Programs we remember

17 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Hmm, yes there is that (in)famous interview by now with her but then I look at how she handles Zhenya - she was completely blase about the 3-3-3 and it was RusFed that forbid it post-Europeans, not Eteri, so I would say yes, she's demanding and strict, but I think at some point, she lets the reins go a little, as we saw with Zhenya. Zheyna does have input in the music too, etc so it's not all little automaton as some may see it.

I think you've basically hit the nail on the head there, with Zhenya's personality. She's confident, assertive and I think someone who'd respond well to blunt and doesn't flinch easily. I am not sure if you know the story, so I find it a good example for those two. When she was young and came to Eteri, she kept falling so Eteri took her by her feet and dragged her across the ice saying do you like being there (paraphrasing). So how many kids would respond well? Those who would get angry and huff and storm off to do it better. Zhenya's mother was also a figure skater so maybe that was also helpful as the years passed, to have that experience in her corner.

But someone like Yulia? I see her like you do, and then when we think about all the things she faced, I think she needed gentler, softer approach which I just don't see Eteri having. She's too alpha, too dominant for that type of personality, she'd walk all over her, even if trying to be kind. And of course, overall her situation was truly rotten, no child should have to bear with that.

So that nobody misunderstands, I'm not saying Yulia is 'weak' or anything, just that personalities should match up at least somewhat or it is difficult to function, especially when the skater is a minor and in general, much less capable of standing their ground that a fully formed, mature adult would be.

Ohh I just found the documentary (on Eteri mostly) with English subtitles here, complete with the dragging feet across ice story. From this docu, it seems Zhenya is the rare rare breed of human who is galvanised by humiliation/failure and fired up to do better after she gets angry (I think she shares this quality with Yuzu). She and Eteri seem to have that special relationship of two very strong personalities recognising each other and respecting each other, hence being able to work together so well. No doubt Zhenya brings out the softer side to Eteri too (I think they share a lot of common qualities).   

Definitely agree with Yulia and Eteri says in this that Yulia has a very 'dominant' mother as well so I'm not surprised that maybe she needed a coach with a gentler style, who could let her open up and be more assertive in herself. Alas. I hope she's happy now though.

Aw man I'm not ashamed to admit that Yulia's is probably the only one I'm very familiar with in this list. I've only started following figure skating around Sochi.. I mean I had been aware of the sport but never actually cared enough to follow it.

The first time I saw the program I was mesmerized it's so captivating and how could you not fall in love to that?? Simply ART. :smiley-love017:

It's so sad that it seems to be doing downhill slowly for her and the combination of growing/puberty, media frenzy, coach problem, and injuries certainly hit her hard. I think she's a very determined, strong young lady (teenager, even) but one could only withstand so much. If the love of skating is no longer there and she no longer feels comfortable/happy doing it then I could only wish her happiness and that she finds another purpose in her life.

If I'm being selfish ofc I'd want to see her skating because it'd be a shame that we could only witness this much of her, and she's not even matured fully yet and there is still that much potential we have yet to see.. but yea I just want her to live her life as she wishes, that no matter which path she'd take, she'd find success and happiness. :heart:

Julia was an outstanding talent. Agree with your comments about her situation and wish her all the best.  I remember some commentators  were discussing during the season if this sad and serious theme is suitable for a young skater like she was back then, but in the end she convinced I guess everyone including me with her performance. Though still I found some parts of the program too restless for a peaceful piece of music like Schindler´s list is.

About the dragging: don´t really know what happened there but here where I live that type of action would have been approved only if it was done just for fun and they were both enjoying the situation, not for couching purposes. In some countries there is a long tradition of authoritarian couching but things have been changing towards more individual approach I guess almost everywhere. In his junior days Yuzu was working also with former Russian ice dancers and appreciated their co-operation but as far as I remember there were no considerations that he would have chosen Russia instead of the Cricket club, was there?

And in an epic change of pace, we stay put 

• Mao Asada of Japan, skating to Piano Concerto No. 2 by Sergei Rachmaninoff, at the 2014 Olympic Games, in Sochi, Russia

Like with a few other skaters we've mentioned here, there is more than one program that we could showcase here when it comes to Mao Asada. A 3-time World champion (2008, 2010, 2014), a 3-time Four Continents champion (2008, 2010, 2013), a 4-time Grand Prix Final champion (2005, 2008, 2012, 2013), 2005 World Junior champion, the 2004 Junior Grand Prix Final champion, and a 6-time Japanese national champion and of course, the 2010 Olympic silver medalist. 

Many would choose perhaps the Junior Worlds, or the 2008 Worlds or the 2010. I don't think there's a wrong choice here when it comes to all these skates. She was the first Junior lady who landed the triple Axel, accomplished in the 2004/05 season at the JGPF. First skater from Asia to win multiple world championships in the singles. First singles skater, male or female, to win all seven of the current events on the Grand Prix series (2013, at Skate America). Her rivalry with Kim Yuna was the stuff of legends. So what do you pick?

Until the 2016-17 Grand Prix final, Mao held the the world record for the ladies' short program score. It was accomplished at the 2014 World Championships in Saitama, where she won her third World title, becoming only the third woman in the previous 45 years to have done so, along with Michelle Kwan and Katarina Witt), as well as tenth woman overall. But that season, 2013/14 did not start that way and the Olympic Games brought us something completely different. In the team event, Mao Asada was assigned to skate the short program, but it did not go well. She fell on the 3A and placed third overall. If that wasn't good, the short program for the individual event was a disaster. Once that was over, she was sitting in the 16th place. Once again fell on the 3A, UR on the 3F and popping the 3Lo. It could have crushed her, it has certainly happened many, many times before. 

So we come to this free program, that was truly a personal redemption. Was it the best, no, was it perfect, no, did it win her a medal, no but Mao Asada left her soul on that ice and showed why she has been the skater we have talked about for so long, that has without a doubt written her name in the figure skating history, even without that Olympic gold.

Here with the commentary of TAT, who coached her for a while (with English translation) and quite apropos for the occasion.

Alternate Link 1 - NBC

Oh, this was crushing! The ladies event in Sochi was full of heartbreak. Personally, I am a Yuna fan and whenever they are competing against each other I always rooted for Yuna. That does not mean I cannot appreciate and applaud Mao. When she ended up at the 16th place after SP I was just so crushed. But this comeback, tho...  :tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow:Knowing that she did not have the chance at the podium but skated the best she could anyway... same, Tat, same...:tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

I have always wondered how Mao would be if she had not change coach that frequently. Because while her footwork, 3A, spins, and spirals are marvellous, there's just something in her skating that did not click with me, and I cannot explain it. Maybe because of her jumps, which apart from 3A, were not as fluid, I don't know. I remember always feeling that she was going to fall every time she jumped.

When she decided to relearn her jumps after Vancouver, I was very impressed. It takes a lot for a reigning World champion to reflect on her skating and decide she needs to work from the scratch again. And it cost her so much as well. Her career was very impressive and when she r****d earlier this year, I could not help but mourn the end of an era that she and Yuna lighted up. 

Noooooooooooo! This skate... ugh... and how she broke down after she finished :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:. Honestly, if you talk about THE most memorable skate at Sochi I would rank Mao's free skate as number one. The emotions, not just Mao's! You can practically feel everyone just so invested and moved by that skate.

I have so many programs to catch up on * - *

No, I wasn't a Mao fan but that one always ranks high on my list of performances that really move me. It was all about the strength of character, the fight coming back from 16th place in SP, pulling herself together and putting out an exhilarating skate like that. In fact I always forget that I didn't like the first 10-20s of it because of how perfectly it builds up and takes off. The audience felt her fight, and it's like what @kaeryth said, everyone was in unison and invested and rooting for her. When her face crumpled >"< 

And thanks for showing the version with TAT's commentary! I've never seen it with translations, and it's especially appropriate since she choreographed the program for Mao.

On 8/22/2017 at 2:36 PM, yuzupon said:

Oh, this was crushing! The ladies event in Sochi was full of heartbreak. Personally, I am a Yuna fan and whenever they are competing against each other I always rooted for Yuna. That does not mean I cannot appreciate and applaud Mao. When she ended up at the 16th place after SP I was just so crushed. But this comeback, tho...  :tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow:Knowing that she did not have the chance at the podium but skated the best she could anyway... same, Tat, same...:tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

I have always wondered how Mao would be if she had not change coach that frequently. Because while her footwork, 3A, spins, and spirals are marvellous, there's just something in her skating that did not click with me, and I cannot explain it. Maybe because of her jumps, which apart from 3A, were not as fluid, I don't know. I remember always feeling that she was going to fall every time she jumped.

When she decided to relearn her jumps after Vancouver, I was very impressed. It takes a lot for a reigning World champion to reflect on her skating and decide she needs to work from the scratch again. And it cost her so much as well. Her career was very impressive and when she r****d earlier this year, I could not help but mourn the end of an era that she and Yuna lighted up. 

Same, and I don't know why. I think it just goes to show that people have different tastes. I know some people feel so much from watching Mao and are die hard fans and feel nothing from watching Yuna. and I'm the opposite. They have very different styles; Mao is more introverted and Yuna is more expressive. But even though I am not a big fan, I still appreciate how much she's brought to the sport and her never-give-up drive. Even as a Yuna fan, I don't know why Mao was treated so unfairly by the judges.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect the fan thing is purely personal preference- if you like ice goddesses then you'll be in the Yu Na camp - if you like the friendly pleasant always sociable sort then it will be Mao - I can't talk about he technicalities of the skating but I can see fan patterns, and I'm neutral on this one.

Having said that the most neutral observer couldn't help but be moved by what Mao put out in that performance, in the knowledge that it wouldn't put her on the podium- to do the best you can regardless of medals etc has to be in the best sporting tradition, whatever the competition, but to do it at the Olympics- I have no words, to borrow from Mr Orser.  She was magnificent.

• 6 months later...

Just putting a message here to say that this thread is amazing and that's a pity it hasn't been updated for so long. I wish I could contribute, however I'm not very knowledgable about figure skating history :/

• 11 months later...

Just discovered this thread. Ppl talked about Sochi, now I realized it wasn't so bad as we got Mao's legendary FS and 2 CLEAN SKATES FROM CARO! The fact the she barely skated clean thru out her career but put down 2 amazing programs in the most important event is awesome! Glad she got an Olympic medal:

I also wanted to embrace Adelina in this event! A skater with so much potential but also barely skated clean:(. I really like her skating style, elegant, energetic, beautiful straight body line and powerful ss. Her spirals and spins are to die for. I think she pulled off all her strengths best in the SP here:

The non-typical catchfoot to the fan spiral leading to the 2A made me go WOWW. I don't think I've seen any other skater do this cool transition.

34 minutes ago, monchan said:

I also wanted to embrace Adelina in this event! A skater with so much potential but also barely skated clean:(. I really like her skating style, elegant, energetic, beautiful straight body line and powerful ss. Her spirals and spins are to die for. I think she pulled off all her strengths best in the SP here:

The non-typical catchfoot to the fan spiral leading to the 2A made me go WOWW. I don't think I've seen any other skater do this cool transition.

God, she's so good! I don't think she should have won Sochi, but it's amazing the talent she's showing, with so many great gems with her one-handed Biellmann, her fan-spiral -> 2A -> twizzles, her extremely difficult entry into the giant 3F, the perfect illusions, her wonderful energy, and the upside-down catchfoot camel. Really, everything but the sloppy footwork, and the not-great toe loop technique.