General Yuzuru Chat

I wonder if releasing this news is a primer for his withdrawal announcement. By releasing news that he's improving,  but isn't on the ice yet, people can see that less than 2 weeks of training isn't optimal and he might not be able to  make it.  If he suddenly announced next week he wasn't going, people might be more worried because it will have been over a month since NHK, without news and fears often grow when there is no news .

9 minutes ago, liv said:

I wonder if releasing this news is a primer for his withdrawal announcement. By releasing news that he's improving,  but isn't on the ice yet, people can see that less than 2 weeks of training isn't optimal and he might not be able to  make it.  If he suddenly announced next week he wasn't going, people might be more worried because it will have been over a month since NHK, without news and fears often grow when there is no news .

I also think this is similar to Evgenia's case. Rus fed revealed her injury 2 weeks before GPF and then the WD news came in about 1 week later. I think JFS might do the same with Yuzuru.

It's actually not the first time that someone went without competition for a long time and came back alright. Go google the wikipedia article on Evegni Plushenko- if you look at the 05-06 column, it only lists cup of Russian, nationals, europeans and olympics. The guy had a long off season. And he also did not go to GPF. The issue isn't how long you go without competing- if we may refer to Plushenko again, it's about how you train up for it.  Also, 05-06 was during the 6.0 system, where going clean was more important than even now, and Evegni did have competition: Brian Joubert and Stephan Lambiel both had quads, and Jeffery Buttle and Johnny Weir were both fairly competitive, and a young Evan Lysacek won 4th that cycle too. 

What's most important now for Yuzu is that he fully heals, and the affected regions are able to take on weight. We don't know the cause of the pain- for all we know, it might be that he's healed but since 10 days of complete rest and then 1-2 weeks of light training means his ankle hasn't gained full ability to take the full weight of the jumps. And there are ways for him to test it-- like on land training with just singles and doubles. If there's still pain, maybe his right ankle is still a bit weak due to disuse for such a long time. And that's expected- if you had to rest a limb for 2 weeks without being allowed to put any weight on it, it'd be the same. And well, he is human (sometimes...sometimes). 

As for next steps:

1) If he's back on ice this week and gets to train  each day from 12/11-12/18,he might end up going to JNats. But the layout will need to be watered down. It would be wiser to go with the SP layout at ACI, and maybe 15/16 Seimei layout to avoid overusing his right ankle (take out 4 Lz and 4Loop). All things considered, he might still do well. But if he's not recovered enough, just avoid Nats since avoiding re-injury is more important. My guess is that this possibility is low. 

2) If he's back on ice by late Dec, then 4CC is a possibility,  The time difference between 4CC and Olys is roughly the time difference between 2 events in the GP series. Plus if Boyang is going, he gets a chance to compete against an olympic podium hopeful with a quad arsenal. If he's back to NHK shape by 4CC, then timing wise with the Olys, it's about the gap between NHK and GPF usually. But if he's not fully back to NHK shape, no need to go. 

3) I'm not worried about Yuzu's SP-- he managed to break his WR at ACI after about a week of training. And maaaaybe he'll consider going with that ACI layout (it should still be able to net him 110+). His FS is the one that I would only consider doing any competitions just for the sake of practice. 

Anyone else here a fan of Plushenko between 2003-2006? Remember the good ole' times where news of his injuries were so normal that you became numb to it? Like you know, Plushenko just competed with a groin injury. He just recovered from a knee surgery. Plushenko just recovered from a back injury, and look he even had to add screws to his spine! Not to make light of Yuzu's injuries,  but men's skating does have a pretty famous guy who came back from a lot of injuries to crush his opponents. 

1 hour ago, Sammie said:

Must be a weird feeling to be the winner but the runner up is more celebrated especially at the gala. 

Hmm, I'm not sure how accurate the translation is since it's a translation of a translation of a translation of a translation (Nathan's English response -> Russian article -> Japanese article -> Iron Klaus translation).  I find it strange that it sounds like it's Nathan's first time feeling this way. Did he not feel it when he won 4CC last season? 

And I'll just that "won decisively" as an inaccurate translation somewhere along the lines. :slinkaway:

I do feel a little bad for him though. I'm fairly certain Yuzu is the GOAT (and maybe a goat) and the color of his medals won't change people's perception of him. Perhaps Yuzu felt something similar when he won his first Japan Nationals against Takahashi.

12 minutes ago, Xen said:

It's actually not the first time that someone went without competition for a long time and came back alright. Go google the wikipedia article on Evegni Plushenko- if you look at the 05-06 column, it only lists cup of Russian, nationals, europeans and olympics. The guy had a long off season. And he also did not go to GPF. The issue isn't how long you go without competing- if we may refer to Plushenko again, it's about how you train up for it.  Also, 05-06 was during the 6.0 system, where going clean was more important than even now, and Evegni did have competition: Brian Joubert and Stephan Lambiel both had quads, and Jeffery Buttle and Johnny Weir were both fairly competitive, and a young Evan Lysacek won 4th that cycle too. 

What's most important now for Yuzu is that he fully heals, and the affected regions are able to take on weight. We don't know the cause of the pain- for all we know, it might be that he's healed but since 10 days of complete rest and then 1-2 weeks of light training means his ankle hasn't gained full ability to take the full weight of the jumps. And there are ways for him to test it-- like on land training with just singles and doubles. If there's still pain, maybe his right ankle is still a bit weak due to disuse for such a long time. And that's expected- if you had to rest a limb for 2 weeks without being allowed to put any weight on it, it'd be the same. And well, he is human (sometimes...sometimes). 

As for next steps:

1) If he's back on ice this week and gets to train  each day from 12/11-12/18,he might end up going to JNats. But the layout will need to be watered down. It would be wiser to go with the SP layout at ACI, and maybe 15/16 Seimei layout to avoid overusing his right ankle (take out 4 Lz and 4Loop). All things considered, he might still do well. But if he's not recovered enough, just avoid Nats since avoiding re-injury is more important. My guess is that this possibility is low. 

2) If he's back on ice by late Dec, then 4CC is a possibility,  The time difference between 4CC and Olys is roughly the time difference between 2 events in the GP series. Plus if Boyang is going, he gets a chance to compete against an olympic podium hopeful with a quad arsenal. If he's back to NHK shape by 4CC, then timing wise with the Olys, it's about the gap between NHK and GPF usually. But if he's not fully back to NHK shape, no need to go. 

3) I'm not worried about Yuzu's SP-- he managed to break his WR at ACI after about a week of training. And maaaaybe he'll consider going with that ACI layout (it should still be able to net him 110+). His FS is the one that I would only consider doing any competitions just for the sake of practice. 

Anyone else here a fan of Plushenko between 2003-2006? Remember the good ole' times where news of his injuries were so normal that you became numb to it? Like you know, Plushenko just competed with a groin injury. He just recovered from a knee surgery. Plushenko just recovered from a back injury, and look he even had to add screws to his spine! Not to make light of Yuzu's injuries,  but men's skating does have a pretty famous guy who came back from a lot of injuries to crush his opponents. 

It is indeed possible. 

But dear Yuzu, I know you admire Plushenko. You had his mushroom haircut and aspired to become a skater like him. But no, you don't need to follow him in terms of the amount of injuries you have to get through....T_T

I don't get why many are talking about other international competitions as if he would go to there. There are of course some competitions he can go to but the problem is whether he will be able to ( or want to ) attend. 

In my view, I don't see any chance of him competing at any competitions other than Olympics if he withdraws from Nats. 

1 hour ago, SparkleSalad said:

I feel awkward watching him at galas with Yuzu and seeing him get less screen time and less cheers despite his wins. :/ C'mon, people! You might not like the result but let him enjoy his victories! Though of course I understand why the cameras are so stuck on Yuzu. :P

As Nathan's fellow American I don't feel awkward or sympathetic about that. He's skating for a strong federation and, as a result, often being overscored--something for which he should be very thankful. If he wants to be as popular as Yuzu with skating fans, he needs to stop whining and earn their love and respect. Showing more humility would probably be a good idea too. 

I finally found the recording and the exact time (when Shoma skated). So this is what TAT said word by word:

Ms. Tarasova while commenting GPF Gala for Russian "Channel One”: “Yuzuru, get well soon, what's up… You fell so hard. Get well! Without you likewise (TAT meant others injured skaters) men’s figure skating isn't men’s figure skating. Because we love you, we cheer up for you, we want extraordinary beauty and difficulty simultaneously in men's figure skating. And those are not the first Olympics we cheer up for you”.

11 minutes ago, singcarcom said:

Hmm, I'm not sure how accurate the translation is since it's a translation of a translation of a translation of a translation (Nathan's English response -> Russian article -> Japanese article -> Iron Klaus translation).  I find it strange that it sounds like it's Nathan's first time feeling this way. Did he not feel it when he won 4CC last season? 

And I'll just that "won decisively" as an inaccurate translation somewhere along the lines. :slinkaway:

I do feel a little bad for him though. I'm fairly certain Yuzu is the GOAT (and maybe a goat) and the color of his medals won't change people's perception of him. Perhaps Yuzu felt something similar when he won his first Japan Nationals against Takahashi.

It is indeed possible. 

But dear Yuzu, I know you admire Plushenko. You had his mushroom haircut and aspired to become a skater like him. But no, you don't need to follow him in terms of the amount of injuries you have to get through....T_T

I think he's not going to go the plush route. His jumping mechanics are already different from Plushenko, and Plush's injuries in the same time frame was waaay more. But how he handles his nerves is a lesson Yuzu has to learn-nerves help to a degree in that it can produce adrenaline effect. But too much and it incapacitates him. Brian seems to have figured out how to get Yuzu to that state, if Helsinki and COR are any indication. 

Just now, Mastyaeva said:

I finally found the recording and the exact time (when Shoma skated). So this is what TAT said word by word:

Ms. Tarasova while commenting GPF Gala for Russian "Channel One”: “Yuzuru, get well soon, what's up… You fell so hard. Get well! Without you likewise (TAT meant others injured skaters) men’s figure skating isn't men’s figure skating. Because we love you, we cheer up for you, we want extraordinary beauty and difficulty simultaneously in men's figure skating. And those are not the first Olympics we cheer up for you”.

Ok, for this, I forgive all her bias and all her bad manners, really... 

14 минут назад, MrPudding сказал:

Sorry for being off topic during this deep conversation...

It's currently snowing again. I made my wish for him :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

Wow, somebody else makes wishes when it's snowing. I've made my first for him this year when it was snowing in Moscow before the CoR's free.