General Yuzuru Chat

You know, only he and the team know what his status really is like right now. It could be that he's doing really well or... not. The Olympics are the goal and that's where they're going to throw it all on the line... sure, it's risky, but if he will only be ready in time for Olympics, there's no reason to try 4CC.  2 weeks can make a huge difference in being ready. It sure is going to be a wild ride for everyone... him, his team, his fans... i can hardly wait.

17 minutes ago, Floria said:

I don't know why but I'm not really worried about Yuzuru not going to 4CC.  One can go to 4CC, skate perfectly there and then bomb at Olympics. Anything  can happen. So after all it only  depends on his physical condition and  especially  on his mindset the day of SP and the day of FS.

4CC gold is cursed, we've established this

19 minutes ago, Floria said:

I don't know why but I'm not really worried about Yuzuru not going to 4CC.  One can go to 4CC, skate perfectly there and then bomb at Olympics. Anything  can happen. So after all it only  depends on his physical condition and  especially  on his mindset the day of SP and the day of FS.

My fear was that he would go to 4CC and re-injure himself and not be able to compete in the Olympics at all. I'm relieved he's not doing 4CC.

13 minutes ago, liv said:

You know, only he and the team know what his status really is like right now. It could be that he's doing really well or... not. The Olympics are the goal and that's where they're going to throw it all on the line... sure, it's risky, but if he will only be ready in time for Olympics, there's no reason to try 4CC.  2 weeks can make a huge difference in being ready. It sure is going to be a wild ride for everyone... him, his team, his fans... i can hardly wait.

And I believe throwing it all on the line is the best strategy at this point. Get in the best physical shape possible and then go for it. And as Floria just said, doing well at 4CC guarantees nothing and he could still bomb at the Olympics.

30 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

Worry-wart alert!

Now that the dice has fallen, and there's no more speculation on who is going where, suddenly my heart decided that it should start worrying now that Yuzu seems to have no international competitions between now and PC. Oh goody, another few weeks of worrying. :S

It is a legitimate concern, I don't think it's useful to ignore reality. He's always needed competitions to ease into. But on the other hand, there's the massive plus in terms of his ability to quickly attain high level of form, which was not a blessing before but will be a huge one now. So some worry will remain, I don't think we can be super blase about what's happening, this has been a terrible season yet at the same time I think we have enough positives to make us feel hopeful too! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

I always have a feeling Yuzuru will be fine at Olys. Many things are against him now, but on the hindsight he has two comfortable program, that he has no problem in term of interpretation and selling it. He is under the radar so the pressure won't be that sky high anymore. The other top contenders did not skate very well until now, their score didn't rise through the roof. Yuzuru has the disadvantages, but others has their own problems too. I agree with @liv, two weeks can make a big different.Just like in WC15, Brian said Yuzuru need 2 more weeks and he really skate better at WTT, he's the type who can peak and reach top condition real fast. Olys is the comp where he can go all out, not 4CC. Keep calm and believe in him. Pray and send all healing and positive vibes to him everyday :grouphug: 

28 minutes ago, Floria said:

Yeah, you’re right. I know he can overcome this challenge of not doing any other competition before the olympics. After all, he kind of likes challenges. 

6 minutes ago, GoldMedalist said:

So, he isn't doing any competitions before the olympics? Is this a good idea? :smiley-scared005:

It's a question of options, he simply isn't ready enough for 4CC. So it is what it is. They'll make the best of it hopefully. He's ridiculously talented, so that is on his side. No, it's not ideal but you play with the cards you've been dealt. That's what counts, how you play it!

I refuse to worry about Yuzuru not having a competition before the Olympics  

I will firmly believe that he will be ready and deliver his best performances there

I will have only positive thoughts from now on no matter what, and I don't care about reality or whatever

That is my resolution for the new year :hachimaki:

Go Yuzu, show the world who is the champion, I believe in you  :smiley-happy105:

So happy to hear the news that yuzu is going to represent Japan at Pyeongchang. I just started following his competition last 4CC but I was able to calm and not so worried even after NHK accident. Idk I think I just believe him so much. I just want him to be healthy to skate. I miss him so much. I want to see him skating soon. Gimme Chopin and SEIMEI! :snonegai:

At this point,  none of the other top contenders, are showing any kind of form that lets the world know they are front runners. Recent events show them all to be off form, although we haven't seen Boyang or Patrick recently... and only last week did we even hear that Patrick is feeling motivated again. No one is stepping up to be the front runner in this horse race right now... they all seem to be highly strung and not performing, building, or biding their time, so Yuzu with his own situation is perfectly in the mix. It's basically 6/7 weeks until go time. Good luck.

22 minutes ago, liv said:

At this point,  none of the other top contenders, are showing any kind of form that lets the world know they are front runners. Recent events show them all to be off form, although we haven't seen Boyang or Patrick recently... and only last week did we even hear that Patrick is feeling motivated again. No one is stepping up to be the front runner in this horse race right now... they all seem to be highly strung and not performing, building, or biding their time, so Yuzu with his own situation is perfectly in the mix. It's basically 6/7 weeks until go time. Good luck.

Yes to this. So far, this season is just weird. It's a bit like 05/06 lead up to Torino, only the guys in second and third (in men's at least) haven't gone clean in the absence of the guy who normally wins GPF.  If anything, the Olys is the only time we'll see how the guys truly stack against each other, and where experience and the ability to handle pressure plays a larger part. 

In Yuzu's case, he can just go for it-of all the guys, he has nothing to lose. Anything he does is just icing on the cake. This somewhat applies to Patrick and Javi too, less to Boyang. But the other quadsters (Shoma, Nate) all have far too much to prove, and it seems to be affecting them a lot.