General Yuzuru Chat

Now it's official he has WD in Japan Nationals. It has came as no surprise, since they announced recently his injuries and he was still. off the ice. I am not optimistic about his chance of winning the gold medal in the Olympics. Like Javi said, a medal of any colour is fine for himself (for Javi). I just hope Yuzuru will get well soon, will be able to train for the Olympics. I just hope for him to be able to go to the Olympics, skate well, two beautiful programs, even with 3 or 4 quads, no quad loop or lutz. He can win a medal with a content like at world 2017. A medal of any colour is a big win for me. The most important thing for me is he is happy and healthy again. I don't care anymore about winning with a world record every time he competes. He is a human being, not a machine to jump many quads everyday. To train many quads everyday is a risk for every skater.

I want to stay positive and hope for Yuzuru to be able to skate again and prepare for the Olympics.

The most important thing for him is his health.

@Vadrouille

Lol. That's good. We need some pessimism to even out the scales a bit. And yours isn't too much of a downer. Too much optimism can be scary, too. I'm neither here not there myself because the dude is way too unpredictable. It's not a matter of whether or not he can, because he can. It's more a matter of whether he will or won't.

4 quads with or without a loop in his FS clean, with a clean 2-quad SP preceding it would most certainly guarantee a win for Yuzuru Hanyu. The lowest difficulty he'll allow himself, so long as he skates it clean, would still see him topping the podium by a comfortable margin. Said margin really is that wide, but it can only be seen when he presents clean skates, like what he did for his SP back in ACI. Why else do you think people are nagging at him to lower his damn difficulty? >_<

I'd love to see him keep the ACI SP layout. Doesn't mean I expect him to though.

My hopes are still pinned on the gold. And I think he needs to aim for that in order to skate well. Just aiming for the podium like Javi—it doesn't seem to be his nature. That said, my loyalty won't change even if he loses.

It is also true that the public can fall in love with a non-winner even moreso than the gold medalist. Janet Lynn, Denise Biellmann, Michelle Kwan... there are many such cases. Not to mention the many very forgettable gold medalists...

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Uh, well it's designer purple track suits. And besides, 4Lo is publicly acknowledged as very pretty. =D He just needs to sulk a bit less in public events now. 

4Lo as the pretty boy with the hair and the leaning and the pants? I knew there was a reason for my infatuation! :10742290: 

Awesome AU, @Xen<3

Even without his jumps, I wish he was well enough to appear in the Nats gala, unfortunately if he just got on ice recently he may not be far along enough (not to mention the trolls that would have a field day with him missing the competition but appearing for an ex). Right now I don't miss Yuzu in competitions and all the nail-biting that comes with it as much as I actually just miss his skating and happiness.

I still wonder if he's going to stay in Canada through the new year. In a normal season he would probably be in Japan with at least a few days of rest I would think, but maybe rest and being off ice isn't what he really needs right now. And well I guess its better than 2014 with him having to spend new years in a hospital or 2016 with a flu. I shouldn't be so picky.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I came across a Chinese commentary on Yuzu's Notte Stellata ex for World Championships Helsinki 2017.

It has Chinese and Japanese subtitles for those who can understand.

I've did a quick translation, which is by no means professional. I bolded the favorite part of the commentary.

Next year (at around the same time), he will once again present an unparalleled program.

Next up, we have the Olympic Champion, Yuzuru Hanyu. He made a mistake and was 5th in the SP, but he gave a huge comeback in his free and ultimately regained his place as the Champion on the podium.

*Notte Stellata* (They didn’t comment during the Ex)

There are some poetic phrases…I’ll try my best to translate…

幸得识卿桃花面,从此阡陌多暖春。

Ever since I’ve had the fortune to see your smile brilliant like a cherry blossom, I have felt more warmth as I walk through the paths of lives.

We are extremely fortunate to have known Yuzuru Hanyu at his prime.

时光做度、眉目成书。

You can read the eyebrows of a person, who has been through many life experiences, as if you were reading a book about his life.

From now on, our sincere and deep feelings will not be let down.

Every moments of youth will age, but in our memories there will always be a place reserved for Yuzuru Hanyu.

In this season, Yuzuru Hanyu has the best free program and the best overall score (just for the season).

What’s most noble about a person isn’t about surpassing others, but about surpassing oneself. Therefore, for this free program, we can say that Yuzuru Hanyu has defeated Yuzuru Hanyu.

9 hours ago, MrPudding said:

euros on twitter now :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

TAT being savage like that xD

8 hours ago, MrPudding said:

:knc_tracy2:

Actually, I'm pretty sure the pair practicing their routine right after are either Pair or Ice Dancers, a I don't recall other artistic sports with mixed disciplines-that being said, he's the only one on the ice!

6 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

So it's official ... he wd ... well, it's for the best, but i'm still so sad abt the whole situation  :dry:... why ... he was suppose to be healthy and happy and to win all this season :smiley-sad016: ... but, it is what it is ... get well soon, dear Yuzu, and may God help you to fulfill your dream, the second OGM! :0006:

Random thought but it's just the skating gods making sure he has to stay for one more year to win anything and everything, and avoid his usual trolling... though I doubt he would troll us about that so...damn you, skating gods!

5 hours ago, MrPudding said:

Happy Bday Brian

i NEEDED TO SEE THAT PURPLE COMPARISION, THANK YOU!  Also, happy birthday to Brian!

4 hours ago, katonice said:

Tweets for 4CC tickets are popping up. Just a heads up that further additional tickets (mostly 3F) have been made available. 

I'm sorry, I know you meand 3rd floor, but my first thought was "What's a Triple Flip ticket?":facepalm:

4 hours ago, Fay said:

Argh, did they have to insert the info about Chen the undefeated skater this season into this? 

2 hours ago, MrPudding said:

his jumps getting prepared :laughing:

Oh, god...

1 hour ago, Forcefield said:

Reading this, I kind of feel for Chen. Maybe that's why his ubers and the media keeps on pushing the ballet training story, and that he has the best posture out of the bunch (which tbh is not a priority for me unless it's really noticeable and bad).

But really, Chen's strength for me would be his confidence, which is something I really like in Hanyu as well, and seems to be lacking in his fp as the season builds, imo.

Actually, I probably should put it in the general skating chat but, does he really have the best posture? Because balletic posture is something that for me translates to elegant strength, not to stiffness in the back I feel from Nate when he isn't in his StSeq...I'm sorry...

52 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Had he gone ahead to compete at Nats this year, if he came in first, he'd qualify for both the 1st and 3rd spots, if he came in 2nd, he'd qualify for the 2nd and 3rd ones. He'd be overqualified. Just like back in 2013 when his results basically qualify him for all 3 spots. Either way, that 3rd spot has had his name written on it since his victory in Helsinki.

Lol, they should have let the boy skate three times in three different groups and choose the best performance then xD just kidding I know the stamina isn't that light matter... plus the Men in Japan were crazy deep back then.

2 minutes ago, Aotoshiro said:

Actually, I probably should put it in the general skating chat but, does he really have the best posture? Because balletic posture is something that for me translates to elegant strength, not to stiffness in the back I feel from Nate when he isn't in his StSeq...I'm sorry...

To be reeeeeal honest? I only said it because it's been rehashed over and over by the media and ubers - the thing about repeating until it sticks? it works for casuals like me who don't know anything about ballet or posture. That's how PR or propaganda works, right? That ballet is what sets Chen a part? And that's also why for me posture or ballet doesn't matter, unless I notice it (because then even if to an untrained eye like me it's a problem then its a problem) and why I roll my eyes when ubers bring up his ballet training YET AGAIN. Like: I know that about Chen and since I'm no expert sure why not, but I still think Yuzu looks the most elegant anyway.

In other words, I see what you see.

I remember complaints about Yuzu's poster on different forums during his first senior years and even during Oly season. Personally it never bothered me and I was more or less a casual viewer (watched Euros, Worlds and Olys only never digging into technical stuff/protocols/forums etc.). The boy clearly had sense of music and charisma that what's caught my eye at first. So I don't get what's the point of all this "balletic" talk and why it should matter in men's singles of all things. OK, nice posture is good (great that Yuzu worked on it) but overall musicality/presence on ice/charisma/good choreo/original elements - that's the things that can make an athlete stand out (for me at least, you can also add wow jumps such as Boyang's 4Lz in the mix). And Nathan has some nice qualities I just feel like with every FS this season the far the more it all goes to waste (though can't blame him for trying to go the highest BV path - everybody wants to win after all that's why the guys are at this level of skating).

1 hour ago, Vadrouille said:

Now it's official he has WD in Japan Nationals. It has came as no surprise, since they announced recently his injuries and he was still. off the ice. I am not optimistic about his chance of winning the gold medal in the Olympics. Like Javi said, a medal of any colour is fine for himself (for Javi). I just hope Yuzuru will get well soon, will be able to train for the Olympics. I just hope for him to be able to go to the Olympics, skate well, two beautiful programs, even with 3 or 4 quads, no quad loop or lutz. He can win a medal with a content like at world 2017. A medal of any colour is a big win for me. The most important thing for me is he is happy and healthy again. I don't care anymore about winning with a world record every time he competes. He is a human being, not a machine to jump many quads everyday. To train many quads everyday is a risk for every skater.

I want to stay positive and hope for Yuzuru to be able to skate again and prepare for the Olympics.

The most important thing for him is his health.

It would be so much easier for me as a fan if Yuzu simply expressed wanting to just aim for the podium.  But knowing it would mean the world to him to win and  anything but gold would be crushing, especially considering these circumstances, it's why I can't truly be satisfied with anything else but gold.  I'm going to these games and they were on the plan for me since 2011 before I really even knew about Yuzu. I wish I could go in like I will for the team event, essentially not caring and just trying to enjoy the skating.  But my empathy is just too great. I want it for him so bad because he wants it so bad and the quality of his skating when he's able to put it all together shows he deserves it so much. Realistically, I know it's better to temper my expectations, but Yuzu doesn't always make me rational.  

55 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

To be reeeeeal honest? I only said it because it's been rehashed over and over by the media and ubers - the thing about repeating until it sticks? it works for casuals like me who don't know anything about ballet or posture. That's how PR or propaganda works, right? That ballet is what sets Chen a part? And that's also why for me posture or ballet doesn't matter, unless I notice it (because then even if to an untrained eye like me it's a problem then its a problem) and why I roll my eyes when ubers bring up his ballet training YET AGAIN. Like: I know that about Chen and since I'm no expert sure why not, but I still think Yuzu looks the most elegant anyway.

Yeah honestly, me neither? I gotta give Nathan credit for doing a ridiculous number of quads without succumbing to the "wet noodle" skating that Yuzu was so often crucified for in the past, although I'm not sure I prefer stiffness, tbh. Like, maybe Nathan has a better core due to having also danced, but if his SS aren't up to par, it doesn't translate well onto the ice. I know there are differences -- Nathan is doing far more quads than Yuzu was at his age, but Yuzu was already sinking all of the big elements (to quote B.ESP) into his footwork before Sochi. In his FS in particular, I feel like Nathan is just going from element to element with crossovers so it's ... probably not that hard to keep a decent posture tbh? If you compare Yuzu at 18/19 and Nathan at 18/19, sure, I think you can say Nathan's better, but now? I feel like there's no comparison. Yuzu's back posture is always so beautiful (gorgeous landing positions, ina bauer, inside/outside spread eagles, that beautiful moment in Chopin 3.0), with full extension + arched back, smooth + effortless + not rushed movement, and wonderful glide and deep edges. If all of those things contribute to "posture" then Yuzu looks like the actual dancer on the ice IMO.

5 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

Like: I know that about Chen and since I'm no expert sure why not, but I still think Yuzu looks the most elegant anyway.

xD That brings back the memory of when I read the x-monster's post about lines in figure skating, where she apoogised since her examples were all screenshots and I still wanted to save each and every of them, because 

How.The.Heck.You.Make.It.Look.So.Graceful