ago, Elaine said:

There is always a pre-sale for FS tickets in Canada. Make sure you subscribe Skate Canada info email. They normally send you pre-sale info with the access code around 15-30 mins prior to start time of the pre-sale. Basically all good seats would be gone after pre-sale. If you are looking for front rows, don't wait till the general sale.

I wish I had known this before they sold everything. :13877886:

10 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

or join us in the cacti corner:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

If I win that trip, for sure!

That was odd, though. I only saw the presale was a thing after it started but from how it seemed to let people choose seats I would have though for sure the public sale would be the same. It's still slightly better than the lottery system, though. :P

7 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

If I win that trip, for sure!

That was odd, though. I only saw the presale was a thing after it started but from how it seemed to let people choose seats I would have though for sure the public sale would be the same. It's still slightly better than the lottery system, though. :P

i was able to choose my seats tho