General Yuzuru Chat

27 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Remember when everything was ACI SP World record and nothing hurt? (those blessfull 24 hours?)...

It felt like a dream to me. I just moved to a new country, not yet settled well. it was Yuzu's first competition of the season and I was not expecting much. I was staying up late to watch it live but fell asleep, woke up just after he skated and saw the result, it was unbelievable. May be that's why it felt like a dream, i was half-asleep. :sleepy:

Then, I stayed up to watch FS live and I was dumb-founded.  sigh.. roller-coaster life of a Hanyu Yuzuru's fan. 

26 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

It feels like we crossed into the bad timeline

Yes... it feels like we are an Alternative Universe in which many things have gone poorly... but since YOLO, at this point I don't care anymore. For all we know, Yuzuru might not need Nationals to prepare for Olympics. If his shape is 100% there, he will give his all and give us two performances we will never forget. I know he will. 

Also, let's think about how fucking legendary it would be if he came to Pyeongchang out of nowhere, after 4 months of zero competitions, and made history like we know he can... 

(Maybe, this was all within calculations. The universe made it so that his performances at Olympcs will be the most breathtaking, tense, stressfull and blissfull moment in the history of figure skating. Lord Pooh help us.)

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

Yes... it feels like we are an Alternative Universe in which many things have gone poorly... but since YOLO, at this point I don't care anymore. For all we know, Yuzuru might not need Nationals to prepare for Olympics. If his shape is 100% there, he will give his all and give us two performances we will never forget. I know he will. 

Also, let's think about how fucking legendary it would be if he came to Pyeongchang out of nowhere, after 4 months of zero competitions, and made history like we know he can... 

(Maybe, this was all within calculations. The universe made it so that his performances at Olympcs will be the most breathtaking, tense, stressfull and blissfull moment in the history of figure skating. Lord Pooh help us.)

bless all of our souls that would be on their way the minute his Olys FS is over :0002:

If anyone can pull off a damn near miracle and have a strong comeback from injury at the Olympics, it's Yuzuru I guess. But idk I'm really worried that with no competition ahead of the Olympics his nerves are going to be through the roof. Maybe the team event could take the edge off somewhat but my fear isn't his physical condition but his mental. He's not exactly what I'd call fragile but this is a really rough situation for anyone.

I think everyone needs to calm down.  Get back to work/ homework/ writing papers whatever you normally do.  There's a lot of bits of 'news' leaking all over the place -ignore and wait until something else comes out from TCC or JSF.  If he's well enough for Nats he'll be there- if he's not we'll see him in PC.  Whipping yourselves into a state doesn't do anyone any good and if he were to see any of it might have a bad effect.

3 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

I actually don't think image and marketability are underrated at all.  If you're being sought out for endorsement deals those are qualities that are evaluated.  I was thinking these were more so as a given for all these main guys who have charisma in their own way (and their own endorsements). 

As you mention with Yuzu, he was still accomplishing things which put him on the radar before. But I think the Olympics took him to a completely different level, national treasure level.  

Technically speaking everyone has an image and are marketable with the right management. It's just that some people appeal to a more niche audience, while others soak up attention like a sponge. So yes, every top skater have a marketable image that endorsers and media can push, but I'm talking about something that's equivalent to love at first sight as far as image is concerned.

Comparison right off the top of my head is U.S. media pushing the image of Nathan as super baletic. I'm not going to comment on whether I agree on that, other than baletic==better artistry is bullsh1t and disgustingly Eurocentric. But in this case media keeps saying to the audience over and over that Nathan is baletic and the audience constantly exposed to that view eventually accepts the idea of Nathan being THE baletic male skater. But that's not what I'm talking abt when I say image. In Yuzuru's case, he skated to Romeo and Juliet and interpreted the role of Romeo. But there wasn't a constant, outside push telling people Yuzuru is THE Romeo. People just kind of accepted the concept that Yuzuru is THE Romeo.

Also regarding Olys, Yuzuru became ridiculously popular right before Olys actually started. Which leads to a lot of people cheering for him during Olys itself. But winning Olys itself wasn't the reason he became popular.