General Yuzuru Chat

16 minutes ago, kaerb said:

I absolutely don't expect him to take out the 4Lo - he never skates a program with an easier layout than one he's already skated - and he'll only take out the 4Lz if it goes disastrously badly at Nationals and probably with his team forcing him to. 

The universe is quick to remind the boy to listen to his body for once and know his limitations. I'm speculating here but maybe the failed 4Los and fever were making him unsettled and Yuzu's general response to being unsettled is to amp things up to eleven push himself harder, not ease up.... leading to a harsh and painful lesson yet again ugh.

I'm sad because this may have actually been a situation where Brian or Tracy may have been more familiar with reading his moods and general condition and may have been able to force him to calm down a bit and not rush into more quads. I don't expect Ghislain to be focused on that since I imagine his attention would be on the jumps. C'est la vie. Lots of bad luck happening at once )): 

I've been thinking the same about Ghislain. It's unfortunate for everyone, but I do think there's a chance Brian or Tracy would have recognized things. It's a bit like a teacher or a babysitter vs parents. When even if the teacher or babysitter does notice something is wrong, they lack the confidence or authority to impose themselves and correct the issue. I'm not sure even Tracy is as imposing as Brian. (Yuzu has actually shown signs of depending on Brian even before. He seems to not feel comfortable when Brian is not around. Brian mentioned something like that last year and then there was WTT. Of course, even if Brian had been there, the fall and the injury might still have happened. But you can't help but wonder... and how much they all must wonder, too.)

I'm not surprised stubborn Yuzu appeared again. It's in his nature to be like that. But I think Brian has learned to control that side of him, compromise here and there, so it'll still be quite ok...

5 minutes ago, kaerb said:

You think? I mean...I would recommend it but I see Yuzu stubbornly not wanting to be cowed by it. I read (was it someone's comment here?) that 4Lo might be tougher on his foot/ligaments though?  

Brian said before that he usually let's skaters make their own choices but if there's something he vehemently disagrees about he will make himself known. And I'm not sure if he might not vehemently disagree after this, considering the recovery time and how Yuzu's conditioning might be somewhat set back. He may even convince Yuzu. 

4 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Brian said before that he usually let's skaters make their own choices but if there's something he vehemently disagrees about he will make himself known. And I'm not sure if he might not vehemently disagree after this, considering the recovery time and how Yuzu's conditioning might be somewhat set back.

The question is if Yuzu would listen... maybe the injury will make him reconsider but he's proven Brian wrong many times too....and this is literally his do-or-die Olympics Ideal we're talking about >_> well. We'll find out, hopefully. 

5 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I've been thinking the same about Ghislain. It's unfortunate for everyone, but I do think there's a chance Brian or Tracy would have recognized things. It's a bit like a teacher or a babysitter vs parents. When even if the teacher or babysitter does notice something is wrong, they lack the confidence or authority to impose themselves and correct the issue. I'm not sure even Tracy is as imposing as Brian. (Yuzu has actually shown signs of depending on Brian even before. He seems to not feel comfortable when Brian is not around. Brian mentioned something like that last year and then there was WTT. Of course, even if Brian had been there, the fall and the injury might still have happened. But you can't help but wonder... and how much they all must wonder, too.)

I'm not surprised stubborn Yuzu appeared again. It's in his nature to be like that. But I think Brian has learned to control that side of him, compromise here and there, so it'll still be quite ok...

yeah I agree re: Ghislain probably lacking the confidence to pull him back especially with someone as stubborn as Yuzu to begin with, and it must have all happened so quickly. I'd say Yuzu's only managed to rein in some of that nervous overtraining energy recently (as recently as Helsinki) so I'm not surprised he lapsed into bad habits without Brian to keep an eagle eye on him. Well. Hopefully this is more psychological insight for them to work on in training. s i g h

52 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

That reminds me.

I had a dream last night that while the uncles are out of GPF.. Shoma, Nathan and Boyang made the podium ( can't remember who won) but the person who won gold got around 322-ish total so everyone was saying "the new it skater"... but then Yuzu decided to enter a level B competition during the GPF time, and.. he won gold. And.. broke the WR  (it was like a NHK15 moment) got higher than 330... So my twitter feed was literally full of 

'his 5th straight GPF medal' and everyone was like "damn we really shouldn't doubted him"... :smiley-laughing021:

perfect dream, give me one tonight...i still don't believe what happened this two days...too dramatic...just too dramatic...too dramatic.

(322 too high) 

35 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

one of the reason why I think 4Lo and 4Lz will stay for Oly.. :facepalm:

let's try 3lo and 3lz first :biggrin:

Zuzu needs to fight with fever, flu and asthma first...

I blame his body, not 4lz...sigh...

The injury happened. Let's hope Brian, Yuzu, and Javi will get better soon~and Patrick

14 minutes ago, Neenah said:

He doesn't HAVE to do anything other than look after himself and do what he thinks is best.. This his fight, his future, his body and his dream, and he gets to do whatever he wants to achieve it even if it makes us uncomfortable   

Of course. It's all on him. Just my thoughts about what he should do. But his team surely have to reconsider the plan they had made. 

Just now, kaerb said:

The question is if Yuzu would listen... maybe the injury will make him reconsider but he's proven Brian wrong many times too.... >_> well. We'll find out, hopefully. 

This of course all depends on how quickly Yuzu gets on his feet and how training and conditioning goes. Adding 4Lz and a 5-quad FS after setting back his conditioning might be complicated, even for his stubborness. But he could go for a 4-quad Seimei with 4Lz, who knows. 

Just now, xeyra said:

This of course all depends on how quickly Yuzu gets on his feet and how training and conditioning goes. Adding 4Lz and a 5-quad FS after setting back his conditioning might be complicated, even for his stubborness. But he could go for a 4-quad Seimei with 4Lz, who knows. 

Yep, agreed. I don't doubt if he's able to jump the 4Lz, he will fight tooth and nail for it. 

5 minutes ago, meoima said:

Is there anything new here https://t.co/mNRc5yV12t

Title is good. No news...

Good decision to WD, will definitely go to OG, aim for repeat gold

blame 4lz, high school coach said no 4lz will still win, Yuzu's challenge mind and all injuries since Sochi :sadPooh:

(come on, blame the fever from Osaka...not baby 4lz)

5 minutes ago, meoima said:

Is there anything new here https://t.co/mNRc5yV12t

Nah, it's just an opinion piece that's been mentioned before, I think. Blah blah, good decision he made, blah blah, he can still get chosen for Olympics even if he misses Nationals, commentary by an old jump teacher from Yuzu's childhood about learning new jumps bringing its dangers, Yuzu wanting to challenge himself for it to be a competition, etc.