General Yuzuru Chat

15 minutes ago, Floria said:

I knew I should start learning Japanese some day :laughing:

I kind of almost screamed in the office lol I need this like air! From that, I'm not sure it'll be that different from Aoi Honoo... those are interviews with him, too. But new interviews sounds good! Maybe with luck I'll be able to get that and have it shipped before I leave for Milan...

20 minutes ago, Floria said:

Did they have to publish this right after I give out New Year's money to the younger ones in my family?

55 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Just unloading thoughts... and offering a silver lining to the injury and subsequent zuzu media blackout. (warning: wall of text)

One of the things I feared with the Olympic season is the amount of negative press Yuzu would get now that USFS has a legit OGM contender. I know most don't care for their opinion but for a lot of people (including the every 4 years fans), US media is probably going to be the first piece of information they'll come across. I still remember Vancouver 2010 and how they propped up Lysacek against Plushenko (Russian jumping robot, no artistry, no transitions) and even against their very own skater (Evan is the face of Men's skating.. is manly as opposed to Weir).

With Yuzu's injury I've noticed that the media has actually been not that terrible as I feared (some even kind? Philly for example). But then again, it would only reflect badly on them if they talked down someone who was injured. The worst they could say now is that Yuzu is trying to keep up with Nathan with the quads... which if you break it down is not so far from the truth. He did increase his BV because he wanted to be competitive with the younger guys which includes but is not limited to Nathan. In Canada's case, they've given him the jumper moniker versus the artists (Chiddy)... which is funny to me because it feels like they're still salty about Sochi. This is how they've described him in 2014 and I see they still haven't moved on.

They could talk inconsistency but who has been consistent? They say that about Nathan this season (he's won Gold in all his competitions so far) but none of his wins are really overwhelmingly decisive wins. And they cannot compare it to Yuzu because Yuzu's been MIA this season. If they talk about Nathan defeating Yuzu at 4CC last year, they cannot escape saying that Yuzu is still the current World Champion and Nathan was off podium (boot issues you know).

They can nitpick the only competitions Yuzu had of course. ACI - yes, he finished second and had one of the worst FS in his senior career but he also (re)set the SP world record with a watered down program all the while having leg pain (releasing that info to the press was absolutely a good move). How about COR? Yes, Nathan won but only by a small margin and not exactly a decisive win because Yuzu wasn't clean (but delivered and landed his first 4Lz in competition).

So where does that leave media outlets (particularly US media)? Nothing... because there is barely news on Yuzu and talking badly about someone who was injured is never a good look.

Yes, this season has been weird. People have won, but it seems that other than the earlier victories, the later international victories for the men were not "decisive"- too many points were left on the table, and injuries just went up throughout the season. If anything, it seems that nerves made the men peak too early.   If they keep on mentioning Yuzu being out due to injury, they only make it more "heroic" if Yuzu shows up and performs well. And never underestimate the "return from injury" boost that sometimes will show up in scores. As for artistic vs athletic-I don't think they can toss Yuzu easily into either corner, anyone who has curiosity can check on Youtube. This is a different situation from 2010, where word from media carried more weight and people are less likely to verify. If anything, those shade throwing might actually get Yuzu more fans from those who bother to check out Youtube. 

22 時間前, getsurenkaさんが言いました:

One of the things he wrote on his notebook. His character really didn't change since young.

22 時間前, Fayさんが言いました:

what did he write? 

20 時間前, SuzyQさんが言いました:

14歳の頃のノート。「先生や連盟の方からは褒めてはもらったが、自分の実力はこんなものかときめつけられたみたいですごく悔しかった」と書かれている。自分を信じて常に向上しようとする姿は今と同じ。

Note written at the age of 14.  "Coach and the federation people praised me, but it is like my ability was judged just as such, I felt really frustrated."  Believing himself, and trying to keep improving.  He has not changed since young.

Here's my take on this thing he wrote almost a decade ago:

"The coach and people from the fed said good things about me, but it's also like I'm being told this is all I can do and it's good enough, which really drove me nuts."

1 時間前, Floriaさんが言いました:

I knew I should start learning Japanese some day :laughing:

Lol. Why do people keep saying he wrote these books himself like he actually sat down and deliberately thought up words to be specifically published as a book? Everything published under his name is more compilation of the things he's said or written as some kind of journal entry or anecdotes of his utterances. I mean the entry-style writing in Aoi Honoo II I guess can technically be said were written by him but if these are basically just a bunch of stuff he's said in interviews, calling it "written by" sounds like a bit of a stretch. >_<

Don't get me wrong, if the words are wholly his and published into book format, he should be credited as the author but introducing the book as being written by him, unless inverted commas are used, just strikes me as very odd choice of words. Of course, I may have understood what's being said here wrongly. What does interviews "by himself" mean anyway? 

*Ordering it when it comes out*

1 минуту назад, MrPudding сказал:

I just finished learning katakana and now off to learning hiragana for yuzu.. then i'll learn the grammar......... :headdesk:

My nightmare right now :facepalm:

But the biggest problem will be how to translate kanji from printed text :offtopic:

21 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Lol. Why do people keep saying he wrote these books himself like he actually sat down and deliberately thought up words to be specifically published as a book? Everything published under his name are more compilation of the things he's said or written as some kind of journal entry or anecdotes of his utterances. I mean the entry-style writing in the Aoi Honoo II I guess can technically be said were written by him but if these are basically just a bunch of stuff he's said in interviews, calling it "written by" sounds like a bit of a stretch. >_<

Don't get me wrong, if the words are wholly his and published into book format, he should be credited as the author but introducing the book as being written by him just strikes me as very odd choice of words. Unless I understood what's being said here wrongly. What does interviews "by himself" mean anyway?

I think the translation is by someone who doesn't have English as their first language, so it shouldn't be taken literally. In the original description I think the emphasis is that this is book he was involved in, as opposed to other books, like Yuzuru Method or whatever that was called, which are about him, but he wasn't involved in directly.

I am however hoping this one might have new interviews, for the book, as opposed to being a compilation of things said originally for other purposes... but I won't hold my breath.

But I agree it's a bit misleading. Before getting my own copies, I did wonder if they were autobiographies like Javi's and it was only when I got them that I saw the format. I guess it still fits with him as author because most relevant information comes from him, but... yeah.

5 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I think the translation is by someone who doesn't have English as their first language, so it shouldn't be taken literally. In the original description I think the emphasis is that this is book he was involved in, as opposed to other books, like Yuzuru Method or whatever that was called, which are about him, but he wasn't involved in directly.

I am however hoping this one might have new interviews, for the book, as opposed to being a compilation of things said originally for other purposes... but I won't hold my breath.

But I agree it's a bit misleading. Before getting my own copies, I did wonder if they were autobiographies like Javi's and it was only when I got them that I saw the format. I guess it still fits with him as author because most relevant information comes from him, but... yeah.

I wonder if he would share more about how he goes about choosing music-since the tweet by Iron Klaus mentioned having his views on his recent programs. Now that he's older, he probably has more concrete views on artistry.

What I would love to have though, is the english translation of Brian's book on training Yuzu. That would be enlightening.

51 分, KatjaTheraさんが言いました:

Truth be told, I actually enjoyed Yuzuru Method more than I did the Aoi Honoo books. Maybe it's cos I enjoy reading and hearing what others say about him more than hearing him talk about himself. I also seem to prefer opinion articles and blogs written about him and programs that talk about him, no matter how long or short, than actual news about him and interviews with him, though the latter is, of course, always welcome. xD 

Whatever this is, if it's an honest-to-goodness book about him and there's a lot of text in it, I'll likely be buyin' it. >_<