Skating on the Planet

On 7/4/2017 at 11:24 PM, Xen said:

Yes, we usually did practice shoot the ducks as part of sit spin prep work.  What entry are you doing for the toe-loop? The right forward 3 turn directly into the toe tap, or the left forward shift to right back outside and then toe tap? The former I find easier, the latter has a wonky timing- my upper body refuses to time its twists with the leg.

I just got my new boots- apparently my old boots were 2 sizes too large. Now the new ones are chewing on my toes. Anyone have suggestions on how to get the toe tip to not hurt/kill you during the break-in process?

toe loop entry: left outside edge 3 turn + step + toe tap. i think i'm getting the hang of it now. your upper body REALLY needs to be completely in conjunction with your hips, otherwise the timing is really off. i've been having a problem where my right arm is not coming forward at the right time so my shoulder is left behind. this may be the cause of a problem i've been having in the last couple of weeks where my left boot (i turn CCW as most people do) would turn on the ice making a mirror-image J shape on the ice towards my toe tap before i lift off; it's supposed to be as straight as possible. Doing backwards pivots helped a little bit with that.

sit spin: well at first I thought that the entry (wind up / CW backwards crossovers entry) was different for that than the scratch spin (which I honestly still really can't do). but i learned that it was in fact the same entry and ONLY after the 3-turn do you get into "position" and this really helped. it's not so hard to go kinda low (still not completely butt parallel to the ice yet), because the force pulling on you while you're spinning helps. but keeping my free leg straight is my next big big challenge.

re. new boots: have you had them heat-molded?

I'm thinking about starting lessons this winter and I'm totally intimidated because I haven't skated since I was 10 and even then it was only a couple times at christmas markets :13877886:
I've been wanting to do it for while now though, don't have any high expectations either (except not falling on my butt every 5 seconds :10814716:)

@yuzuangel

toe loops: I'm not sure if I understood your problem with your left foot and J-shape correctly but here are some tips (sorry if this wasn't your problem):

1. Have you tried any different entry? For example, for me it's much easier doing them from right inside 3turn. 
2. If you do the right inside 3turn entry, you don't need to do that extra step which you do after the left outside 3turn (and which probably messes your timing?) and therefore you can focus on position of your left foot even before and throughout the inside 3turn and have better control.
3. When you hit the ice with your left toepick it's important to place it straight in line with the right foot. If you cross it too much to the right, it will twist your body.
4. And also your left toe should be turned out and not turned in.

sit spin:

1. You can also experiment with different entries: for example, right inside 3turn - left outside 3turn. (sorry, I know I'm talking too much about inside 3turns but I really love them :biggrin:) My observation: it's a bit more difficult than back crossovers but I can spin faster.

2.I had the same problem with keeping my free leg straight and my coach advised me to hold my ankle with my hands. It also helped me to get lower and feel better (in terms of balance).
3. And good old-fashioned shoot the ducks help, too. 

@axelnojutsu Don't worry! Just go for it! It's fun. :figure-skating-smiley:

On 7/11/2017 at 2:22 AM, yuzuangel said:

re. new boots: have you had them heat-molded?

I did, I think the issue is the toe-box area height for the right foot, with the tongue pressing down hard on my toenail. Making it a bit painful when landing jumps.

On 7/11/2017 at 4:05 AM, axelnojutsu said:

I'm thinking about starting lessons this winter and I'm totally intimidated because I haven't skated since I was 10 and even then it was only a couple times at christmas markets :13877886:
I've been wanting to do it for while now though, don't have any high expectations either (except not falling on my butt every 5 seconds :10814716:)

Just do it! Are you under the USFSA learn to skate system or a different system for beginner classes?

5 hours ago, Xen said:

Just do it! Are you under the USFSA learn to skate system or a different system for beginner classes?

I would assume not (I live in Germany), or is it like an internationally recognized "How To Teach Skating" type of thing? :tumblr_inline_mg16ex9KwE1qdlkyg:

3 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

I would assume not (I live in Germany), or is it like an internationally recognized "How To Teach Skating" type of thing? :tumblr_inline_mg16ex9KwE1qdlkyg:

Nope, that's a system I wouldn't know anything of. Sorry. T_T I guess internationally the closest is ISI, but not sure if that's used in Europe.

Doing a new spin position is super fun, and not as hard as you'd think (as long as it's not a layback...I tried spinning while looking at the ceiling and oh my god it's disorienting). I thought it would be like learning an upright spin all over again, which took what, a year? But my left thigh and calf muscles are KILLING me OMG I feel they're about to split. :laughing:

Keeping my free leg straight and turned out is still the main challenge, but I'm getting low enough in my sit that it's easy to hit a center now. And it looks like a sit spin. Can still go 2-3 inches lower though :smiley-happy085: And gotta arch that back.

6 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Doing a new spin position is super fun, and not as hard as you'd think (as long as it's not a layback...I tried spinning while looking at the ceiling and oh my god it's disorienting). I thought it would be like learning an upright spin all over again, which took what, a year? But my left thigh and calf muscles are KILLING me OMG I feel they're about to split. :laughing:

Keeping my free leg straight and turned out is still the main challenge, but I'm getting low enough in my sit that it's easy to hit a center now. And it looks like a sit spin. Can still go 2-3 inches lower though :smiley-happy085: And gotta arch that back.

Congrats! And yay, another person who has seen the light of sitspins (that going lower is easier to center)! And congrats on trying the layback! I still can't center an attitude spin yet....T_T

My skating shoes ended up being 1 size too small, so I have to mail them back to Beijing...but otherwise, I got my hydroblade!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2017 at 10:05 PM, axelnojutsu said:

I am about as terrible as I expected but I bought a pair of skates and it just makes me ridiculously happy :10636614::7938863:

So glad I'm (finally) doing this :tumblr_inline_mfy92hO4sm1qid2nw: