General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

Actually, I thought of this when you mentioned charity projects:

--Since Yuzu always wanted to help the sport along, help other skaters and athletes, I was thinking maybe we can setup a charity foundation in his honor. It's not necessarily for skaters who train at Sendai, but possibly for skaters in the Miyagi region. And said fund can help cover some of the competition fees, equipment fees etc that are incurred in the course of training. 

-Now of course, this is super ambitious, and I'm not sure if we have anyone in our fandom who knows how said foundations work in either US, Canada, Europe, China or even Japan. But possibly a trust or an NGO basis. And then there are issues how taxes work. But I think this is a type of foundation/trust that would be a terrific contribution on his behalf to the skating world. 

- He already has something working since some of the money from his biographies are going to Ice Rink Sendai. The question is is it easy to hook up such an initiative with the existing fund for the ice rink? 

Edit: I don't think this will work as a birthday project. More like what happens when he decides to...that...project.

setting up something in his honor?? way too ambitious for a bunch of fans with no experience doing such a thing. gathering a decent amount of contributions to donate to an existing thing under his name is way easier to organised. whether it be the ice rink in sendai or something less specific. 

4 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Speaking of birthday gifts, I wonder what TCC will make of a big package containing a 7 meter banner when it arrives there, provided it was sent to TCC (I'm not sure?). :biggrin:

I'm so curious to know what the banner looks like! (and what they'll do with it......hang it up???? surely not in Yuzu's house lol)

maybe we should've made it a quilt he can snuggle up in LOL

18 minutes ago, CupidsBow said:

setting up something in his honor?? way too ambitious for a bunch of fans with no experience doing such a thing. gathering a decent amount of contributions to donate to an existing thing under his name is way easier to organised. whether it be the ice rink in sendai or something less specific. 

Yeah, I know, it's super ambitious and probably too far flung. But if we do decide to donate something to ice rink sendai, is there a way for us to donate to them? The closest I can think of is say, if someone manages to get in contact with the publishers of his books and ask if there is a way to directly contribute to the fund instead. I don't think random envelopes flying to ice rink sendai filled with money is going to work. And if we donate to charities, well we need to figure out what charity to donate to. 

Is there still a fund ongoing for the rebuilding after 2011 Earthquake? I think that would be the closest equivalent. 

10 minutes ago, Xen said:

Yeah, I know, it's super ambitious and probably too far flung. But if we do decide to donate something to ice rink sendai, is there a way for us to donate to them? The closest I can think of is say, if someone manages to get in contact with the publishers of his books and ask if there is a way to directly contribute to the fund instead. I don't think random envelopes flying to ice rink sendai filled with money is going to work. And if we donate to charities, well we need to figure out what charity to donate to. 

Is there still a fund ongoing for the rebuilding after 2011 Earthquake? I think that would be the closest equivalent. 

tbh the hardest part is scouting out a suitable and trustworthy charity. if there is an ongoing charity for the 2011 quake that would be a good one to go for, but pretty much any charity based there would be good. I imagine some of the japanese speakers/users of this site could help with finding a charity or contacting the sendai rink for information about giving donations.

(if people go with this (particularly mods and admins though it doesn't necessarily have to be them, it's just better to have a group of people involved so its harder for one person to run off with the money) it's good to have a target date to get things organised for. like birthdays, this one being way too close, or the end of the season as a celebration assuming he does well, key anniversary dates or him or for the site, things like that. Makes it easier to plan and promote. so if we say next birthday we'll try a charity project that's a year to pick the charity and work out the details haha)

8 minutes ago, CupidsBow said:

tbh the hardest part is scouting out a suitable and trustworthy charity. if there is an ongoing charity for the 2011 quake that would be a good one to go for, but pretty much any charity based there would be good. I imagine some of the japanese speakers/users of this site could help with finding a charity or contacting the sendai rink for information about giving donations.

What about the publishers of Aoi no Honoo?  I'm assuming that any sales of the book will still have proceeds going to Ice Rink Sendai. Maybe they would know? 

Better to have a go fund me project etc that is fed directly to the ice rink or charity in question. Or at least an entity that is a neutral third party in this thing. But yes, I can get behind it. Now if only one of my fluent languages were japanese. 

20 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Well no, performer's copyright over their own image if fan-taken especially in sports is actually a grey area in copyright law (at least in Aus) because it's questionable whether they fall under a protected copyright subject matter even though you may intuitively think they should (performers have moral rights but they don't really apply in this situation/would be hard to argue). So infringement in that 'raw' situation is not guaranteed. ISU/the venue claiming rights to footage via contract is a good point though that would potentially remove the ambiguities and give copyright to ISU (I'd have to look at the T&Cs of the tickets to see exactly what they're claiming). Japanese copyright laws don't have anything to do with the situation if the ISU has copyright, unless they took the image from a JP broadcaster. 

I remember reading something about the ISU claiming copyright for everything filmed at ISU events, including fan footage (although, technically, video is strictly forbidden; I don't remember if pictures are, too), but I don't actually remember where that was. Japan I mentioned because aside from ISU events, most other footage online is from JP media, with only the occasional non-JP media. Anyway, the point is non-copyrighted footage is minimal, because Yuzu doesn't really appear in public if it's not at ISU events or in magazines/TV.

As for one-upping, honestly, all the get well soon and birthday projects that popped up these days feel a bit like that already... though maybe it's just because of the withdrawal symptoms and my not being in the fandom last year. But seriously, there were how many different projects? (That said, I liked the banner and the map ones the most, too, because they were the most supportive and original, without crossing boundaries. Though I didn't actually send a message for the banner lol The two NHK letters were overkill already...) But yes, nowhere near those KPop horror stories and hopefully it'll never get even a teeny tiny bit close.

I think it'd be cool if they hung up the banner for his birthday and threw him a little party then... Or at least take a picture of him with it and then he can quickly fold it and hide it away lol

3 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I remember reading something about the ISU claiming copyright for everything filmed at ISU events, including fan footage (although, technically, video is strictly forbidden; I don't remember if pictures are, too), but I don't actually remember where that was. Japan I mentioned because aside from ISU events, most other footage online is from JP media, with only the occasional non-JP media. Anyway, the point is non-copyrighted footage is minimal, because Yuzu doesn't really appear in public if it's not at ISU events or in magazines/TV.

As for one-upping, honestly, all the get well soon and birthday projects that popped up these days feel a bit like that already... though maybe it's just because of the withdrawal symptoms and my not being in the fandom last year. But seriously, there were how many different projects? (That said, I liked the banner and the map ones the most, too, because they were the most supportive and original, without crossing boundaries. Though I didn't actually send a message for the banner lol The two NHK letters were overkill already...) But yes, nowhere near those KPop horror stories and hopefully it'll never get even a teeny tiny bit close.

I think it'd be cool if they hung up the banner for his birthday and threw him a little party then... Or at least take a picture of him with it and then he can quickly fold it and hide it away lol

oh the banner one was with messages from fans right? i joined in that one haha did the person doing it post a pic of the finished banner? I thought that was just going to find its way to a competion though i guess pulling out of nhk and not making it to gpf kind of ruined that plan

2 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I think the one-upping mentioned is more of rival kpop fandoms one-upping each other. More like, "So you BTS fans bought space on the subway? Well guess what, we are going to buy our oppas an ad in Times Square!" So to really fit that, it'd have to be a yuzu fandom vs other-skater fandom, which frankly, I think other-skater fandom will come out losing. :laughing: 

I don't think we're going to get the letter written in blood any time soon though. 

1 minute ago, Xen said:

I think the one-upping mentioned is more of rival kpop fandoms one-upping each other. More like, "So you BTS fans bought space on the subway? Well guess what, we are going to buy our oppas an ad in Times Square!" So to really fit that, it'd have to be a yuzu fandom vs other-skater fandom, which frankly, I think other-skater fandom will come out losing. :laughing: 

I don't think we're going to get the letter written in blood any time soon though. 

eh it happens between fansites for the same artist as well if they don't like each other. I got ad space in a small agreement with a few other fansites but there was this one we all really hated so we didn't let her join. she tried to do her own but we had a bigger space in a better station to *shrug* she'd also do things like buy the idol and his manager a coffee or whatever and put on twitter as a food support project so we'd passive aggressively show her up by getting lunch boxes, drinks and desserts for all of the staff at a show he worked on or hiring a catering truck.  the kind of one-upping can get ridiculous in bigger more hostile fandoms though XD

imagine if fans on twitter, fans on here, fans on weibo and fans on facebook saw themselves as separate entities and were all trying to outdo each other big supportive gesture wise.....

hace 21 minutos , kaeryth said:

That's.. very Yuzu. :tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg:

My copy of IceJewels arrived yesterday and I am really curious about this interview, but I can't read Japanese :sad4:.

If anyone wants to translate it I can scan it this evening.

1 minute ago, CupidsBow said:

eh it happens between fansites for the same artist as well if they don't like each other. I got ad space in a small agreement with a few other fansites but there was this one we all really hated so we didn't let her join. she tried to do her own but we had a bigger space in a better station to *shrug* she'd also do things like buy the idol and his manager a coffee or whatever and put on twitter as a food support project so we'd passive aggressively show her up by getting lunch boxes, drinks and desserts for all of the staff at a show he worked on or hiring a catering truck.  the kind of one-upping can get ridiculous in bigger more hostile fandoms though XD

imagine if fans on twitter, fans on here, fans on weibo and fans on facebook saw themselves as separate entities and were all trying to outdo each other big supportive gesture wise.....

Ah, well we've avoided that since we usually open ours to everyone. It's pretty inclusive. Same with the banner too. 

Right, someone explain to me the logic behind hostile fangroups where the hostility is more inwards directed....my brain hurts trying to straighten that up. 

Just now, Xen said:

Ah, well we've avoided that since we usually open ours to everyone. It's pretty inclusive. Same with the banner too. 

Right, someone explain to me the logic behind hostile fangroups where the hostility is more inwards directed....my brain hurts trying to straighten that up. 

I feel we're straying a bit off topic here but: getting attention from the idol mostly.

like we were all real friendly with our idol because.....he wasn't popular and we weren't threatening (aside maybe the one girl everyone hated. we hated her because she was a creep who saw the idol as a commodity and not a person which really grates me) so it was whatever. but more popular members of his affiliated group would have really aggressively competitive fansites trying to be the 'best' one so the idol would notice them/prefer then over others.

even in my fandom of like....10 people tops who showed up for damn near every event and airport etc. I had spats with people because they thought the idol favored me (people got real pissed when he instagrammed a photo i took and write a thank you message, particularly because he didn't specifically use the plural form of 'fan' so some took it as a direct instagram directly to me) and fell out with a friend because she didn't like he started to recognise me. That's what internal fan competition is usually for; recognition from the idol. That's why it gets so wild so fast.

Luckily Yuzu fans seem very collaborative and open and mingle in each other's projects a lot :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: Plus it's not like Yuzu has any really opportunities to get to know fans individually or express any kind of favoritism because, you know, he's an athlete not an idol.