General Yuzuru Chat

45 minutes ago, Xen said:

It is possible that he has three versions to pull out depending on what he needs, but in my opinion, which Yuzu does not know of, he just needs the 4Lo in SP. But maybe he is also practicing to get used to the differences between loop and lutz, since linking them in the long seems to be his main issue.

I think we are mixing two different things in these discussions. what Yuzu needs and what Yuzu wants are not always the same thing and we know that he gets what he wants :laughing:

Also, if Yuzu does think that he needs the 4Lz then he is most likely is correct. That guy's crystal ball is the real thing and he always knew what would happen before anyone else. He even proven his own coach wrong when he insisted on the 4L that Brian did not want and we all know how that worked out

Anyway, I am sure everything will depend on his physical condition. So we will see what happens at Nationals :shrug: Yuzu is smart and I trust his decisions

Auto correct changed coach to couch, I don't think Brian will like that very much :biggrin:

About what Yuzuru could be thinking about 4Lz and the fact that training it can be dangerous for his health or not, and also about what he was training in practice at NHK, I listened again the last podcast of Ambesi and Dolfini (the 7th, minutes around 5.00-6.50): https://www.spreaker.com/user/talk-sport/puntata-7

Following Ambesi, as we know, the day before practice Yuzuru had high fever (around 39°); at the only practice he attended, Yuzuru realised soon that's something was off:  after warming up Yuzu tried the combination 4T-3T, landed, but he began to shake his head (in negative way), probably because he felt that the effects of the flu were still there; then he tried another jump, that he opened, after which he tried to jump the 4Lz. This jump, in his intentions, should be the opening jump of the short program, because the layout has been trained with the Lutz for first jump. That  day this jump had not enough height/parabola, but he didn't open as usual, in order to complete the rotation instead. He did it, without having enough space to land properly and leading to the injury.

When Ambesi asked to Dolfini, what are the effects of the flu and high fever on skating and more on jumps (6.52-6.57), Dolfini answered that in this condition skaters lack the energy and coordination to do such difficult jumps (the quadruples), the lack of right balance and also problems in the legs, that can result heavier than usual (around 7.00-10.00 minutes of the podcast). We are seeing maybe the effects of the flu also on Shoma after more than a week from his recovery: http://shoma-uno.tumblr.com/post/167602841157/shoma-after-the-short-program-november-17th.

The conclusion of Ambesi and Dolfini after all this saying, is that the problem was the condition after the flu for jumping quadruples, and not the 4Lz in particular. However, the fact that the injury arrived after a bad landing of the 4Lz, could have some psychological back effects.

I cannot imagine the condition of Yuzu that day and I am a little bit angry at him and at his strong will to compete at NHK under those conditions, also If, from some points of view, I can understand him.

Then (around 15.00-17.00 minutes of the podcast) Ambesi said that following him, and knowing Yuzuru, is not thinkable that he would skate at the OGM without 4Lz. He said also that Yuzu trained and added the 4Lz in his layout because last season he probably felt that he was not scored well/properly in comparison to others  (litterally: "non si è sentito verosimilmemte premiato fino in fondo in termini di valutazioni ottenute") and to be "sure" to win he realised he needed the 4th quadruple.

It will be very difficult now to turn back from this acknowledgement, also because this situation (the jumps layout and the GOE/PCS scores of some others, mostly Shoma and Nathan) it has been confirmed by the first competitions of this season. Then he and Dolfini speak about the correct scoring of PCS and the problem of their levelling among the top skaters: this is one of the factor pushing Yuzu and others for a more difficult layout.

* I edited the part about the combination trained, that as Yatagarasu stated was 4T-3T, and I stressed the parts where I wrote that Ambesi and Dolfini are expressing their opinions on the basis of what they know. It was clear to me that they were not speaking for Yuzuru, and I am sorry if my  part of translation, part resume gave you other ideas. I hope that soon you will find the complete translation of the podcast so that you can check better.

2 hours ago, kaerb said:

completely off topic but I was curious about the asymmetry of yuzu's face so I did that thing where you duplicate the left and right sides of their face and.... :laughing:

Left has more masculine/strong features while right is softer....

I think his right side/profile might be the cause of all that age/gender app showing him as a young girl.

4 minutes ago, crystal said:

4lo-3lo combination…really?That's new, never heard about it,which is even bigger than 4lz:confused:

4T-3T, I am pretty sure, though @fireovertheice can check in with us please. But we have a 4T-3T video, and I am almost positive that no, he has never tried that one.

Thank you skating gods and all because hips, hips. Owww. *crosses legs*

1 hour ago, fireovertheice said:

Then (around 15.00-17.00 minutes of the podcast) Ambesi said that following him, and knowing Yuzuru, is not thinkable that he would skate at the OGM without 4Lz. He said also that Yuzu trained and added the 4Lz in his layout because last season he felt that he was not scored well/properly in comparison to others  (litterally: "non si è sentito verosimilmemte premiato fino in fondo in termini di valutazioni ottenute") and to be "sure" to win he realised he needed the 4th quadruple.

It will be very difficult now to turn back from this acknowledgement, also because this situation (the jumps layout and the GOE/PCS scores of some others, mostly Shoma and Nathan) it has been confirmed by the first competitions of this season. Then he and Dolfini speak about the correct scoring of PCS and the problem of their levelling among the top skaters: this is one of the factor pushing Yuzu and others for a more difficult layout.

That bolded part is giving me weird feelings :sad-smiley-046:Mostly because he's right, but knowing he also thinks that is kind of making me sad but proud too - takes confidence to think that, and he really needs it. To be honest I still think this is also the main reason Chopin is back, the judges always scored that really well - and looking at ACI & CoR, they did score it higher then LGC again (if we compare those performances to some with LGC with similar level of being clean).

And yeah, the scoring is really pushing him to add that 4Lz. It sucks, because by all accounts of looking at actual quality yes, last years layouts should be enough, but if we look at the actual scoring they won't be if Shoma and to a lesser extent Nathan deliver well enough. The judges are basically forcing him to risk his health there if he wants to make the OGM a sure doesn't-depend-on-others-making-mistakes thing. So I hope people will stop being angry at the 4Lz (or Yuzu himself) and direct the anger where it belongs - like always - at the judges :P

I have to wonder a bit how does Max know what Yuzu feels/felt... As far as I know, Yuzu doesn't really do interviews not in Japanese - or does them very rarely - and if that's insider info, it seems a bit rude to reveal it like this, when Yuzu himself has never spoken about it (and wouldn't, because it'd go against his usual style).

That said, I'm pretty sure he is aware of the scoring issues. He's the type who sees a bigger picture than everyone else. So I'm sure he has taken that into consideration. But I also don't think he's the type to agonize over it. He acknowledges it and searches for ways to conquer it.

On top of that, I doubt he would not have been tempted by 4Lz anyway. He wants all quads. Would he have taken the risk this season? Who knows. But he is not being forced to add it. He wants it and this gives him a good reason to add it.

Bottom line is, we agonize about judging, but I don't think Yuzu does. It's not like him. He might think it's unfair at times, but he doesn't complain about it. And that is one of the great things about him, from a fan's POV - especially when there are so many things to complain about. So for Max to come and sort of complain on his behalf, it bugs me a bit. ^_^;

(I just stumbled upon a bit of the earlier this season talk of 4A on Facebook and I have to say I'm happy there aren't more competitions until the Olympics. The way he talked about it there...:peekapooh:)

3 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

4T-3T, I am pretty sure, though @fireovertheice can check in with us please. But we have a 4T-3T video, and I am almost positive that no, he has never tried that one.

Thank you skating gods and all because hips, hips. Owww. *crosses legs*

Sorry, @yatagarasu is absolutely right: Ambesi said 4T-3T (my bad in doing the transcription I left behind the Toe- and is quite different).

You can hear it clearly at 5.40-5.41

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

I have to wonder a bit how does Max know what Yuzu feels/felt... As far as I know, Yuzu doesn't really do interviews not in Japanese - or does them very rarely - and if that's insider info, it seems a bit rude to reveal it like this, when Yuzu himself has never spoken about it (and wouldn't, because it'd go against his usual style).

That said, I'm pretty sure he is aware of the scoring issues. He's the type who sees a bigger picture than everyone else. So I'm sure he has taken that into consideration. But I also don't think he's the type to agonize over it. He acknowledges it and searches for ways to conquer it.

On top of that, I doubt he would not have been tempted by 4Lz anyway. He wants all quads. Would he have taken the risk this season? Who knows. But he is not being forced to add it. He wants it and this gives him a good reason to add it.

Bottom line is, we agonize about judging, but I don't think Yuzu does. It's not like him. He might think it's unfair at times, but he doesn't complain about it. And that is one of the great things about him, from a fan's POV - especially when there are so many things to complain about. So for Max to come and sort of complain on his behalf, it bugs me a bit. ^_^;

(I just stumbled upon a bit of the earlier this season talk of 4A on Facebook and I have to say I'm happy there aren't more competitions until the Olympics. The way he talked about it there...:peekapooh:)

Yeah I think unless it's Yuzuru himself saying so, there is no way other people can know for sure about Yuzuru's feelings. Maybe the expressions in Italian have different meanings. I am not sure.

But really, Yuzuru and TCC surely are aware of the scoring issues. I have no doubt about that.

We can only hope that Yuzuru will recover fast and pray for his health. 

2 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I have to say - and my bad if I made not clear enough - that Ambesi and Dofini are speaking their opinions about all this (but I wrote clearly: "following him", meaning Ambesi...and so forth), not pretending to know for sure what Yuzuru is thinking. The only thing that they seemed to know was about the presence of 4Lz in the programs of this year and in what he was training. But frankly, looking at the second part of last season, for the experts or in general for persons who follow constantly the discipline and Yuzu, It wasn't difficult to say that.

They don't said that Yuzuru was agonizing about that, but just what you have said. Because "He acknowledges it and searches for ways to conquer it", in the current situation he has to do two things; raising TES but at the same time trying to be clean as much as possibile. From here the new 4Lz, a little backloading in the second half of the programs and the revisitation of the old programs. He is not leaving back anything that could be possible let him down after.

Ambesi is saying that Yuzuru would add the 4Lz before Nathan and Shoma landed them (just right after Boyang did it). But I think that is probably true that if the 4Lo, GOE and PCS would be enough for a sure win, he would have not risked to train a new jump in the short season of OGM, IMO.

1 hour ago, fireovertheice said:

I have to say - and my bad if I made not clear enough - that Ambesi and Dofini are speaking their opinions about all this (but I wrote clearly: "following him", meaning Ambesi...and so forth), not pretending to know for sure what Yuzuru is thinking.

Oh geez, I'm so sorry, I misread that :facepalm:  Can I claim partial mental incapacity because of anger at ridiculous judging?

Regarding 4Lz this season or not - I think the original plan was: 3 quads in LP in 2014-15, 4Lo in 2015-16, 4Lz in 2016-17. We know he started of like that in 2014, and had been training 4Lo & 4Lz for a long time. So he could have stayed with a trusted layout for the Oly season. But the damn accident put a stop to those plans. The way it is... not sure what he would have done with sane scoring. He loves challenges, so maybe he would have anyway.