Skating on the Planet

This weekend my rink public skate was an hour longer. I totally overdid it. I always fail at the Salchow because it freaks me out, so I forced myself to do 20 in a row. Result: I ended up exhausted, and my left ankle was a bit swollen by the time I left. :facepalm: I need to learn moderation... 

On the plus side, I'm finally improving my outside spread eagle. My body is still not straight, but it's much better now, and at least my knees are straight. One of the coaches complimented it :tumblr_inline_mzx8zzarLt1r8msi5:

Ina Bauers are still a big Nope, though...

@Murieleirum that's kinda scary! :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid: Are your boots rated for all singles?

4 hours ago, LeadenMyr said:

Hi all, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, do you know if skating with inline skates is any good resembling ice skating? I really wanna take it up but ice time and classes are expensive as hell and I wanna get fit before actually trying to sign up to a class and destroy my knees because I'm fat :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:so I was thinking of starting with inline skating and maybe try to do something resembling ice skating training but I'm not sure if it's doable? 

I don't even know what I'm asking, probably something like is it possible to train "ice skating" out of the ice using inline skates? Sorry if it doesn't make any sense :13877886:

I think inline skating in general is no bad idea bc while it is different it will help you train the right muscles and balance etc. It will probably not prepare you for what ice feels like, tho. 

There are specific wheel set ups for ice skaters like snowwhites and picskates but those aren’t cheap either. I never tried those myself tho. Since the rinks around here close in the summer I am considering it.. but @yuzuangel has a pair, maybe she can tell you about her experience. 

3 hours ago, guitarist said:

@Murieleirum that's kinda scary! :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid: Are your boots rated for all singles?

Just about. But my coach said they were not tied enough. I have some troubles with foot pain so that's also why I am wary about tieying them properly, but if this is the result, I'll just endure the pain xD 

8 hours ago, LeadenMyr said:

Hi all, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, do you know if skating with inline skates is any good resembling ice skating? I really wanna take it up but ice time and classes are expensive as hell and I wanna get fit before actually trying to sign up to a class and destroy my knees because I'm fat :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:so I was thinking of starting with inline skating and maybe try to do something resembling ice skating training but I'm not sure if it's doable? 

I don't even know what I'm asking, probably something like is it possible to train "ice skating" out of the ice using inline skates? Sorry if it doesn't make any sense :13877886:

Yeah like @robin said you can start with pic skates or snow whites and mount them on old ice skates! they're not cheap though, it's basically the same as buying a figure skating set. but at least the rink time is cheaper. i think pic skate blades start at around $200. 

they're very different though. but i think they are similar enough that you're not falling on your face when you switch from figure skates to inline skates and vice versa, which reportedly happens if you just use regular inlines. 

also pic skates to me are harder to use than regular inlines (back when i used them before i started figure skating). the toe pick is higher, and they're taller and more glidey, which makes sense as they try to mimic figure skates?

when i first tried pic skates i found that they were terrifying and i could barely control them. stopping is very different and the rocker is very different. but after a few hours i got the hang out of it better and could start doing crossovers, mohawks, skating backwards, etc.

spins and jumps felt impossible so i haven't even tried. just doing anything that requires scraping the ice or turning on your rocker like hockey stops, snowplow stops, and choctaws seem impossible (but i'm sure it's actually not because people in pic skate videos do it). it's kind of hard to describe, but one major difference is that there is way more resistance. 

if you're going to go from inlines -> figure skates your issues will probably be quite different from mine :20111123175531c17:

THAT BEING SAID if you can't get ice time, i highly recommend trying it, a lot of the moves (like crossovers) are pretty much the same, and a lot of the muscles you will build are the same. and it's fun in the same way! 

5 hours ago, robin said:

I think inline skating in general is no bad idea bc while it is different it will help you train the right muscles and balance etc. It will probably not prepare you for what ice feels like, tho. 

There are specific wheel set ups for ice skaters like snowwhites and picskates but those aren’t cheap either. I never tried those myself tho. Since the rinks around here close in the summer I am considering it.. but @yuzuangel has a pair, maybe she can tell you about her experience. 

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

Yeah like @robin said you can start with pic skates or snow whites and mount them on old ice skates! they're not cheap though, it's basically the same as buying a figure skating set. but at least the rink time is cheaper. i think pic skate blades start at around $200. 

they're very different though. but i think they are similar enough that you're not falling on your face when you switch from figure skates to inline skates and vice versa, which reportedly happens if you just use regular inlines. 

also pic skates to me are harder to use than regular inlines (back when i used them before i started figure skating). the toe pick is higher, and they're taller and more glidey, which makes sense as they try to mimic figure skates?

when i first tried pic skates i found that they were terrifying and i could barely control them. stopping is very different and the rocker is very different. but after a few hours i got the hang out of it better and could start doing crossovers, mohawks, skating backwards, etc.

spins and jumps felt impossible so i haven't even tried. just doing anything that requires scraping the ice or turning on your rocker like hockey stops, snowplow stops, and choctaws seem impossible (but i'm sure it's actually not because people in pic skate videos do it). it's kind of hard to describe, but one major difference is that there is way more resistance. 

if you're going to go from inlines -> figure skates your issues will probably be quite different from mine :20111123175531c17:

THAT BEING SAID if you can't get ice time, i highly recommend trying it, a lot of the moves (like crossovers) are pretty much the same, and a lot of the muscles you will build are the same. and it's fun in the same way! 

Thank you so much!!! This was very helpful :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: I love you guys, I'll try this out and try to go to the rink as much as possible, let's see what happens 😂😂

1 hour ago, LeadenMyr said:

Thank you so much!!! This was very helpful :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: I love you guys, I'll try this out and try to go to the rink as much as possible, let's see what happens 😂😂

Yayy! I hope you get to try it! Skating is so fun :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

8 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

The other day I had a bad fall trying the Salchow, twisted my ankle and to save my ankle my knee twisted inwards and I fell to the side. It was really painful on the spot, but the pain faded after 3 days! Got scared tho, heh. 

omg yikes, but if the pain faded in 3 days hopefully that means there's no damage at all! >.< be careful pls!

19 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

The other day I had a bad fall trying the Salchow, twisted my ankle and to save my ankle my knee twisted inwards and I fell to the side. It was really painful on the spot, but the pain faded after 3 days! Got scared tho, heh. 

Uh, still did you get it checked?

Twisting ankles isn't exactly good or light thing to just brush off.

3 hours ago, Xen said:

Uh, still did you get it checked?

Twisting ankles isn't exactly good or light thing to just brush off.

It was the knee who hurt a little, the ankle didn't get stressed in any way actually! But the pain is completely gone because I rested and didn't skate since then c: but now I will be a little more careful about my form in the Salchow.

So I got my blades sharpened for the first time in a while. I can hold my edges again! But... after weeks of frustration and a very puzzled coach, we figured out that I really do have pretty bad pronation issues with my right leg. So she asked one of the other coaches to realign my blade. Now I can hold the right outside edge so much better! But I'm still not used to it, something just feels off and a little bit scary. So I can barely do 3-turns :13877886: It's for the best (because every time I bent my knee I got pulled to the inside edge), but for the next session or two I'll probably be a complete mess...

It's amazing how tiny little things make such a big difference. We also figured out that my problem with clockwise back crossovers is that my left hip is too open, so when I'm crossing I'm opening it and it throws me off balance (and feels frightening). I still can't control it, but now that we figured out the problem I know I what to work on... My body is clearly not really meant for skating, but I guess slow progress is still progress...

I landed a tiny tiny waltz jump tonight! I sort of thought that landing a jump backwards was insane and something I'd never be able to do, but... here we are. Taking up ice dance definitely sounded like a good idea when my coach was walking me through how to actually do the jump, though.

I also had my right blade adjusted in for pronation issues, so that has been interesting. I can definitely get to that right outside edge easier but everything was just a little different until I adjusted.

On 12/2/2018 at 6:24 PM, guitarist said:

So I got my blades sharpened for the first time in a while. I can hold my edges again! But... after weeks of frustration and a very puzzled coach, we figured out that I really do have pretty bad pronation issues with my right leg. So she asked one of the other coaches to realign my blade. Now I can hold the right outside edge so much better! But I'm still not used to it, something just feels off and a little bit scary. So I can barely do 3-turns :13877886: It's for the best (because every time I bent my knee I got pulled to the inside edge), but for the next session or two I'll probably be a complete mess...

It's amazing how tiny little things make such a big difference. We also figured out that my problem with clockwise back crossovers is that my left hip is too open, so when I'm crossing I'm opening it and it throws me off balance (and feels frightening). I still can't control it, but now that we figured out the problem I know I what to work on... My body is clearly not really meant for skating, but I guess slow progress is still progress...

It's truly crazy how true the bolded is! You would NEVER have known before you started skating lol. It's like, do I care with millimeter precision where my hips are when I walk? Yet I can walk on the street avoiding cars and throngs of tourists just fine. Lol. Anyway, congrats on fixing blade/boot issues. It's nice when you realize there IS a problem, because at least you can fix it.

I took 3 weeks off of skating bc it was just stressing me out but I am enjoying it again, even if my ice time is pretty limited now. oddly everything feels easier and I also had enough headspace to figure out why my flips were so consisten the first day I started landing them again and why they got all weird later. I also carefully started to work on spins again and I kinda manage 2-3 rev backspins now. I'm a bit terrified of ever falling on scratch spins ever again so I am being uncharacteristically careful. Still on my toe pick, despite my MK pros which is slightly discouraging. Also, I finally dared to do toe loops again. The pains in my left ankle have gotten alot better and it feels strong enough to do toe loops now. What's reallyy cool is, that I left off with a terrible toe waltz last season and I can do proper toe loops now! I could do one on my first try! Image training really works guys. Considering how limited my turn out is, I am pretty content with how they look.

It feels great to be back tho I am also dreading my next slump already. My respect for pro skaters is x100, how do they do it psychologically?

I feel like I need to be less reckless, especially since I'm still a skating noob. Bruised my tailbone the other day falling at speed. Owww

Also, I somehow forgot that I'm really bad at learning movements with multiple parts. So my chasse attempts have largely been something like 1. Push 2. Feet together 3. Uhhhhhhh what's the next step again? oh no now I've lost momentum and have to start over :13877886:

I wonder if I also have pronation issues. I can get on outside edges okay at this point, and my right outside edge especially seems pretty stable, but it was a struggle to learn and I still have a tendency to fall inside at the slightest loss of concentration. Gliding on a flat and having it remain flat is...hard, and while changing from outside to inside edge on a one foot glide is ezpz, I haven't figured out how to go the other way around.

My coach decided I needed to have better edge control/stability before he would teach me crossovers :sadPooh: I was watching Yuzu's Olympic practice vid set to Muse where he's just doing edgework for most of it and I'm sooo jealous. I know I'll never jump triples or quads, but I don't care about that (well, I do want to jump up to at least a single axel at some point, fingers crossed), I just want to do basic skating half as beautifully.