13 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

I’m not much of a fan of roller skating though... soooo heavy and am I the only one who can’t spin in them??

That's exactly how I feel 😅 they're much heavier, and simple things like 3turns are so much more laborious bc of the added friction, and nope I absolutely can't spin on them (but I think that's because my "toe pick" isn't low enough on the skate). Oh and they wear down super fast and the toe picks need to be replaced often?

But I think I'm starting to get the hang of it so I've just been practicing turns and the easier jumps...

16 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

That's exactly how I feel 😅 they're much heavier, and simple things like 3turns are so much more laborious bc of the added friction, and nope I absolutely can't spin on them (but I think that's because my "toe pick" isn't low enough on the skate). Oh and they wear down super fast and the toe picks need to be replaced often?

But I think I'm starting to get the hang of it so I've just been practicing turns and the easier jumps...

Hmm, what frames are you using? (I’m using Pic frames)

The ice is still so much better but roller skates are useful to have for practising steps when we can’t travel to the rink I guess! 
I wonder if Yuzu got himself a pair...

20 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Hmm, what frames are you using? (I’m using Pic frames)

The ice is still so much better but roller skates are useful to have for practising steps when we can’t travel to the rink I guess! 
I wonder if Yuzu got himself a pair...

Haha I can't imagine him roller skating for some reason... 😂

I'm also using pic frames, the ones with 4 wheels. The wheels are solid rubber and SO heavy compared to skates.

I find that things are just *harder* on roller skates which I guess is good for training? You can get away with so much on the ice because it's so ~smooth~ (for example, you can prerotate a ton on your jumps, but you just can't do that on the pavement, wherever you plant your toe pick, there's nowhere to go but up). You can't get away with stuff like that on the ice which I guess helps you pinpoint and fix your weaknesses a bit. Also not being fully over your skate just causes your wheels to slip out from under you but on the ice you have edges which are actually quite powerful, I miss them so much haha

14 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Haha I can't imagine him roller skating for some reason... 😂

I'm also using pic frames, the ones with 4 wheels. The wheels are solid rubber and SO heavy compared to skates.

I find that things are just *harder* on roller skates which I guess is good for training? You can get away with so much on the ice because it's so ~smooth~ (for example, you can prerotate a ton on your jumps, but you just can't do that on the pavement, wherever you plant your toe pick, there's nowhere to go but up). You can't get away with stuff like that on the ice which I guess helps you pinpoint and fix your weaknesses a bit. Also not being fully over your skate just causes your wheels to slip out from under you but on the ice you have edges which are actually quite powerful, I miss them so much haha

I know what you mean, I can't pinpoint why but I find it hard to imagine Yuzu on roller skates too XD But considering so many skaters have been trying it out I think it's quite likely he might have... Unless for such high-level skaters it might mess up their ice technique?

And yes I agree that for jumps especially it would help! I think getting used to jumping with such heavy weights on our feet will probably make ice skates feel weightless when we are back on the ice so hopefully it'll make our jumps higher! Although I find it VERY frightening to attempt to axel on them (I still can't do it on the ice so maybe that's why)

Also falling on concrete is so much more painful than falling on ice T_T

I spent the last week away visiting my parents and chilling by the beach in the next city south and there just so happened to be an ice rink there (like 1/3 the size of a regular rink lol) and it was open! I didn't have my skates with me and the ice was so thin that I could feel the foundations in some spots by the boards with my fingers, but I finally got to go skating again. There were only four people on the ice! It was so nice to go for a skate and to basically have the ice to myself but man rental skates are the worst. They weren't even the lace-up ones but those ones with the buckles and who knows when they were last sharpened. I'm not even sure how the ice gets resurfaced there - it looked like it had about a week's worth of skating since it was last done and the only equipment I saw was like a scraper with a broom handle. Makes me think they resurface by hand. 

I'm so excited for the rink close by where I live to open next weekend. You have to book online for the session to keep numbers low, but at least it means the ice won't be crowded so it'll be great for getting back into it.