Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Xen said:

Well a couple of us are skating this week right? So let's see when we get there. =D

True! I'm so excited. Ngl with Yuzu gone this might be what I'm looking forward to the most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shanshani said:

I feel like I need to be less reckless, especially since I'm still a skating noob. Bruised my tailbone the other day falling at speed. Owww

 

Also, I somehow forgot that I'm really bad at learning movements with multiple parts. So my chasse attempts have largely been something like 1. Push 2. Feet together 3. Uhhhhhhh what's the next step again? oh no now I've lost momentum and have to start over :13877886:

 

I wonder if I also have pronation issues. I can get on outside edges okay at this point, and my right outside edge especially seems pretty stable, but it was a struggle to learn and I still have a tendency to fall inside at the slightest loss of concentration. Gliding on a flat and having it remain flat is...hard, and while changing from outside to inside edge on a one foot glide is ezpz, I haven't figured out how to go the other way around.

 

My coach decided I needed to have better edge control/stability before he would teach me crossovers :sadPooh: I was watching Yuzu's Olympic practice vid set to Muse where he's just doing edgework for most of it and I'm sooo jealous. I know I'll never jump triples or quads, but I don't care about that (well, I do want to jump up to at least a single axel at some point, fingers crossed), I just want to do basic skating half as beautifully.

 

I think having nice edgework is definitely possible for adults if you work hard, get coaching, spend time at it, etc....it's not like jumps where you need to literally rewire your self-preservation instincts which are one of your strongest instincts... but I imagine doing basic skating half as beautifully as Yuzu is gonna be near impossible for anyone even other top competitive figure skaters :laughing:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a forward crossover! Yaaay! Thanks @Xen for the advice on the half swizzles on a circle--I think that helped 

 

Snowplow stops are finally coming along, thank god. Not sure how I was doing them when I first started out--probably super soft ice + blunt blade. I think skating on the hard ice in Vancouver helped. Though it took like half an hour to get used to the ice at my home rink again. 

 

Also, apparently I started on Oct 22, according to this thread. So it hasn't even been 2 months! Considering my unathletic, out of shape self, I'm happy with my progress haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shanshani said:

I did a forward crossover! Yaaay! Thanks @Xen for the advice on the half swizzles on a circle--I think that helped 

 

Snowplow stops are finally coming along, thank god. Not sure how I was doing them when I first started out--probably super soft ice + blunt blade. I think skating on the hard ice in Vancouver helped. Though it took like half an hour to get used to the ice at my home rink again. 

 

Also, apparently I started on Oct 22, according to this thread. So it hasn't even been 2 months! Considering my unathletic, out of shape self, I'm happy with my progress haha

Good to hear it helped.

The same theory applies to back crossovers- but easier because you don't need to lift your foot when crossing over for a standard back crossover.

The half swizzles is really just to get you used to leaning into the circle/edge for the cross over. Once you're comfortable with it and can hold that edge okay, the crossing over bit is pretty managable. =)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2018 at 5:07 PM, yuzuangel said:

.it's not like jumps where you need to literally rewire your self-preservation instincts which are one of your strongest instincts...

 

Ah, so that's why I prefer jumps to anything else and they're actually the thing that I learn the fastest... I have no self-preservation instincts whatsoever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally managed somewhat decent backwards cross rolls :dancingpooh:

of course, whenever I try to do cross rolls Seimei plays in my head so thank you, Zu :68468287:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

I finally managed somewhat decent backwards cross rolls :dancingpooh:

of course, whenever I try to do cross rolls Seimei plays in my head so thank you, Zu :68468287:

when I learn cross rolls I'm just going to practice them by pretending to be Yuzu

 

'Shanshani why do you only ever do cross rolls at one speed and tempo and why do you always have the same expression on your face'

 

me: uhhhh *Seimei plays in head over and over again*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to buy new boots as a Christmas gift to myself. I want them to last for at least two seasons and the objective for next year is to master Lutz and Axel. I haven't tried any boots yet, my old ones are for single jumps but they are not rigid enough. Should I go for double jumps level boots? I have Edea, Graf and Risport available in my area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Floria said:

I am going to buy new boots as a Christmas gift to myself. I want them to last for at least two seasons and the objective for next year is to master Lutz and Axel. I haven't tried any boots yet, my old ones are for single jumps but they are not rigid enough. Should I go for double jumps level boots? I have Edea, Graf and Risport available in my area. 

What boots do you have now? What jumps do you do in them? Usually boots that are rated for single jumps are actually probably too soft for even those >_>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hace 31 minutos , yuzuangel said:

What boots do you have now? What jumps do you do in them? Usually boots that are rated for single jumps are actually probably too soft for even those >_>

I have Wifa Prima Hobby, this is a beginners level actually (up to first single jumps). I can do toe loop and salchow ok, flip and loop with too-footed landing and half Lutz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Floria said:

I am going to buy new boots as a Christmas gift to myself. I want them to last for at least two seasons and the objective for next year is to master Lutz and Axel. I haven't tried any boots yet, my old ones are for single jumps but they are not rigid enough. Should I go for double jumps level boots? I have Edea, Graf and Risport available in my area. 

 

As an adult I think you can safely go up a few levels! and probably should. The recommendations are usually for kids who weigh less and thus have a harder time breaking boots in but also wearing them out. My Jackson Artistes were done after 2 months (but I kept on skating in them) and I know someone who broke down Edea Overtures in 3 weeks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, robin said:

 

As an adult I think you can safely go up a few levels! and probably should. The recommendations are usually for kids who weigh less and thus have a harder time breaking boots in but also wearing them out. My Jackson Artistes were done after 2 months (but I kept on skating in them) and I know someone who broke down Edea Overtures in 3 weeks...

 

11 hours ago, Floria said:

I have Wifa Prima Hobby, this is a beginners level actually (up to first single jumps). I can do toe loop and salchow ok, flip and loop with too-footed landing and half Lutz. 

 

yeah my boots (risport royals, the older version) are rated for quads asdjklf; not sure if this is good advice to overboot this much but they work super well for me i think :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, have any of you tried parabolic blades? I mean is there any difference with classic ones? I want to try them someday (for obvious reason lol).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Floria said:

Also, have any of you tried parabolic blades? I mean is there any difference with classic ones? I want to try them someday (for obvious reason lol).

I have them. there isn't much of a difference, but I heard doing catchfoots would be harder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have tips for not tipping forward while doing backwards swizzles? I don't have problems with tripping or anything like that and I can build momentum just fine as long as I'm not being a scaredycat, but when I do backwards swizzles my toe picks wind up scraping the ice a lot, which I'm pretty sure isn't correct form. Maybe I just need to shift my weight back or something, but I tried that and I still find myself rocking forwards by accident. (Also I really need to develop the ability to skate backwards using things besides swizzles. Too bad my classes are suspended until after the holiday, urgh.)

 

But in good news, I now have forward crossovers in both directions, yay! I need to fix my upper body and also be more controlled instead of half-falling on my inside edge most of the time, but I can do them. They do really help you accelerate, wow. I fell on one because I wasn't expecting the speed boost :13877886:



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...