Skating on the Planet

On 5/10/2019 at 5:40 PM, yuzuangel said:

my coach likes nathan more than yuzu and i? kind of want to switch coaches?

This is why I never ask my coach who she likes among skaters, though I have an odd feeling at least for Jumps she likes Yuzu, since "Hanyu never does this" gets mentioned enough times.  =P

Curious, has anyone ever used the new Jackson Ultimate Legacy 7 or Legacy 8 blades? Supposedly they are 30% lighter than the MK and Wilson equivalents.

I'm thiiiiis close to being able to do backwards crossrolls. I'll probably have them down by the end of the week. My forward ones have gotten a lot better too, although they're still kind of asymmetrical because my rfo still low key sucks for some reason (not sure the techs 100% fixed my blade alignment issue tbh). but anyway Seimei choreo here I coooome

My coach finally taught me two foot spins. I suck at them haha. My weight is largely supposed to be over my left foot, right? I feel like I'm putting my weight on my right.

I've actually progressed a lot in the past couple of weeks (after a month of slowish progress cuz of limited ice time and irregular lessons), but my persistent inability to even try an inside 3 turn off the wall is bringing me down. :13877886: It's some kind of psychological block. Maybe if I just do other stuff for a while it'll go away. Just have to think about how much better my backwards edges have gotten instead of how I still can't do this nightmare element. I can hold back outside edges for a very long time, do a baby backward one foot slalom, and my backward inside edges are also improving quickly. who cares about inside 3 turns :8:

• 4 weeks later...

My coach finally taught me the waltz jump! He seemed impressed with my fearlessness attempting real jumps for the first time. Then he made me do it from a back outside mohawk entrance, which definitely made it harder :13877886:Now if I could only translate that fearlessness to inside 3 turns.

On 5/13/2019 at 1:30 AM, Xen said:

Curious, has anyone ever used the new Jackson Ultimate Legacy 7 or Legacy 8 blades? Supposedly they are 30% lighter than the MK and Wilson equivalents.

No, but I heard revolution blades are lighter than normal blades (and I think feeling them, they are?) but while skating you really don't feel it at all, lol. Unless you're doing quads probably? Or triples.

5 hours ago, shanshani said:

My coach finally taught me the waltz jump! He seemed impressed with my fearlessness attempting real jumps for the first time. Then he made me do it from a back outside mohawk entrance, which definitely made it harder :13877886:Now if I could only translate that fearlessness to inside 3 turns.

That's cool! What do you mean back outside mohawk? Like turning from a right back outside edge to a left forward outside edge and then jumping?

42 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

That's cool! What do you mean back outside mohawk? Like turning from a right back outside edge to a left forward outside edge and then jumping?

Yeah, is it not called that when you step RBO to LFO? *googles* huh apparently there's some discrepancy in terminology and “mohawk” and “choctaw” officially only applies if the feet cross? Didn't know that, I thought it was just a description of which edges were involved in the step. Uh oh, I don't know if my forward inside open mohawks really fit that description. Looks like I have to practice those more too :13877886:

9 minutes ago, shanshani said:

Yeah, is it not called that when you step RBO to LFO? *googles* huh apparently there's some discrepancy in terminology. Confusing. 

Oh, I think it is, but I think I've just not heard it called that haha. I think we just call it a step from backwards to forwards..

8 hours ago, axelnojutsu said:

I miss skating :2023:

48 more days until summer break is over

oof, there are no year round rinks around you? :59227c768286a__s:  I want summer to be over soon too. because of my summer work schedule, I can only skate during crowded sessions now. It makes everything a billion times scarier and makes practice a lot less efficient. But at least I can still practice :sad4:

1 hour ago, shanshani said:

oof, there are no year round rinks around you? :59227c768286a__s:  I want summer to be over soon too. because of my summer work schedule, I can only skate during crowded sessions now. It makes everything a billion times scarier and makes practice a lot less efficient. But at least I can still practice :sad4:

There is a rink technically but it’s reserved for hockey classes and like skaters that actually do competitions and stuff, us “casuals” don’t even start skating lessons again until November..

So it’s public skating August to November and nada in June and July