Skating on the Planet

10 hours ago, guitarist said:

I really want to start skating, but I don't have anyone to go with... Is there anyone in NYC that'd be interested in going to the Chelsea Piers rink every once in a while? (Weekends, since I usually work 8-6)

I'm not in NYC often but I used to go to Chelsea Piers a lot. Would love with you next time I"m there! :laughing:

On 20/7/2017 at 10:29 PM, yuzuangel said:

Speaking of laybacks, what exercises do you do to get that back flexibility? I can bend over backwards so that my back is about parallel to the ground by I can't lift up my free leg anywhere close to where traditional laybacks require.

I am nowhere near doing layback spins (or even normal spins lol) on ice, but I am training my back and legs and hips flexibility for some months now. Actually, there are some nice yoga positions that help you to lift up your leg, that I've been doing on a daily basis. The specific one I'm referring to is called the "standing bow". Yesterday, I even tried to grab my foot with both my hands, but I could only barely touch it with the opposite hand. I am very determined to do some nice layback spins in the distant future :laughing: 

Anyways, I'm just an amateur doing random exercises that seem to help. 

On 10/7/2017 at 20:22, yuzuangel said:

toe loop entry: left outside edge 3 turn + step + toe tap. i think i'm getting the hang of it now. your upper body REALLY needs to be completely in conjunction with your hips, otherwise the timing is really off. i've been having a problem where my right arm is not coming forward at the right time so my shoulder is left behind. this may be the cause of a problem i've been having in the last couple of weeks where my left boot (i turn CCW as most people do) would turn on the ice making a mirror-image J shape on the ice towards my toe tap before i lift off; it's supposed to be as straight as possible. Doing backwards pivots helped a little bit with that.

sit spin: well at first I thought that the entry (wind up / CW backwards crossovers entry) was different for that than the scratch spin (which I honestly still really can't do). but i learned that it was in fact the same entry and ONLY after the 3-turn do you get into "position" and this really helped. it's not so hard to go kinda low (still not completely butt parallel to the ice yet), because the force pulling on you while you're spinning helps. but keeping my free leg straight is my next big big challenge.

re. new boots: have you had them heat-molded?

Now we have our Yuzu to learn toe loops

He did both 4T in 24 TV from left outside 3-turn.

1 hour ago, Floria said:

Omg a single toe loop!!! It's so beautiful:665e343793b9:

The 1T looks like a right mohawk entry but I did recall the 4Ts being left 3-turn entries. And also you can see the way he turns out his left hip so much his tap is on an outside "edge." Thanks zuzu:tumblr_inline_nhkezmeBaq1qid2nw:

20 hours ago, Floria said:

I have this one saved as reference. Recently my toe loops have gone wonky (but my loops are behaving a bit better). He's working so hard to contain himself from going full on 4T. 

5 hours ago, Xen said:

I have this one saved as reference. Recently my toe loops have gone wonky (but my loops are behaving a bit better). He's working so hard to contain himself from going full on 4T. 

I practiced the toe loop today with this as reference/in my head. The way his upper body and shoulders move exactly in line with his hips gives him perfect control in and out of the jump. Sometimes my upper body rotates late and I get twisted in the air and on landing = bad landings or over-rotated landings. But when I tried to move my shoulders earlier and keep them in line with my hips, it helped a lot.

The thing I still can't quite figure out is how do you land with delicacy. I do a single turn off-ice and I feel a damn whale, I'm not even kidding. And I doubt the feeling will go away on the ice. What does the landing depend on? 

Of course, the weight plays a big deal... I guess I could lose a couple of kgs to help myself, but I'm not overweight. Is it about the knees? I do bend them, but then I see myself landing too forward with my upper body and it's not really pretty. 

Also, how do you practice spinning faster? I'm barely doing one full rotation (off-ice). 

Eeek, I can't wait to have a teacher for this... I feel like I'm not going anywhere, watching videos on youtube and training jumps off-ice. 

1 hour ago, Murieleirum said:

The thing I still can't quite figure out is how do you land with delicacy. I do a single turn off-ice and I feel a damn whale, I'm not even kidding. And I doubt the feeling will go away on the ice. What does the landing depend on? 

Of course, the weight plays a big deal... I guess I could lose a couple of kgs to help myself, but I'm not overweight. Is it about the knees? I do bend them, but then I see myself landing too forward with my upper body and it's not really pretty. 

Also, how do you practice spinning faster? I'm barely doing one full rotation (off-ice). 

Eeek, I can't wait to have a teacher for this... I feel like I'm not going anywhere, watching videos on youtube and training jumps off-ice. 

Do you do any of this on the ice at all?

If you land with flow then it helps a lot -- something to do with physics, like a bicycle that's moving fast won't fall over but if it's stationary it will fall over. 

And are you using a spinner or something? Or just turning on your foot? haha

9 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Do you do any of this on the ice at all?

If you land with flow then it helps a lot -- something to do with physics, like a bicycle that's moving fast won't fall over but if it's stationary it will fall over. 

And are you using a spinner or something? Or just turning on your foot? haha

I'm still not skillfull enough on Ice, and I've been on hold for these three months of Summer. But I want to start a course in September, and If I commit myself enough, I hope I'll be able to start practicing some Waltz and Single Toe-loops before the end of next year (June 2018). Yes, it's true that on Ice you have a flow and off-ice you do not. I don't have a spinner hehe, I'm just doing stuff like this 

2 hours ago, axelnojutsu said:

So the last time I was on the ice was kind of a disaster but today went really well and I like to think the streaming party right before going skating helped :space:

haha that's usually how it goes :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw: 

some days everything could just be going great, and other days (sometimes the next day) nothing works. i think skating requires such precision that if you're just a little bit off, everything gets thrown off. and it's important to not do it wrong too many times because you don't want your muscle memory to remember doing it badly, kwim. 

lol i think whenever im trying to do something new, i always stop doing it when i do the best so i can remember what the feels like for next time....because i know that if i keep doing it it will just get worse as i get tired...

12 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

haha that's usually how it goes :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw: 

some days everything could just be going great, and other days (sometimes the next day) nothing works. i think skating requires such precision that if you're just a little bit off, everything gets thrown off. and it's important to not do it wrong too many times because you don't want your muscle memory to remember doing it badly, kwim. 

lol i think whenever im trying to do something new, i always stop doing it when i do the best so i can remember what the feels like for next time....because i know that if i keep doing it it will just get worse as i get tired...

I mean I am barely at any level to be doing "things" I mostly just try not to fall on my butt when I go around the rink :embSwan: 
Tried backwards swizzles today and didn't fall or crash into anyone though, so I'll count it as a win :laughing:

On 3/9/2017 at 17:40, axelnojutsu said:

So the last time I was on the ice was kind of a disaster but today went really well and I like to think the streaming party right before going skating helped :space:

If I watch some skating videos (preferably Yuzu) next day I skate better. Probably it is just a coincidence but I prefer to call it 'image training' :laughing:

Btw have you ever tried an off-ice spinner? I have read different opinions but I am still considering buying it.

I hadn't noticed Yuzu had it until I saw these photos

1 hour ago, Floria said:

If I watch some skating videos (preferably Yuzu) next day I skate better. Probably it is just a coincidence but I prefer to call it 'image training' :laughing:

Btw have you ever tried an off-ice spinner? I have read different opinions but I am still considering buying it.

I hadn't noticed Yuzu had it until I saw these photos

wow you're right! i didn't think he did off-ice spin training, just like i can't see him using a harness for jumping.