Programs we remember

I would say it's so unfair for Yagudin as his main rival's fan still go around the skating forums to make Yagudin worse than he actually was. Honestly I don't have much to say about Yagudin either other than he had overcome so many injuries and injustice. The program that I like most from Yagudin is actually the SP at WC 2011. He was injured badly by that time. Just like Yuzuru at Boston.

And now, even closer to us

• Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir of Canada skating to Symphony No. 5 by Gustav Mahler, at the 2010 Olympic Games, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Another pair of athletes who require little introduction. They are the three-time World champions (2010, 2012, 2017), three-time Four Continents champions (2008, 2012, 2017), the 2016–17 Grand Prix Final champions, 2006 World Junior champions, the 2010 Olympic champions and the 2014 Olympic silver medalists. It's quite something that even after all those years (20 years together as a pair now), we still get to see them, fighting for those very same medals at yet another Olympic Games. 

About this particular skate though - when the compulsory dance finished, they were second, even if it was their personal best. They placed first in the original dance but it was this free program that pushed them over and brought them the gold medal. They received four 10.00 marks in the program components, which was something that had not been accomplished before. That wasn't the only first this program brought - they became the youngest ice dance team to win the Olympic's gold, the first former World Junior ice dance champions to win, the first Canadians, the first North Americans as well as the first team who won on home ground. They also repeated a feat that was last achieved in 1976 and that was a victory in their first Olympic Games.

6 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

They received four 10.00 marks in the program components, which was something that had not been accomplished before. That wasn't the only first this program brought - they became the youngest ice dance team to win the Olympic's gold, the first former World Junior ice dance champions to win, the first Canadians, the first North Americans as well as the first team who won on home ground. They also repeated a feat that was last achieved in 1976 and that was a victory in their first Olympic Games.

Wow! I didn't realise just how much they achieved at the Vancouver games! This must've been such a happy win. :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

Whoa!

At Vancouver, I was only paying attention to the Ladies event (there were Yuna, Mao, and Caro there, so). 

I also kinda don't know how to watch Ice Dance, tbh. After this year's world, it has started becoming more endearing to me, but I am still scared someone is going to get sliced with the skate cz the pairs dance so close to each other.

This performance, tho. They looked so in love while they skate.:tumblr_inline_n18qr7hmfk1qid2nw:

The lift at 3:50, OMG! And their SBS spins were amazing. I hadn't actually seen that V/M performance. To be honest, I'm too new to FS and last season I didn't really follow Ice Dance, aside from a couple of performances here and there and the winners at Worlds. I think I'll try to remedy that this coming season, even though I'll understand nothing of the way it's scored, which might help me appreciate it a lot more. 

To be honest I like Tessa and Scott's Pink Floyd free dance the most. But they did not bring it to the Olympic.

Btw @Yatagarasu do you remember the name of the female ex-ice dancer who commented figure skating with Robin Cousins? I am listening to BBC commentary of Yuzuru's FS at WC 2017 and suddenly I forgot her name. 

12 hours ago, yuzupon said:

This performance, tho. They looked so in love while they skate.:tumblr_inline_n18qr7hmfk1qid2nw:

They did indeed. And well, they skated to Adagietto, from Mahler's 5th. The story goes it was written for Alma Schindler, as a love letter. And it certainly worked because she ended up marrying him! So they hit the tone right.

9 hours ago, xeyra said:

The lift at 3:50, OMG! And their SBS spins were amazing. I hadn't actually seen that V/M performance. To be honest, I'm too new to FS and last season I didn't really follow Ice Dance, aside from a couple of performances here and there and the winners at Worlds. I think I'll try to remedy that this coming season, even though I'll understand nothing of the way it's scored, which might help me appreciate it a lot more. 

Ice dance in general is one of the lesser followed ones and it's not really that difficult to figure out why. But yes, there's plenty to enjoy there. Personally I just ignore the scores and enjoy the performances themselves; during the years I've found this to be the best recipe to follow ID! :laughing:

@meoima Katherine Downes is a co-presenter with Cousins on BBC but she's not a former ice-dancer, just a sports journo!

And the skating Tardis has decided to go back in time again, so it's taken us to someone really special:

• John Curry of Great Britain skating to Don Quixote, at the 1976 Olympic Games in Innsbruck, Austria.

What to say about John Curry? I guess as stories go, it is best to start at the very beginning. He was born in Birmingham, England in 1949. His father, a factory owner, spent 3 years as a prisoner of war in Poland, which led him to turn to alcoholism. When John saw Margot Fonteyn on television, at the tender age of seven he decided he wanted to be a ballet dancer but his father thought it an unsuitable pursuit for a boy and forbid it. When he then discovered figure skating by watching Wembley ice pantomimes on television, this was allowed so John Curry turned to it. His father though made repeated attempts to 'cure' his effeminacy, as well as his early skating coach. When his father died, John was 16 and we could say this set him free.

First he moved to London to be coached by Arnold Gerschwiler and later on to USA. He was coached by Carlo and Christa Fassi, and Gus Lussi.

By the time 1976 rolled in, he was at the height of his career. He would go on to become the European, Olympic and World Champion. He was also the British Champion. What was so special about John Curry was how he combined ballet and modern dance into his skating. His elegance, posture, musicality. He was a great athlete and excellent at compulsory figures, but it was these qualities of a true artist that changed skating, men's skating, of the time. This is a video of the original broadcast of the Olympic Free Program because I think it helps give us a little window into the moment when history was made.

He came out the day after he got the gold medal, yet he still won the Worlds title, unifying all three for the first time. He went on to become a professional skater, characterized by both many troubles and great success. It was a difficult life and I guess the best description I could find is that of a troubled genius. He was diagnosed with HIV in 1987, and AIDS in 1991. At one point he told actor Alan Bates - "I never wanted a long life. I just hope I have done something with it." By George, and did he! 

John Curry died on April 15th, 1994. He was 44 years old.

Alternate Link 1 - NBC

Another gem, apparently!

I counted at least 2 Ina Bauers, several spread eagles - inside and outside edges, and like the commentators couldn't stop saying, beautiful lines throughout.

He was rather slow, which I guess was normal back then, but it also gave the impression of lightness and controlled skating. The jumps were also incorporated well into the program and the music.

So sad to hear about his childhood and later life, tho...:tumblr_inline_mo6z3qKW6Y1qz4rgp:

The first skater I ever saw- sort of spoiled it for me in a way because at the time no one else blended the elements into a performance the way that he did, and he went pro as they did in those days and you didn't see him any more (no YouTube fan cams)  There were also critics who didn't think he was 'athletic' enough, too 'artistic', this is 'supposed to be a sport' - you can imagine, and being gay was a big problem and continued to be for a long time (look at Brian Orser).   It didn't take long for the gold medal euphoria to fade and the knives came out- the tabloids were horrible, and the mainstream press weren't exactly supportive.  When I think of him I always wish he had lived to see Johnny Weir dealing with the media- love him or hate him he's uncompromising in a way that was unthinkable for JCs generation because of the attitudes of the time and not possible for JC personally because he didn't have the supportive family background that breeds that resilience and self belief that enables a person to stand up to deeply prejudiced opinions and take them on.  I think he would have loved it.  

Katherine Downes is a waste of space as a sports presenter- says too much and reveals her total ignorance and lack of research. I quite like Robin Cousins as a commentator but he doesn't do his homework either - I wish he'd just talk about what's in front of him and leave out the background stuff that he hasn't actually read up on.  

Oh, he's really lovely to watch. There's a lightness to his skating and to his jumps and yes, beautiful lines as so often mention by the commentators. (Also, feels like Tatsuki Machida has been watching this program because I can see some similarities).

2 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

Katherine Downes is a waste of space as a sports presenter- says too much and reveals her total ignorance and lack of research. I quite like Robin Cousins as a commentator but he doesn't do his homework either - I wish he'd just talk about what's in front of him and leave out the background stuff that he hasn't actually read up on.  

I think they were the ones who said during the WC victory ceremony in Helsinki that Yuzuru lost to Shoma in the national championships? But yeah, I think they only do commentaries during the World Championships and the Olympics because I haven't seen any other BBC commentaries asides from those competitions. So, it would be good of them to either do research or if they couldn't be bothered then refrain from commenting on topics where they're not sure of the facts.

6 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

When I think of him I always wish he had lived to see Johnny Weir dealing with the media- love him or hate him he's uncompromising in a way that was unthinkable for JCs generation because of the attitudes of the time and not possible for JC personally because he didn't have the supportive family background that breeds that resilience and self belief that enables a person to stand up to deeply prejudiced opinions and take them on.  I think he would have loved it.  

Yes, there is no doubt Curry suffered, deeply, from all the prejudices of the time. I think he would have enjoyed Johnny indeed but I suppose it says something about slow change when Weir himself suffered a lot from the homophobia of his time. It may very well have cost him in 2010. Heck even today we have certain individuals raising questions over Radford's ability to 'project romance' because goodness, he's gay. The sport is still very far from having dealt properly with their LGBT+ athletes, and their treatment, especially considering internal pressures from those who wish to remain in the closet (I am including judges here as well). Effeminophobia, another thing that affected Curry, is still very much alive and well too.

Overall, yes, it's better but I feel like it's good to remember Curry, and all this achievements, and troubles, as it helps reminds us there is still so much work to be done.

@yuzupon yes, he was slow by today's standards but in his case, I'd say it was more by choice. He was very, very controlled in his movements, so this affected it without a doubt. But yes, his lines, the musicality, everything, it was just so lovely!

19 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

And the skating Tardis has decided to go back in time again, so it's taken us to someone really special:

• John Curry of Great Britain skating to Don Quixote, at the 1976 Olympic Games in Innsbruck, Austria.

What to say about John Curry? I guess as stories go, it is best to start at the very beginning. He was born in Birmingham, England in 1949. His father, a factory owner, spent 3 years as a prisoner of war in Poland, which led him to turn to alcoholism. When John saw Margot Fonteyn on television, at the tender age of seven he decided he wanted to be a ballet dancer but his father thought it an unsuitable pursuit for a boy and forbid it. When he then discovered figure skating by watching Wembley ice pantomimes on television, this was allowed so John Curry turned to it. His father though made repeated attempts to 'cure' his effeminacy, as well as his early skating coach. When his father died, John was 16 and we could say this set him free.

First he moved to London to be coached by Arnold Gerschwiler and later on to USA. He was coached by Carlo and Christa Fassi, and Gus Lussi.

By the time 1976 rolled in, he was at the height of his career. He would go on to become the European, Olympic and World Champion. He was also the British Champion. What was so special about John Curry was how he combined ballet and modern dance into his skating. His elegance, posture, musicality. He was a great athlete and excellent at compulsory figures, but it was these qualities of a true artist that changed skating, men's skating, of the time. This is a video of the original broadcast of the Olympic Free Program because I think it helps give us a little window into the moment when history was made.

He came out the day after he got the gold medal, yet he still won the Worlds title, unifying all three for the first time. He went on to become a professional skater, characterized by both many troubles and great success. It was a difficult life and I guess the best description I could find is that of a troubled genius. He was diagnosed with HIV in 1987, and AIDS in 1991. At one point he told actor Alan Bates - "I never wanted a long life. I just hope I have done something with it." By George, and did he! 

John Curry died on April 15th, 1994. He was 44 years old.

Alternate Link 1 - NBC

His extensions! His lines! His landings! Gorgeous. :smiley-love017:

• yuzuangel pinned and unpinned this topic