Favourite Skating Programs [Non-Yuzuru Hanyu Edition]

On 7/17/2017 at 9:09 PM, Emzie said:

I love this one, it feels unique and the amount of attention Meryl and Charlie paid to the details is amazing

This one totally won me... especially Meryl ^^

The amount of small details one can pinpoint is amazing, and each time you re-watch, something new calls your attention ^^

On 7/17/2017 at 8:46 AM, kaeryth said:

I'm the same. I don't understand the intricacies of Ice Dance so I usually go for more quirky or unique routines.

I found another link! I'm hoping this one will work. :tumblr_inline_n2pje3s3EO1qdlkyg:

The main thing about Ice Dance is closeness and synchronicity. You can tell when a good pair is skating when they get into those twizzles, because not only are they perfectly synchronized, but they've got elaborate twizzles, not just the bare minimum 'must do this many rotations to fit the requirements'. 

My favorite thing about figure skating is the artistry so Ice Dance makes it literally about 'the most beautiful artistry wins' unlike the other disciplines where someone who can do big jumps and basically the bare-bones minimum of required artistic elements can still score higher than the most perfect performance. (Obviously, not saying someone who sucks at jumping should get higher scores, that isn't the name of the game, just that it isn't what I care about the most and ice dance is basically ALL about what I like the most, so it's my favorite of the 4 disciplines.)

On 17/7/2017 at 2:09 PM, Emzie said:

I love this one, it feels unique and the amount of attention Meryl and Charlie paid to the details is amazing

I'd never seen this, because I don't actually follow Ice Dance much (though I should probably start) but I think I just fell in love. It's not just how original and amazing that was, but their deep, deep edges, especially Charlie's, on those turns, basically left me like this :13877886:

This program was sooooo amazing. Can't believe Yuna was able to move so musically and jump with so much flow at 16! I mean, that triple lutz and the triple flip triple toe were world class and would still be world class today. And the difficult ina bauer/SE transition into the axel, the ease of all of the technical elements, no wonder the BEsp people predicted she will win the Olympics! (Not in this video, but in her free skate.)

There were a couple of areas where you can see her unrefinement. Her spirals were kind of ugly. She does improve them in later years but still, she's not the most flexible of skaters. Oh, and she had a herniated disk in her spine around this time. Still, I thought her spin positions were innovative despite not being so flexible. They were aesthetically pleasing, and she uses her arms to create variety in her spins.

I just LOVE her ending position. It works so well with the music! And I love the turns she does in her step sequence to the beat. And her facial expressions. And those spins on rhythm! And the flow she gets is worth repeating about haha.

Fun fact: this was Brian Orser's first competitive program as a coach. He didn't even know how scoring worked, so when she got her score and looked happy, he said he just copied her reaction. Little did he know it was a world record!

:tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

I will post more Yuna videos later. I have 5 favorite Yuna programs and this is one of my favorites.

On 7/17/2017 at 6:09 AM, Emzie said:

I like how they had to keep repeating that everything's authentic, from the clothes to the dance to the fact that this program got so many views in India :laughing: I guess it may have been a little controversial? Anyway, it's amazing and that dress is gorgeous and they are so entertaining.

14 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I like how they had to keep repeating that everything's authentic, from the clothes to the dance to the fact that this program got so many views in India :laughing: I guess it may have been a little controversial? Anyway, it's amazing and that dress is gorgeous and they are so entertaining.

At the Vancouver games Russian Ice Dancers Domnina/Shabalindid did an "aboriginal dance" for their FS. They wore dark toned body suits with 'aboriginal paint markings'. The whole routine was just.... yikes... and was not received well (for obviously good reasons).

39 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

At the Vancouver games Russian Ice Dancers Domnina/Shabalindid did an "aboriginal dance" for their FS. They wore dark toned body suits with 'aboriginal paint markings'. The whole routine was just.... yikes... and was not received well (for obviously good reasons).

Yeah I remember that. 

I...am not sure why they thought that was a good idea. Especially since they doubled down on the choice even after the criticism.