I live next to Montreal and I'd say public transportation is convenient enough! You don't have to rent a car if you don't want to :)

13 minutes ago, lily said:

I live next to Montreal and I'd say public transportation is convenient enough! You don't have to rent a car if you don't want to :)

Hmm but since we will prbably have to get REALLY early there, would the public transport be enough? (I'm used to shitty public transport lol that's why I ask)

3 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Hmm but since we will prbably have to get REALLY early there, would the public transport be enough? (I'm used to shitty public transport lol that's why I ask)

Yep! For me anyway, public transport has always been reliable (although it can be a little late during rush hour but I'm assuming you'll want to go before then) :) There's a trip calculator on the official public transport site where you enter your origin and your destination and they tell you how to get there :10636614:

58 minutes ago, lily said:

Yep! For me anyway, public transport has always been reliable (although it can be a little late during rush hour but I'm assuming you'll want to go before then) :) There's a trip calculator on the official public transport site where you enter your origin and your destination and they tell you how to get there :10636614:

Hm but i'm talking about probably before dawn :P? To get good seats haha

2 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

Hm but i'm talking about probably before dawn :P? To get good seats haha

Then u might want to get a taxi or uber if super early. Actually it depends how good the seats u r expecting. Last year I went to the arena around 9am, still managed to get first row in the center block just the opposite side of jidges. Since the Montreal arena has two long sides open it was not difficult to sit in the front row. However, if u do want the front row at judge's side, u might have to get there way before the door open and be super quick once you get in. I remember in 2015 when SCAC was held in Barrie where the arena only had one side of seats, I arrived at 5am and I already got like 30 ppl ahead of me waiting at the door.

1 hour ago, Elaine said:

Then u might want to get a taxi or uber if super early. Actually it depends how good the seats u r expecting. Last year I went to the arena around 9am, still managed to get first row in the center block just the opposite side of jidges. Since the Montreal arena has two long sides open it was not difficult to sit in the front row. However, if u do want the front row at judge's side, u might have to get there way before the door open and be super quick once you get in. I remember in 2015 when SCAC was held in Barrie where the arena only had one side of seats, I arrived at 5am and I already got like 30 ppl ahead of me waiting at the door.

Haha i think i'll stick to Uber then :P

In other news...

AAAAH THIS FEELS MORE OFFICIAL NOW BC I JUST BOOKED AN AIRBNB TOO :embSwan:

Here are some tips for you all from last year:

- Sportplexe Pierrefonds is located in a mostly residential type area. There's a shopping plaza next door but in terms of restaurant choices things are fairly limited, most of its fast food style but there's a bit of variety (Tim Hortons next door, a fast food Thai place, pizza, and I think a kabob place, within walking distance). They also have reasonably priced food at the cafe at the rink but it's hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, etc. There is seating in the building to eat, but not much to see nearby. 

- There aren't any hotels within a mile walking distance. If you want to check your public transportation options google maps can probably tell you what your options are with the bus - just be sure to search a weekend day as well as the bus schedule can vary from weekdays. Some events end pretty late around 11 PM so you want to check how late your bus will run. 

- Last year I took Uber from my hotel to the Sportplexe, at the time Uber was under a pilot program to operate in Montreal and the pilot was about to end. I'm not sure what they decided to do with Uber and if it's not legal, but I was able to open the app and pretend to hail a ride to the venue just now. Beware that Uber or phone GPS may route your driver to the back of the building. 

- If you can drive, renting a car may be a good option as it will be cheaper than Uber if you're not planning to take transit. Plus it opens up your food options (I'm picky and got tired of eating Tim Horton's every other meal). Parking is free but can get limited in the lot, but you should be able to park on the street. 

- Keep in mind this is a sports center with 4 rinks, not an arena or stadium. There are a lot of families, kids, and adults that come for hockey, skating, and other activities. Seating are backless benches but it's very intimate and the view even from the last row is still very close. No assigned seating. 

- There is wifi in the building but I was never able to connect to it on my iPhone. Not sure if this was a unique problem but I know several other people who were there that also had issues. 

- There are no sweepers so no tossing gifts on ice, but they had a box outside the rink you can leave presents for skaters in. 

- I saw some banners tied up, I assume fans tied them themselves and collected them themselves at the end. 

- Last year you could reserve tickets by email (no info on this has been announced yet) or at the door. I emailed about a week before the event and had no problem getting a ticket reserved.  When you reserve tickets basically they set aside wristbands for you and put them under your name, and you pay when you pick them up. When I arrived Thursday morning there wasn't any line but I think some may have lined up early to get in and try to get a good seat. Either way, it didn't seem like they are in danger of selling out tickets. 

8 minutes ago, kiches said:

If you can drive, I renting a car may be a good option as it will be cheaper than Uber if you're not planning to take transit. Plus it opens up your food options (I'm picky and got tired of eating Tim Horton's every other meal). Parking is free but can get limited in the lot, but you should be able to park on the street. 

This sounds like a good option but i'm afraid it would be very expensive per day :sadPooh:

7 minutes ago, kiches said:

Here are some tips for you all from last year:

- Sportplexe Pierrefonds is located in a mostly residential type area. There's a shopping plaza next door but in terms of restaurant choices things are fairly limited, most of its fast food style but there's a bit of variety (Tim Hortons next door, a fast food Thai place, pizza, and I think a kabob place, within walking distance). They also have reasonably priced food at the cafe at the rink but it's hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, etc. There is seating in the building to eat, but not much to see nearby. 

- There aren't any hotels within a mile walking distance. If you want to check your public transportation options google maps can probably tell you what your options are with the bus - just be sure to search a weekend day as well as the bus schedule can vary from weekdays. Some events end pretty late around 11 PM so you want to check how late your bus will run. 

- Last year I took Uber from my hotel to the Sportplexe, at the time Uber was under a pilot program to operate in Montreal and the pilot was about to end. I'm not sure what they decided to do with Uber and if it's not legal, but I was able to open the app and pretend to hail a ride to the venue just now. Beware that Uber or phone GPS may route your driver to the back of the building. 

- If you can drive, I renting a car may be a good option as it will be cheaper than Uber if you're not planning to take transit. Plus it opens up your food options (I'm picky and got tired of eating Tim Horton's every other meal). Parking is free but can get limited in the lot, but you should be able to park on the street. 

- Keep in mind this is a sports center with 4 rinks, not an arena or stadium. There are a lot of families, kids, and adults that come for hockey, skating, and other activities. Seating are backless benches but it's very intimate and the view even from the last row is still very close. No assigned seating. 

- There is wifi in the building but I was never able to connect to it on my iPhone. Not sure if this was a unique problem but I know several other people who were there that also had issues. 

- There are no sweepers so no tossing gifts on ice, but they had a box outside the rink you can leave presents for skaters in. 

- I saw some banners tied up, I assume fans tied them themselves and collected them themselves at the end. 

- Last year you could reserve tickets by email (no info on this has been announced yet) or at the door. I emailed about a week before the event and had no problem getting a ticket reserved.  When you reserve tickets basically they set aside wristbands for you and put them under your name, and you pay when you pick them up. When I arrived Thursday morning there wasn't any line but I think some may have lined up early to get in and try to get a good seat. Either way, it didn't seem like they are in danger of selling out tickets. 

:thankyou: thank you so much this is super helpful. if anyone's living around my airbnb maybe we can get an uber together and save money. My airbnb is on Rue Lakeview.

26 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

This sounds like a good option but i'm afraid it would be very expensive per day :sadPooh:

It depends how far your accommodations are and if you plan to stay at the rink all day. Buses of course will be cheapest. I think my Uber rides ranged from $11-15 USD one way and my hotel was about 5 miles away. With a ride both ways you can end up spending $22-30 a day on Uber if you only stay at the rink - you can definitely find car rentals for that much a day or less. Of course, splitting an Uber or taxi can help cut the cost down. This part of Montreal is pretty quiet and uneventful so for those looking to sightsee you won't find much in this general area. 

I would say to do some research as you have a lot of time right now. You don't need a car, but for those who want a bit more freedom to leave the rink and come back renting a car would be my recommendation as I think the cost would be approximately the same. You can easily find yourself at the rink for 12-15 hours if you go to first practice all the way to the final competition of the day, it's easy to get tired after a couple of days of this so make sure to take breaks when you can.  

On 2017/6/24 at 7:56 AM, Elaine said:

It is really up to ur own schedule. Normally Wednessday's OP is not open to public and men's first public OP is in the afteenoon of Thursday.  This year's schedule is not out yet. I plan to arrive on Thursday's morning:POOH:

Do you know when will the Men's free skate competition ends? Will it in the afternoon or in the evening? My flight back to China suppose to take off at 18:00 so I have to reach the airport before 16:00, 23rd. But if the free skating ends in the evening I am afraid I have to stay in Montreal one more day.

Okay, if they allow us to reserve tickets then I'm going to join you guys. Screw it, HR just emailed me to remind me of all the paid holidays I still have, and how I'll break the company record etc etc, I think 1 week off won't kill people, plus I can work at night worse case scenario. *sigh...Yuzuru, seriously, I've never considered flying halfway around the globe to see a skating competition before, what are you making me do?!

32 minutes ago, supphear said:

Do you know when will the Men's free skate competition ends? Will it in the afternoon or in the evening? My flight back to China suppose to take off at 18:00 so I have to reach the airport before 16:00, 23rd. But if the free skating ends in the evening I am afraid I have to stay in Montreal one more day.

The schedule for this year's ACI hasn't been released yet but for last year and the year before, men's free skate was in the evening! I'd assume they'll follow the same schedule for this year. You can see the schedule for last year here.

6 minutes ago, Xen said:

Okay, if they allow us to reserve tickets then I'm going to join you guys. Screw it, HR just emailed me to remind me of all the paid holidays I still have, and how I'll break the company record etc etc, I think 1 week off won't kill people, plus I can work at night worse case scenario. *sigh...Yuzuru, seriously, I've never considered flying halfway around the globe to see a skating competition before, what are you making me do?!

Too many vacation days? I wish I had your problem :laughing: (seriously though, once you start following yuzu around the world, you won't have any left...:cry:)