General Yuzuru Chat

On a side note, an interesting tidbit I found is, 

At age 19, Yuzuru Hanyu is the youngest male figure skater to win Olympic in more than 60 years.

At age 24, Shizuka Arakawa is the oldest female figure skater to win Olympic in more than 80 years.

Wow at the parallels :smiley-laughing021:

Bonuses:

Both grew up in Sendai.

Both skated at Sendai ice rink.

Both had Nanami Abe as former skating coach.

Both are Tohoku High School graduates.

Both are students at Waseda University.

Both are the only Japanese Olympic gold medalists in figure skating (men's and women's).

Both are the only Japanese gold medalist at the respective Olympic (2006 and 2014).

Both have only earned silver medals in Four Continents Championships when they participated.

7 hours ago, axelnojutsu said:

I would absolutely electrocute myself for his old boots :mischief:

I do hope that the raccoon doesn't interfere when he finally gets clearance to go back to training on the ice - his kuyashii is probably already through the roof, no need to frustrate him any more

I'm sure you have enough self control! :mischief:

5 hours ago, fireovertheice said:

Yes this. Absolutely. I could not say better than you did :tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg:.

It's the aspect for which I always appreciated him more and above all the others male skaters since 2012: his energy, his passion and the total commitment to the program and the performance, that touch you anyway, also when they are not perfect. I chose my nick thinking of him: to me he is like a beautiful fire flying, jumping and dancing over the ice. A joy to wacth (in Italian: "Un piacere per gli occhi e per il cuore").

I hope he can recover well, to skate soon and so to warm again our heart.

That's beautiful. With the arrival of a new era of figure skating, I have no doubt that there'll be someone whose TES will surpass Yuzu significantly. But no one can ever balance tech and artistry so beautifully. We just have to be patient and have faith in Yuzu.

4 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Time-line wise, if he wanted to be competitive in Sochi, it was the best time for him to move to seniors (and I'm sure he calculated that as well). He has a whole quad and used the first 2 seasons to accumulate experience and get used to competing as a senior.

It's always amazing how Yuzu plans so far ahead. He knew he needed time to build up his stamina, which used to be his weakest point. He's planning for PC back in Sochi, it's a lot of luck that he got it back then.

2 hours ago, golden said:

yeah, shoma won national novice, got sent to national junior and won bronze in 2009, but they couldn't send him to senior nationals either because he was too young: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–10_Japan_Figure_Skating_Championships#Competition_notes same with satoko who finished 4th in the ladies.

cute podium picture from that years junior nationals:::

men.jpg

I remember seeing this photo! BB shoma is sooooo tiny!

And to dear veteran Yuzu fans, :bow::bow::bow:. This is only my first season and I'm already doubting my ability to survive this season.

12 hours ago, kaerb said:

Okay I just dug up his noodle-boy-mushroom Firebird at 2007 Jnr Nationals FS and ahh... the half-filled long side of fans and empty short sides compared to now :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: I do wonder how many of the audience members then are still his fans today...they would have followed his career for an entire decade and watched him grow up ;;  

I met a Japanese lady at ACI who has been a fan of Yuzu since he was very young . This lady ,who is 68 years old ,has four sons of her own . She has a Japanese flag with three of Yuzu’s signatures, 2011 and two in 2013. She follows Yuzu everywhere and told me that Yuzu bankrupts her ! She handmade lots of little gifts with very intricate details of Yuzu’s pics in them . She will go to Olympic to cheer for Yuzu! What a life! She is such a dedicated fan, every time she talks about Yuzu she would tilt her head to one side resting on both hands to show how cute Yuzu is, a very endearing gesture.:tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

6 minutes ago, ruruzest said:

I met a Japanese lady at ACI who has been a fan of Yuzu since he was very young . This lady who is 68 years old and has four sons of her own . She has a Japanese flags with two of Yuzu’s signatures. She follows Yuzu everywhere and told me that Yuzu bankrupts her ! She handmade lots of little gifts with very intricate details of Yuzu’s pics in them . She will go to Olympic to cheer for Yuzu! What a life!

She must be like a proud mom! :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

I was 2 years older than yuzu but I feel like a proud mom already! I just want him to be happy at the end... I miss his skating and his smile at K&C :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

12 minutes ago, ruruzest said:

I met a Japanese lady at ACI who has been a fan of Yuzu since he was very young . This lady who is 68 years old and has four sons of her own . She has a Japanese flags with three of Yuzu’s signatures, 2011 and two in 2013. She follows Yuzu everywhere and told me that Yuzu bankrupts her ! She handmade lots of little gifts with very intricate details of Yuzu’s pics in them . She will go to Olympic to cheer for Yuzu! What a life! She is such a dedicated fan, every time she talks about Yuzu she would tilt her head to one side resting on both hands to show how cute Yuzu is, the very endearing gesture.:tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

ACI Yuzu fans were amazing, we can probably organize some kind of cheer routine from the stands.

I hope Yuzu is resting properly and has a high protein diet to speed up his healing ! this  is my first season following Yuzu... and I lost count of how many times I’m in tears either from joy or pain....if he doesn’t participate in National ,then it will be three months before we see him in Olympic...:tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:  :13877886:just like  off season :13877886::13877886::13877886:

4 hours ago, beki said:

If he withdraws from Nats, I hope he’ll do the short and the long in the team event, if his physical condition permits. Because he’ll need the competition mileage after not competing for 4 months. Since Japan won’t medal, it isn’t taking a medal chance away from Shoma.

I'd prefer he do the team competition, but only the SP.  That is a really short turnaround to have to do it all again in the singles event and I would hate hate hate for him to leave his best skating on the team event ice like Lipnitskaya did (though I know she had other things going on with becoming an overnight darling of the games and being understandably spooked by it).  And I say this despite having a 2nd row seat for the team event free skate and a 4th row for the team shorts.  But I guess he and his team will decide what's best.  

7 minutes ago, beki said:

Yeah, I’m torn, because you’re right, but I feel like Seimei most needs another outing. Maybe LP instead of SP?

Maybe, but would it leave an impression if he is a little rusty with it in the team event?  But at that point it should be about as good as it's gonna get I guess.  

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

but LP isn't guaranteed if they don't do well in SP?

Japan's singles are strong enough to get it done.  

I also think he needs a LP runthrough more than the SP especially if he's going to keep the 4Lz but that gives him even less time to prepare for the 'real' SP and would be more taxing...and there's both the risk he might leave his best skating on the team ice versus the benefit of getting any nerves out of the way and giving himself kuyashii fire if he screws up.  man, I do not envy him or his team right now, I'm sweating just weighing up all his options let alone actually having to carry them out :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

8 hours ago, Fay said:

Guys, can anyone help me - did Yuzuru change his Etude costume after Nebelhorn 2011? Because in this video his costume looks quite different... - there's a green part in the centre and it's more like H&L... 

5 hours ago, kaeryth said:

My eyes aren't great but I think it's just the lighting?

Here's Etude at PIW 2011

The Ice 2011

FOI 2011

Reveal hidden contents

COC lighting sucked. COR 2011 looked a bit more bright.

Reveal hidden contents

I agree with kaeryth. Isn’t it because of the natural light coming in from the big window we see on the left of the spectators’ seat? Men’s SP was held in the evening of the day (from 16:30,) so everything looks tinted by the color of the sunset in this video. Here are some photos taken at that event by JOLUSKATING.

MM19.jpg

MM18.jpg

Source: http://joluskating.eu/2011/n11_mensp.php

But the costume in this video looks so much like H&L’s! It also makes me wonder how it would look like if he skates in H&L in natural light. (must be beautiful!) I always love watching a footage taken in Nebelhorn. I've never been there but the venue looks beautiful.

As for Shun Sato, I think Shu Namioka (浪岡秀 not sure about the pronunciation of his first name) is his coach. I heard that Shun wanted to be coached by a male coach. Don’t know much about Mr. Namioka, though.

@Aotoshiro

It was much much easier in the first few years because there were no commercial films to look for, not much news provided from the media, very few magazines to check in a season, :68468287: and I was watching figure skating in more laid-back manner, too. 

3 hours ago, kaerb said:

Okay I just dug up his noodle-boy-mushroom Firebird at 2007 Jnr Nationals FS and ahh... the half-filled long side of fans and empty short sides compared to now :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: I do wonder how many of the audience members then are still his fans today...they would have followed his career for an entire decade and watched him grow up ;;  

It's nice to see the large improvement of his skating skills but there are also things that are still with him until now like how he interprets the music up until his fingertips and how he saves his jumps using his knees. 

And sorry but can I just spazz about that hair!! :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:I love how his hair bounce everytime he moves!! Ok maybe I'll just go in the corner and spazz about his hair alone... :slinkaway:

4 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

I agree with kaeryth. Isn’t it because of the natural light coming in from the big window we see on the left of the spectators’ seat? Men’s SP was held in the evening of the day (from 16:30,) so everything looks tinted by the color of the sunset in this video. Here are some photos taken at that event by JOLUSKATING.

MM19.jpg

MM18.jpg

Source: http://joluskating.eu/2011/n11_mensp.php

But the costume in this video looks so much like H&L’s! It also makes me wonder how it would look like if he skates in H&L in natural light. (must be beautiful!) I always love watching a footage taken in Nebelhorn. I've never been there but the venue looks beautiful.

As for Shun Sato, I think Shu Namioka (浪岡秀 not sure about the pronunciation of his first name) is his coach. I heard that Shun wanted to be coached by a male coach. Don’t know much about Mr. Namioka, though.

@Aotoshiro

It was much much easier in the first few years because there were no commercial films to look for, not much news provided from the media, very few magazines to check in a season, :68468287: and I was watching figure skating in more laid-back manner, too. 

Thanks for sharing! I thought I'd seen every photo of this beautiful costume but I'd never seen these! Second one belongs in the murderface thread for sure. :biggrin: