General Yuzuru Chat

7 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2017/12/10/figure-skating/injured-olympic-champ-hanyu-still-unable-practice/#.Wi24HB87bMJ

This article mentions the pain is in his right knee. I wonder if that means his ankle is better.

Maybe it just means the article is wrong about the injury in the first place. Remember how initially people weren't sure exactly what part of himself he hurt?

Well, this is the season that destiny has created for him from hurts, coach hurts, ankle injuries etc.. Don't they say you are given the amount that you can handle? We'll see, because so far in his career he has handled what has been thrown at him quite well.

19 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2017/12/10/figure-skating/injured-olympic-champ-hanyu-still-unable-practice/#.Wi24HB87bMJ

This article mentions the pain is in his right knee. I wonder if that means his ankle is better.

My guess is that initially, only the ankle was diagnosed but maybe they realised subsequently that his knee was also injured. I remember some of us were speculating when it happened that it looked like the knee took the brunt of the fall. If so, that might explain why recovery took longer than initially predicted.

I think @Sombreuil is absolutely right though - I think what's healthiest now is to - like Yuzu and his team I'm sure - try to get to the stage of accepting this has happened, that it's awful awful luck but that the only thing we can do is keep moving forward as best we can. We've sent him our well wishes, I'm sure he knows this. We just need to breathe and adjust our expectations to accept whatever happens, while hoping for the best. And try to avoid news websites that - like when he was initially injured - will exploit useless commentary and recycle info for clicks.  

If he goes to JNats, if he goes to 4CC, if he goes to Olys with no preparation... at the end of the day, it's what happens on the day in PC that counts. We'll deal with it when we get there. 

4 hours ago, MrPudding said:

:laughing:

I'm not usually superstitious, but Yuzu, all the stars are aligned. You'll shine at Pyeongchang and I believe in you! :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

3 hours ago, marlet said:

Yuzu antenna:radio-006: make my mood better after the news

Omg this is the straightest antenna I've seen! I'm sure our well wishes and hopes for his happiness have reached him through his antenna. :10636614:

2 hours ago, Lunna said:

I've read this part of the article in Russian and to be more accurate he said "won confidently" ("won decisively" sounds a little too strong but I don't know the original words he used). And this is only second question. The first one was about how he felt winning over Olympic champion. Nathan: "Yuzuru skates very difficult programmes that's why to win over him is a big achievement from the technical point of view. Speaking about my feelings there wasn't conceit but more the confidence that I'm moving in right direction. We all are working to be the best. And when you understand that in this moment you're number one it boosts your confidence. Before I became winning I often asked myself: "Can I do that?", now I know that I can. In particular I can compete with Hanyu in PC. Honestly, we all owe a lot to this athlete. When I see how he works, how he skates, to what extent he gives himself to figure skating and how our sport must look like, I find a new motivation in me: to be like Hanyu, be better, go ahead. Yuzuru is a great (meaning closer to greatest/legendary) athlete in this respect."

Thanks for clarifying! This makes more sense! I wish media would stop trying to pitch skaters against each other and fanning fan wars. Sure, there's competitive tension; these guys work so hard for half their lives to be where they are, of cos they want to win. The only toxic competitive mindset I know is Tonya Harding. Most other skaters respect one another and bear no ill will to one another. :animated-smileys-angry-033:

1 hour ago, Murieleirum said:

Remember when everything was ACI SP World record and nothing hurt? (those blessfull 24 hours?)...

I remember clapping and screaming in my room because I couldn't believe the beauty I just saw. :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

This 'off-season' is so much tougher than the previous off season. At least we had FaOI and many adorable Yuzu moments. :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

That said, I just want Yuzu to be well and achieve his dream at PC, even if it means we won't hear from him for a while.

1 minute ago, singcarcom said:

I remember clapping and screaming in my room because I couldn't believe the beauty I just saw. :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

I was sending embarassing audio messages to my sister and friend. Trying to keep quiet since my parents were sleeping just few meters away. I felt so light and free of worries. Yuzu is so powerful, really. It gives me motivation to become a beacon of strenght myself as well. 

I just hope they are wrong about the knee injury and it's just a wrong translation. The didn't even mention his ankle, that's why it suspicious to me...At this point it is probably better not to believe anything what newspapers say about his condition :13877886:

48 minutes ago, CupidsBow said:

If anyone can pull off a damn near miracle and have a strong comeback from injury at the Olympics, it's Yuzuru I guess. But idk I'm really worried that with no competition ahead of the Olympics his nerves are going to be through the roof. Maybe the team event could take the edge off somewhat but my fear isn't his physical condition but his mental. He's not exactly what I'd call fragile but this is a really rough situation for anyone.

It's a difficult situation but on the other hand I'm sure that he and his team are preparing for it as much as it is possible. And I have faith in him because he's been through so many hard situations at different competitions in his career that with his mental strength and experience he is capable of doing the best. I try to think about things like that the Olympics are unpredictable for everyone, not just for him, and he at least already experienced to compete there, and knows exactly how different it is from any other competitions. That's an advantage which can be helpful during the Olympics, and can make him even stronger mentally.

Now, as @kaerb said, we can't really do anything but hope and wish that he will be physically and mentally in good form by February. :fingerscrossed:

I feel like I've been wrung through a shredder so much this season.

Can I just scream for 10 minutes straight and we can all agree, universe included, that that's that and we can all continue peacefully with the rest of the season.

I know it's not the end of the world, but it's SO frustrating and depressing nonetheless... It's all just been:gaah: 

58 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I just hope they are wrong about the knee injury and it's just a wrong translation. The didn't even mention his ankle, that's why it suspicious to me...At this point it is probably better not to believe anything what newspapers say about his condition :13877886:

It's a difficult situation but on the other hand I'm sure that he and his team are preparing for it as much as it is possible. And I have faith in him because he's been through so many hard situations at different competitions in his career that with his mental strength and experience he is capable of doing the best. I try to think about things like that the Olympics are unpredictable for everyone, not just for him, and he at least already experienced to compete there, and knows exactly how different it is from any other competitions. That's an advantage which can be helpful during the Olympics, and can make him even stronger mentally.

Now, as @kaerb said, we can't really do anything but hope and wish that he will be physically and mentally in good form by February. :fingerscrossed:

They did mention his ankle but made it seem like something minor in addition to the knee. Maybe they heard/read LCL and assumed it was knee because that's more common or confused it with ACI? Usually I'd brush it off but I'm suspicious because we're dealing with Yuzuru "I'm in perfect condition oh wait fever fall WD" Hanyu. :P I'll wait and see if another news source reports it before beliving it, though.

25 minutes ago, katonice said:

I feel like I've been wrung through a shredder so much this season.

Can I just scream for 10 minutes straight and we can all agree, universe included, that that's that and we can all continue peacefully with the rest of the season.

I know it's not the end of the world, but it's SO frustrating and depressing nonetheless... It's all just been:gaah: 

32 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

They did mention his ankle but made it seem like something minor in addition to the knee. Maybe they heard/read LCL and assumed it was knee because that's more common or confused it with ACI? Usually I'd brush it off but I'm suspicious because we're dealing with Yuzuru "I'm in perfect condition oh wait fever fall WD" Hanyu. :P I'll wait and see if another news source reports it before beliving it, though.

We'll find out what really happened casually maybe in an Ice Jewels article in 3 years time (like how we found out about the extent of his knee injury in 2013 just now...) :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5: