General Yuzuru Chat

6 hours ago, CupidsBow said:

nnnggghhhh this. it being something coming out of kpop fandom (though i guess it might be common elsewhere? idk) i do kinda worry we're going to get the very often toxic trait in kpop fandom of fans constantly trying to one up each other hot on it's heels. this can be great if the fans are trying to one up each other in charity donations (it happens) but it gets real dumb real fast. that's why you had an ad space in time square being rented, so that fan group can go 'top that' to whoever they are rivals with. That's why there was a trend of fans paying to name stars after idols (? which i'm pretty sure is a scam anyway?) but it's also where sasaeng culture comes from. oppa will remember me cuz i slapped him! oppa will remember be because i sent him a letter written in blood! oppa will remember me cuz i slept under his sink for a week! Oppa will remember me because i spiked his drink with laxatives! etc. let's never go there yeah.

Hm, i've seen some overlap with Yuzu fans and kpop fans so i'm not surprised that sometimes the fandom steers that way.

As for one upping eek, i have strong opinions about that but i'll just say that i hate it and as someone i've talked to said, it's not a competition about who loves him the most. We all admire and support him but going overboard to show it and try to make each project more impressive than the last one is a bit too much.

I get why some people do that, but personally i'm just happy with coming up with ideas and making them happen. If they get attention that's wonderful, if they don't well , more often than not i learned something along the way (like the birthday map thing, i hated javascript. Hated hated lol. But i made peace with it and i am happy with the end result. I didn't think i would get more than 100 messages. Or the swans. It's very relaxing to fold them and i got to talk to a lot of people+practice my japanese lol)

I've been in some fan projects for other stuff and they have been noticed by the person they're aimed to. When that happens, rather than being "ha!, our project got attention and yours didn't" , seeing the smile of the person and the genuine appreciation of it is way better than "winning" over another group of fans.

In the end we all want to show support and i think that's just impossible to ask, but in that case, the ego should be left at the door because that kind of fanwars are what, i think, make the fandom and sometimes the admired person look bad (as in, look at what kind of crazy people they attract lol)

Or maybe i'm too much of an idealist lol.

59 分, Xenさんが言いました:

Yep. I have some ideas, but I'm not sure how this would work in Japan. Especially if there are limitations to what they can do from crowdsourcing platforms. 

Yes, this was what I think would be the most meaningful. But we're not sure if such a charity exists in Japan. Either that or maybe there is something still ongoing with the publisher for his bios. Those are probably the most neutral parties in Japan. 

This seems like a door that can be knocked on. The Japanese version of the site is more comprehensive of course, with more recent updates, but there is a contact form that you can send queries in English through.

Anywho, what's most important is that the ones doing all the work find it doable, so whatever you guys ultimately decide to come up with, I'm sure he'll love it. ^^

Thank you for taking the charity donations discussion to a separate chat. 

Spoiler

Putting some thoughts under spoiler because I don't want to make the general thread gloomy.

I am sure there are many of us that cannot really afford to make any substantial donations to any charity.

Furthermore, I cringe when I read 'doing charity or voluntary work in his name and proving it in some way'. We are skating fans. We are not an organization of any kind. That sounds... wrong. If you want to do charity, go do it for your own. If you want to do voluntary work, go do it for your own. If you want to do nice things, I'm sure you don't need to be motivated by your love for Yuzuru. You should do them because you feel like it. I don't understand what 'being Yuzuru fans' has anything to do with making donations to charities, even if those have something to do with figure skating, because donating or doing voluntary work are very private things. 

In any case, this is just how I feel and I understand how different people might feel in a different way.

If my feelings are not shared by anyone else, and feel out of place, please ignore my message.