If You Had to Choose - Oly Silver/Bronze vs. World Gold

World Gold v. Olympic medal  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It depends. Would that be a Worlds gold medal in any competition but the one in the same season as the Olympics? Because that'd make a difference. There seems to be a bit of a side-eye by some to Worlds Golds in the Worlds Championship after the Olympics because of the culled out field (not all who go to the Olympics end up participating in the corresponding Worlds). I'd love a Worlds Gold not in the Olympics season but in the Olympics season, I'd rather the Olympic medal. If that makes sense.

Interesting responses!  I guess in the thick of things, down the line you're still known as a world champion.  There isn't really an asterisk of if it's an Olympic season or not , but as a personal sense of accomplishment, that's one thing to consider. And medalists that aren't champs quite often show up at the Worlds. But then you have to consider if at the Olympics it's a situation where you lost the gold vs. won the silver/bronze. That could be more of a bitter moment whereas for Worlds, you still won it.

Olympic medal all the way if I had to choose between only these options in a skaters career. It comes once every four years so the chances to medal are a lot less, plus I think Olympic success translates better into commercial success and even exposure. I never saw Yuzu until the Olympics and I'm sure for many casual fans it's the same. 

Since in most cases, it's not a "one-hit-wonder," World gold is superior to Olympic bronze and silver.  If you're a one-hit-wonder, no one will care or remember if you got Olympic bronze or silver anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest turquoiseblue

World Gold :tumblr_inline_n2pje2TPZt1qdlkyg: I would like to experience what it feels like to stand on top of the podium :tumblr_inline_n2pje2YFXq1qdlkyg:

One of my favourite skaters Adrian Schultheiss was once asked this question (Olympic bronze or World gold) and his answer was: "Gold is always golden" :tumblr_m230oqZJaS1qfamg6: I wonder how other skaters would answer it.