Mentions of Hanyu by others

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread for this or to post it in the one that says Books, Magazines and Random Findings. But I decided to start a new one cos it's always nice to see things said about him or mentions of him by others, especially when they're positive, and finding it all in one dedicated place makes it easier. Feel free to join this thread with the other if you don't agree, though.

Anyway, I found this very recent interview with Grant Hochstein that I haven't seen mentioned here yet. Here's the part where he mentions Hanyu:

引用

FSO: Would you like to share your opinion about the recent “explosion of quads” among the top men and what you think it means for the sport?

GH: I think it’s really exciting what is happening in men’s skating right now. The quad race is thrilling to watch for viewers and I hope it is attracting more fans that can see the technical side of our sport. I think what people need to remember though, is that this sport is about being well rounded. Difficult jumps are rewarded highly in our current judging system, but I think it is okay every once in a while to take a step back to see what made skating great for so many decades. The greatest champions were and are the ones who can master all aspects of skating, even if they aren’t singularly the best at any single one of them. Even up to our current men’s world champion, Yuzuru Hanyu, who clearly excels at all aspects of our sport even if he isn’t the highest jumper or fastest spinner, people will remember him for his all around greatness. So yes, I think the quad race is thrilling and exciting beyond belief, but let’s not forget to remember why skating is so wonderful.

For those of you interested in reading the full interview, it's this one here:

Q&A with Grant Hochstein at the beginning of his final season

I do recommend reading all of it. He has some nice insights and the part where he gushes about the kitten he and his fiancee now keep is unbridled in its cuteness overload.

Gaby Daleman about Javi and Yuzu

"It was actually Javi who said before my long program (at Worlds) that he knew I could do it and that I had it in me. He was one of my idols growing up so hearing that from him gave me that extra tiny boost of Confidence that I needed. It made me think 'OK, I can do it. I've got this. Let's go.'" From the first day she walked into the Cricket Club, Daleman said it has been super motivating to train alongside the likes of Fernández and Yuzuru Hanyu. "I looked up to them when I was younger and just getting to train with them... I remember seeing them practice one day and saying to my brother (zack) 'oh my god, they do fall.' It was just surreal to me. I was like 'they're human!' "They are the sweetest people I've traveled with, and they are so supportive, so amazing and so inspirational. Yuzuru works so hard and he's always trying to learn different things I see how motivated he is and how much he wants it, and what he's willing to do for it in so incredible" "Javi is so motivated. I see the produce from the beginning of the season to the end of the season, and I learn from that. It is truly such an honor for me to train with those two. I'm really grateful for that."

Kohei Uchimura (source)

tumblr_o0zxrue5MJ1u1956wo1_1280.jpg

Kohei Uchimura talked with Yuzuru Hanyu at the “50th TV Asahi Big Sports Award” Ceremony:

“More like he asked me things one-sidedly. He asked me a lot of technical things like, ‘How different are the springs on the floor when you go overseas?’ and about twisting in gymnastics. Even though I said things only a gymnast would know, he still understood well so I was surprised. He’s very eager to learn. I see that’s why he’s a gold medalist. I watch Hanyu-kun’s performances on TV every time and am motivated. It’s also a judged sport so there are a lot of things in common. Setting a new record each time means he’s raising the degree of perfection in his performance each time. That’s what I want to do too.”

Takahito Mura mentions Yuzu in this interview.

https://tadakixd.tumblr.com/post/163369378225/takahito-mura-yuzu-and-shomas-existence-drives

"—– What was it about Hanyu that spurred you on?

When you reach this level, you feel like you need to surpass your limits by one more (level). Talking about jumps, when Yuzu told me “I think if you moved just a little bit more like this it would work, you know?”, I practiced accordingly and my 4T stabilized. When I began practicing the salchow too, he taught me the details saying “the image I have is this kind of movement”. Everyone uses their body differently, but I looked at where my movements and the movements he talked about were the same and where they were different. Looking at the things in common, when I thought about what the points (to pay attention to) were, it gave me a hint of what I could do to increase my success rate with my jumps. When it comes to who helped improve my skating, Yuzu was a key person for me."

6 hours ago, kitsune said:

Takahito Mura mentions Yuzu in this interview.

https://tadakixd.tumblr.com/post/163369378225/takahito-mura-yuzu-and-shomas-existence-drives

"—– What was it about Hanyu that spurred you on?

When you reach this level, you feel like you need to surpass your limits by one more (level). Talking about jumps, when Yuzu told me “I think if you moved just a little bit more like this it would work, you know?”, I practiced accordingly and my 4T stabilized. When I began practicing the salchow too, he taught me the details saying “the image I have is this kind of movement”. Everyone uses their body differently, but I looked at where my movements and the movements he talked about were the same and where they were different. Looking at the things in common, when I thought about what the points (to pay attention to) were, it gave me a hint of what I could do to increase my success rate with my jumps. When it comes to who helped improve my skating, Yuzu was a key person for me."

Seems like contrary to common belief Yuzu would make a good coach :smile:

• 5 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Nobu talking about Yuzu? It's an old clip but anyone care to translate? :7562096:

I can give the gist of it for now.

Obviously the first part is just explaining how difficult his 3A entry is and basics of how entry and exits into jumps affect score. 

Next part is Nobu sharing a "legendary episode." He said he was watching a 15 year old Hanyu practice and saw him do a beautiul quad and praised him along the lines of "omg that was super beautiful!" to which a young Hanyu replied "It was my first time tying (challenging) that today." Which Nobu couldn't believe because he said it took him 2-3 years of practice to get a quad. He said it was unbelievable and amazing.

3 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

I can give the gist of it for now.

Obviously the first part is just explaining how difficult his 3A entry is and basics of how entry and exits into jumps affect score. 

Next part is Nobu sharing a "legendary episode." He said he was watching a 15 year old Hanyu practice and saw him do a beautiul quad and praised him along the lines of "omg that was super beautiful!" to which a young Hanyu replied "It was my first time tying (challenging) that today." Which Nobu couldn't believe because he said it took him 2-3 years of practice to get a quad. He said it was unbelievable and amazing.

Thank you! :bow: (LOL at Yuzu.... :rofl:)