General Yuzuru Chat

46 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Lol maybe my perception is skewed a bit because, coming from Kpop, fans regularly pitch in to buy ad space on subways to celebrate their faves' birthdays. It doubles as a way of promoting the group/celeb to the general public. As long as he doesn't have like...fans hiding behind the billboard ready to pounce, hopefully it's just a largely innocuous gesture, if a bit embarrassing (tbh if Yuzu's friends are anything like my friends towards a 'famous' mutual friend, they'd send him photos of his face on billboards in Japan whenever they see him lol it's not like Yuzu has never seen his face in public).

Not bringing anything to the discussion, but funny you said this because I just saw that some fans rented a display ad in the New York Times Square to wish a kpop idol happy birthday. Millions of people in NY don't even know him and it's not like the kpop idol will see it in person. :slinkaway:

I thought the full page newspaper ad that ANA took out for Yuzu with a thank you letter for the season last year was sweet, but fans don't have a direct relationship with Yuzu and this one is in Canada so I guess at some stage it'd be awkward. They probably might have been able to do a bus ad in Japan, but probably really wanted Yuzu to see it. In this case subtly might have been better yea, but anything that's not Yuzu's face like Pooh and headphones are copyrighted/patented so stuff like that wouldn't work I think. :shrug:

1 minute ago, Forcefield said:

Not bringing anything to the discussion, but funny you said this because I just saw that some fans rented a display ad in the New York Times Square to wish a kpop idol happy birthday. Millions of people in NY don't even know him and it's not like the kpop idol will see it in person. :slinkaway:

I thought the full page newspaper ad that ANA took out for Yuzu with a thank you letter for the season last year was sweet, but fans don't have a direct relationship with Yuzu and this one is in Canada so I guess at some stage it'd be awkward. They probably might have been able to do a bus ad in Japan, but probably really wanted Yuzu to see it. In this case subtly might have been better yea, but anything that's not Yuzu's face like Pooh and headphones are copyrighted/patented so stuff like that wouldn't work I think. :shrug:

I think with Kpop, it's not the goal for the idols to see it in person unlike Yuzu where we know where he is most days. Usually, it's a show of the 'strength' of the fandom and also trying to get their idols' images to 'prestigious' places where they wouldn't normally be (also, if it causes one or two New Yorkers to look up the group and become a fan, bonus lol) ( : I didn't realise it but thinking about it, it's one of those 'culture shock' things that is considered weird outside of fandom lol

4 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

the full page newspaper ad that ANA took out for Yuzu with a thank you letter for the season last year was sweet, but fans don't have a direct relationship with Yuzu and this one is in Canada so I guess at some stage it'd be awkward. They probably might have been able to do a bus ad in Japan, but probably really wanted Yuzu to see it. In this case subtly might have been better yea, but anything that's not Yuzu's face like Pooh and headphones are copyrighted/patented so stuff like that wouldn't work I think. :shrug:

Actually, any picture of Yuzu's face that isn't taken by the fan outside of a competition, with his permission, is also copyrighted or privacy infringement ^_^; Actually, in this case, fanart would have worked well... (though that's tricky, too)

8 minutes ago, kaerb said:

I think with Kpop, it's not the goal for the idols to see it in person unlike Yuzu where we know where he is most days. Usually, it's a show of the 'strength' of the fandom and also trying to get their idols' images to 'prestigious' places where they wouldn't normally be (also, if it causes one or two New Yorkers to look up the group and become a fan, bonus lol) ( : I didn't realise it but thinking about it, it's one of those 'culture shock' things that is considered weird outside of fandom lol

Yea at that point it kind of loses its sweetness factor, while for this ad for Yuzu I can understand the meaning and sentimentality behind it so maybe it works better. But yea, both ways its still fandom-culture shock for people.

4 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Actually, any picture of Yuzu's face that isn't taken by the fan outside of a competition, with his permission, is also copyrighted or privacy infringement ^_^; Actually, in this case, fanart would have worked well... (though that's tricky, too)

Didn't even think of that! Now I hope for their sake that bus ad was fan taken or hand drawn. It went through so at least no one cares or hopefully they won't.

12 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

Didn't even think of that! Now I hope for their sake that bus ad was fan taken or hand drawn. It went through so at least no one cares or hopefully they won't.

They'd have to be real jerks to ask them to take it down for breach of copyright and that's assuming they have copyright in the first place. If they got it from a broadcaster, the broadcaster would own copyright and not Yuzu himself. If the photo was taken by a fan, the fan would own copyright (assuming Canada is part of the intl treaty). I don't know Canada's copyright laws but they should be quite similar to Aus as we study Canadian cases as a cross-cultural comparison and performer's rights in copyright generally doesn't apply to sports and/or to photos of a live performance in Aus, meaning Yuzu would not own joint copyright over his image. Basically, as long as they haven't taken it from a broadcaster or magazine, they should be okay (and again, see point one about being jerks lol). 

24 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

I was joking about the headphones. :P I don't think you can really do anything right on his doorstep and have it not be creepy. If it was outside the Sendai rink, for example, I think that would be different, but this is like staking out somebody's school or something. As a proud Private and Paranoid PersonTM, I just know it would embarrass and freak me out. I hope it doesn't upset him and he can laugh it off. 

10 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

I was joking about the headphones. :P I don't think you can really do anything right on his doorstep and have it not be creepy. If it was outside the Sendai rink, for example, I think that would be different, but this is like staking out somebody's school or something. As a proud Private and Paranoid PersonTM, I just know it would embarrass and freak me out. I hope it doesn't upset him and he can laugh it off. 

Hopefully. Maybe he'd be more perplexed and embarrassed than anything, but well outside TCC and others some people wouldn't realize its him maybe. From the laughing tone of the person from TCC who shared it, probably that's how this bus ad was seen and the atmosphere, as more lightheartedly in the end.

3 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I honestly don't get fans, sometimes... like, I understand wanting to show your support and let him know he is loved across the globe, but put yourself in his shoes, ffs. Canada is the one place where he can just be himself, without being a megastar, where he can actually walk down the street and just be a normal 22 year old. And in this safe world, he suddenly finds a billboard with his name and face on it. Like... seriously? If it were me, it'd be far more cringe-worthy and like a slap in the face, than "aww, that's so sweet!".

Admittedly, I also don't fully get fans who send him tons of fanart - or well, if it's of him skating, that might still work, because it references his art, but when it's just off-ice, non-skating stuff... - when he's said he finds it embarrassing to look at his own face so much. And I know I definitely would, too. Drawing them is of course no problem, it's the sending to him I don't really get. But at least those he can give to his family, who probably appreciate them more and it sends a message about him inspiring people in their own art form. So I can understand it a bit and he's said he understands it, too. But I'd still rather send him stuff that means something to him rather than stuff that mean something to me. (Or at least try to balance it out.)

Or maybe I've just got hangups because I've been accused of bothering a musician I admired, by someone, in a spiteful argument and that hit harder than all the other stuff she shot at me :P So now I'm extra careful and overanalyze my interactions with those whose fan I am ^_^; (I actually still feel a bit bad about my own letters at NHK and feel a bit like I overdid it, but... I'll never know, I guess.)

My point is, he'll never say anything - I'm still a bit surprised he said what he said about fanart - because it'd be rude and he'd seem ungrateful, and of course, he appreciates the intentions. Which is why I think it's up to each fan to control him/herself and support him in ways that he can fully and honestly appreciate, and not feel like "well, I do appreciate the intention...".

Eeerr,I guess I'm a bit slow on the uptake today....So that thingy on the busstop is not photoshopped? I wad pretty sure it was,lol.

If it's real then it's downright creepy. So awkward and intrusive to my taste. The last thing he needs is to be restricted within four walls  even in Toronto when he can be  relatively  free and move around wile having a luxury without being recognized. 

I know their intentions were probably positive but still ...

Official attire for the Japanese athletes for PC 2018.  I think this is much better compared to the Sochi ones. (but the pants, it's grayish right, not whitish).  I would like to see Yuzu use the second one, but knowing he's the I'll-wear-whatever's-comfortable, he'll go for the first one :laughing:

10 minutes ago, Anya said:

Official attire for the Japanese athletes for PC 2018.  I think this is much better compared to the Sochi ones. (but the pants, it's grayish right, not whitish).  I would like to see Yuzu use the second one, but knowing he's the I'll-wear-whatever's-comfortable, he'll go for the first one :laughing:

I endorse the double breasted suit, Yuzu's probably got the rare figure that could pull it off lol. On the whole, it's not bad. Not particularly distinctive but sensible enough. I cannot look at a silk scarf around the neck and not think flight attendants though 

I laughed when I saw that ad space. IMO Its a nice gesture and  its not that creepy. Its a bus stop near TCC, its gonna be real creepy if they do it in front of TCC, or hiding behind  and scream "happy birthday" to whoever stop and see it. I think Yuzuru would appreciate it when he know even though he could feel a bit awkward at the same time. Yes, Canada is a place where he can live like an ordinary person, but I don't think one bus stop ad could change anything.  And this is way far from stalking, its not like they put a camera into that ad

1 hour ago, kaerb said:

They'd have to be real jerks to ask them to take it down for breach of copyright and that's assuming they have copyright in the first place. If they got it from a broadcaster, the broadcaster would own copyright and not Yuzu himself. If the photo was taken by a fan, the fan would own copyright (assuming Canada is part of the intl treaty). I don't know Canada's copyright laws but they should be quite similar to Aus as we study Canadian cases as a cross-cultural comparison and performer's rights in copyright generally doesn't apply to sports and/or to photos of a live performance in Aus, meaning Yuzu would not own joint copyright over his image. Basically, as long as they haven't taken it from a broadcaster or magazine, they should be okay (and again, see point one about being jerks lol). 

The problem isn't so much about taking them down - and somehow I don't see people selling ad space as being particularly copyright conscious. But we also have to remember ISU claims the rights to every footage that is taken during ISU events. And everything else is either printed or online media. Non-copyrighted stuff would be just stuff like him posing for fans outside of venues, or those pictures taken with him at TCC or so. With Japanese copyright laws being extremely strict, we inevitably break them now and then, but my answer was more in reaction to the headphones or Pooh would be copyright infringement. Admittedly, it'd be copyright infringement more obvious and easily recognizable to the Canadian authorities, but, technically, just about anything would be copyright infringement ^_^;

As for the other, I guess like @SparkleSalad, I'm really big on privacy. I'm also a fan of an artist who used to be an idol and was somewhat open about hating the intensity of the attention he got (admittedly, there are some disturbing rumors out there of how crazy it gets for idols), and he even wrote a song about how he felt about the attention and such. Also, personally, I have experienced unwanted attention, though nowhere near stalking level, and I hated it so much. A panel like that outside my work place, by someone I don't even know, would creep the hell out of me. Good intentions or not. To some level, he's used to it, but not in Toronto. Or not as much. Of course, the address of TCC is hardly a top secret, but still... I don't know. For example, all the ad panels in Sendai for the exhibition might have also been embarrassing for him - if he used the Subway, which he probably didn't - but that was official and different and something else. Even if it'd been fan made, he probably would have found it cute or so - albeit, still embarrassing to some level; or I'm just projecting. But in Toronto...  (Though actually, I also felt super awkward at Ice Rink Sendai and even walking through Sendai. Because my only reason for being there was it was where Yuzu's story had started - and it wasn't open to visitors back then - so I felt a bit like a stalker. Especially since he was in Sendai, then. I actually skipped visiting the home town of one of my favorite musicians, because there wasn't anything to visit there and again, I felt like a stalker, although I had previously wanted to see the place he'd grown up in, as a way of getting to know him better. As I said, I am likely overthinking everything. I'm about as good at that as Yuzu :P)

42 minutes ago, Anya said:

Prays for a fitted suit.