General Yuzuru Chat

10 hours ago, MrPudding said:

Sunao Noto has also tweeted about the photo exhibition.

This time, they will exhibit the photos taken since August until October, including the ones taken in the special exhibition held in August at Bank of Yokohama Ice Arena where he skated Hana ni nare, Cup of Russia, etc. They will sell a limited amount of “Memorial Book” which was sold in another exhibition held in November.

16 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Yuzuru Hanyu x Ice Jewels Special Interview (Vol. 7)

Something to read in the meantime, thanks to our @gladi:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

Once again, I am very impressed with his incredible self-awareness, on his performances, mistakes, expressions, season (slow start), and even his anxiety and fears. It is always nice to see him acknowledge how it is needed for him to change his mentality on his training methods in order to better suit his body at this point in time, instead of "jumping and falling and jumping and falling" method he used when he was 16-17 years old. (Which makes me incredibly sad for him to get injured in NHK despite the extra care he took; I pray he will come back from it). 

It is very insightful to read his thoughts on his jumps and how body types factor into the jumps one can do (It never occurred to me to contribute his "lack of stability" to his body build. Maybe that is something to think about, but probably it goes beyond that). I always had a fun time reading up the discussions fans had on jumping techniques in the skating thread despite not knowing much myself. I also like how he described his performances: they are like "pieces of glass" which become very beautiful once they fit together successfully, but can be very dangerous and risky when they don't (which is similar to his jumps, beautiful once "everything falls into place"). As a fan, I am glad he didn't end up changing his build much in order to gain more stability in his jumps, because his lightness and effortless look when jumping are what make me enthralled with his skating. 

His pondering on his roots in his expression is also fascinating and something I have to keep an eye out for when watching performances from skaters with different backgrounds. Now I really wondered what exactly is entailed in North American way of expression, same as Russian way and Japanese way? I especially like it when he credits his "fundamentals of expression" to Bestemianova and Bobrien's "way of thinking" specifically, not just simply Russian ways (because I think there are many schools of expressions in Russia- just look at Eteri for example). Lastly, when I thought I couldn't be more impressed with him, I became even more so when he started crediting the people who had helped him in the past, however brief the encounter was. I really hope Tarasova, Bestemianova and Bobrien know how much Yuzu holds them in high esteem, to the point of skating in front of them was the most happy aspect of skating in CoR. Too bad he didn't get to meet them during CoR, but I am sure they were as happy as he was to see him skate in Russia. Personally, I am really grateful he brought back Notte Stellata in Russia; I was completely entrapped by his performance despite the pink lighting.

Just now, getsurenka said:

His pondering on his roots in his expression is also fascinating and something I have to keep an eye for when watching performances from skaters with different backgrounds. Now I really wondered what exactly is entailed in North American way of expression, same as "Russian way and Japanese way? I especially like it when he credits his fundamentals of expression to Bestemianova and Bobrien's way of thinking specifically, not just Russian ways (because there are many schools of expressions in Russia- just look at Eteri for example). Lastly, when I thought I couldn't be more impressed with him, I became even more so when he started crediting the people who had helped him in the past, however brief the encounter was. I really hope Tarasova, Bestemianova and Bobrien know how much Yuzu holds them in high esteem, to the point of skating in front of them was the most happy aspect of skating in CoR. Too bad he didn't get to meet them during CoR, but I am sure they were as happy as he was to see him skate in Russia. Personally, I am really grateful he brought back Notte Stellata in Russia; I was completely entrapped by his performance despite the pink lighting.

When I read the interview translation and what he said about having North American, Russian, and Japanese aspects to his skating I took it to mean he was talking about more than just expression. He spoke most about Russia and Bestiminova and Bobrin influencing his expression, so he was pretty clear on what he felt was the Russian influence. I figured the North American and Japanese aspects he might be referring more to his skating skills and his knee bend - not that they don't also have an influence on his expression. In my mind working with Jeff and Tracy is probably what shaped the North American aspects of his skating the most.

As for meeting Bestiminova and Bobrin, there's a video of them running into each other at the hotel lobby during Rostelecom, so he definitely met them (she hugged him and I think his mom, too). Maybe he meant at the rink though.

Seriously though, has anyone ever seen Bestemyanova skate? I remember her very well in the 1980s. A dramatic firecracker with questionable skating skills (she was a singles skater until she was 18, I think). But lots of personality - she certainly was fun to watch. 

Happy 23rd Birthday Yuzuru Hanyu!! We're all rooting for your recovery and success! (want to share an etching fanart I've done to celebrate Yuzuru's birthday) On the process: it's a multi-edition etching done in various line thickness of hardground. 

Thanks to everyone posting updates about everything Yuzu-related! :tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg: I get nostalgic of the past GPF at this time of the year because competitions feel so much more compelling to watch when we're watching for him, especially more nostalgic since last year I was present as an audience member for the first time at Marseille. 

1 hour ago, kiches said:

As for meeting Bestiminova and Bobrin, there's a video of them running into each other at the hotel lobby during Rostelecom, so he definitely met them (she hugged him and I think his mom, too). Maybe he meant at the rink though.

I am so happy to hear that, that I immediately went and look for it. Here is the video if anyone else missed it like I did.

And thank you for sharing your thoughts on my question! It is definitely one way to interpret it. Perhaps I was being too literal in his words. I will have to read the article again with fresh set of eyes after getting some sleep.

4 hours ago, Fay said:

Seriously though, has anyone ever seen Bestemyanova skate? I remeifber her very well in the 1980s. A dramatic firecracker with questionable skating skills (she was a singles skater until she was 18, I think). But lots of personality - she certainly was fun to watch. 

ITA. Way over the top, but you had to keep watching. She did the skating, Bukin jusr drifted around and lifted her sometimes, lol. I watched them from 1984!!!

Her posture was terrible for a dancer... early yuzu criticism was his posture... wonder I

31 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

Wow, that is awesome... (I'll also possibly spend quite some time closely studying pictures of that, to see if my message might be there, too :xD:)

And I missed out on the birthday celebrations, but I really love the banner! :snpeace: