General Yuzuru Chat

50 minutes ago, singcarcom said:

I feel mean....I suddenly have this thought "I hope Yuzu keeps his hair and figure when he's Brian's age". :slinkaway:

If Yuzu goes professional and does ice shows (fortunately ice shows are big in Japan), he probably won't be the same but close. Shizuka and some of the Japanese skaters seems to be still in shape, even if not to the point of competitive and that might also be due to age too.

2 hours ago, MrPudding said:

I got the translation,

Suzuki didn’t actually promise that the prizewinner will be able to skate with Yuzu or run with Kiryu. He said that the prizewinner will be able to enjoy sports with an athlete or a team he/she prefers. Then the press asked him if he/she will be able to skate with Yuzu or run with Kiryu, and he answered that it depends, but they’ll do their best.

書類選考やプレゼンを経て、長官賞に輝いた施策は国が実施を検討する。副賞には、希望するアスリートと一緒にスポーツ体験ができる特典を用意するという。

フィギュアスケートの羽生結弦選手と一緒に滑ったり、陸上の桐生祥秀選手と100メートルを走ったりすることもできるのかと担当者に尋ねると、「アスリートによってできる、できないはあるかもしれないが、スポーツ庁として最大限努力をさせていただく」。

5 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

Suzuki didn’t actually promise that the prizewinner will be able to skate with Yuzu or run with Kiryu. He said that the prizewinner will be able to enjoy sports with an athlete or a team he/she prefers. Then the press asked him if he/she will be able to skate with Yuzu or run with Kiryu, and he answered that it depends, but they’ll do their best.

Hm, I still don't like it. Its like tricking the public or putting click-bait, but well I also do understand the need to use popular athletes for marketing and its not like the guy name-dropped anyone without first being prompted. Still, integrity though. Hopefully everyone's onboard.

17 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

Hm, I still don't like it. Its like tricking the public or putting click-bait, but well I also do understand the need to use popular athletes for marketing and its not like the guy name-dropped anyone without first being prompted. Still, integrity though. Hopefully everyone's onboard.

Yeah, I don’t like it either. They should not use any athlete as their tool, and most of those who would want to skate with Yuzu would not want anyone to bother Yuzu, especially at this moment.

1 hour ago, Forcefield said:

Is this part of that Suzuki plan thing I found when I googled JSA? Something about an initiative to help Japan win more medals in the summer olympics? 

If so, why drag Yuzu into this? He's a winter sports champion, and while I'm sure he'd love to be a torch relay runner for Japan for 2020, I don't see the link between skating with Yuzu and the summer games. Unless Suzuki really wants to extend his initiative to the winter sports too? Though Japan isn't doing too shabby. 

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

Is this part of that Suzuki plan thing I found when I googled JSA? Something about an initiative to help Japan win more medals in the summer olympics? 

If so, why drag Yuzu into this? He's a winter sports champion, and while I'm sure he'd love to be a torch relay runner for Japan for 2020, I don't see the link between skating with Yuzu and the summer games. Unless Suzuki really wants to extend his initiative to the winter sports too? Though Japan isn't doing too shabby. 

If its about summer sports, then really doesn't make much sense, yeah. But I saw a video once I think of Yuzu cheering on the JPN soccer team promo? so anything goes maybe.

Or y'know, he can just take up archery. :xD:

3 hours ago, Forcefield said:

f Yuzu goes professional and does ice shows (fortunately ice shows are big in Japan), he probably won't be the same but close.

I think Yuzu will likely be much the same physically.  You can tell by the shape of his face that age will not radically redesign his physique.  We know how Brian has put on weight, but if you look at Kurt Browning, roughly of the same generation, you'll see pretty much the physique Kurt had in his competition days (although his hairline has most definitely receded).  The idea of Yuzu doing ice shows is I think valid, but Yuzu being Yuzu, he's very likely, I think, to organize a show of his own, basically creating something that represents his idea of what skating should be.  John Curry tried that back in his days after he retired (after taking the Olympic gold in 1976).  I really don't think Yuzu, given the magnitude of his achievements, would like to spend years of his life skating to someone else's tune.  He'd like to be the one in charge, and with his reputation it would not be difficult for him to acquire skaters willing to be part of HIS show.  Then, once age begins to take its toll, I can see him turning to coaching.  He'd have no difficulty in lining up any promising young talents.  Just some speculation on my part, but I think the important thing is the Yuzu after competition will not easily go the ice show route unless he's in charge.