Skating on the Planet

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Other than centering, um, you just get used to it? :xD:

So eating and figure skating is not really compatible... before it's impossible to eat unless you want to throw up, and after it's impossible because I am not hungry xD 

16 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

So eating and figure skating is not really compatible... before it's impossible to eat unless you want to throw up, and after it's impossible because I am not hungry xD 

What? I'm always starving after skating, unless I went super light. 

Btw I started learning Salchow last lesson! <3<3<3 I was so happy about it I was focused on it for a solid 40 minutes. My right foot was killing me (I jump clockwise). Also, to prepare for it the teacher made me do only three turns for an hour. But I can say that I can almost do them decently now! The greatest difficulty for me is stopping the rotation, which has to do with my upper body posture I believe. But I am so happy I officially learned a jump that I can do in a competition. I want to train it hard so that I can jump it beautifully by Christmas. I'll try and record something next weekend. This weekend the ice rink is off-limits because of concert on monday. 

15 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Btw I started learning Salchow last lesson! <3<3<3 I was so happy about it I was focused on it for a solid 40 minutes. My right foot was killing me (I jump clockwise). Also, to prepare for it the teacher made me do only three turns for an hour. But I can say that I can almost do them decently now! The greatest difficulty for me is stopping the rotation, which has to do with my upper body posture I believe. But I am so happy I officially learned a jump that I can do in a competition. I want to train it hard so that I can jump it beautifully by Christmas. I'll try and record something next weekend. This weekend the ice rink is off-limits because of concert on monday. 

I had that stopping the rotation problem too. I can't see how you do it and I'm not sure if it's the same issue but in my case I was swinging too much with my free leg creating too much rotational momentum. the free leg has to create more of an upward push, actually similiar to an axel jump. When your leg is still beside you it has to feel like you're squeezing something between your tighs. And also make sure to wait a moment after your 3turn. Keep your free leg beside you for a moment before you start moving it. That lets you check properly and you swing less.

Not sure if it helps but you can see here how I used to do it:

ignore the caption bc at that time I was still doing it wrong but I was not really sure what I was doing wrong. It's too swingy and my leg is too far from my body.

Now my sal looks like this:

Still lots to improve abt it but my free leg goes up now and enables me to get some height. Unfortunately my 3turn is out of frame so my timing is unclear.

eta: Forgot to congratulate you on starting to jump sals!!! Isn't it? so? exciting??

21 minutes ago, robin said:

I had that stopping the rotation problem too. I can't see how you do it and I'm not sure if it's the same issue but in my case I was swinging too much with my free leg creating too much rotational momentum. the free leg has to create more of an upward push, actually similiar to an axel jump. When your leg is still beside you it has to feel like you're squeezing something between your tighs. And also make sure to wait a moment after your 3turn. Keep your free leg beside you for a moment before you start moving it. That lets you check properly and you swing less.

Ah, yeah I do have problems with my free leg. I cannot keep it behind my body at all, it stays in front. I feel like my body is stuck hehehe. I wish my coach would just take me and make me feel the points where my body is tangled up. She is great, but she has to follow more people of different levels. The people in my class are already trying doubles, and I'm barely learning singles! 

In any case, I will definitely make some videos next time so I can show you and maybe you people can correct me a little bit c: But the thing about squeezing something with your thighs sounds legit! I will try to remember it. And vertical push, too. 

I will definitely use your videos to study the Sal, I have already spent 15 minutes replaying Yuzu's Salchow entry at 0.25 speed xDDD 

25 minutes ago, robin said:

eta: Forgot to congratulate you on starting to jump sals!!! Isn't it? so? exciting??

It. fucken. is!!! I love jumping. It's my favourite thing by far, even more than spins. I love the adrenaline and the fear of dying LOL 

42 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

the fear of dying LOL 

LMAO that's one way to put it! I hate spins so I am totally with you on that. Jumps are the best.

Yes, make sure to film yourself so we can perhaps help you and also bc it's good to watch yourself, as well. (That's how I coach myslelf lol... sadly I've got no coach.)  But pls don't use me as a reference LOL use her or something. I am still a work in progress haha 

Also idk if Yuzu's sal is a good reference for single jumps?

1 hour ago, robin said:

Also idk if Yuzu's sal is a good reference for single jumps?

Well I know that he has to charge a lot more and takes off from both feet (more or less), but I was more looking at how balanced his body is. Like, his shoulders and hips, how they follow the direction of the free leg, and how soft his knees are when he jumps. 

8 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Well I know that he has to charge a lot more and takes off from both feet (more or less), but I was more looking at how balanced his body is. Like, his shoulders and hips, how they follow the direction of the free leg, and how soft his knees are when he jumps. 

I see.... so you're just using this as an excuse to admire him. :67638860:

jk, I know there's so much we can learn from him.

15 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

You want to keep the edge of your jumping leg (left for me and Robin, right for you) on more of a straight line, the curve of the sal takeoff looks a bit like a fish hook if you do it right. 

Hmm...how to think about it. Well the way I tend to think of the salcow jump is this: you're checking the back inside edge (LBI or RBI) so at that point your center of balance is slightly in towards the circle (almost straight). Then you swing your free leg and arms inwards and upwards to do the jump take off-this point your balance is shifting more toward the inside edge (or your free leg), before going straight to between your legs for pre-rotation, and then launching. This is why you have that / \ shape in the legs when you do the swing-if you use the 3 turn method. For the mohawk version, your legs are more straight, but you swing your center of balance/gravity straight and up faster. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have my RFO edge now, yay. LFO is still a work in progress (need to practice more left foot gliding/right foot t-pushes) but starting to get there. Amusingly, this has led to me being able to power pulls (on my right foot--not for very long, but still!) before being able to do slaloms. Pretty sure the normal way is to learn the two foot version of a skill before the one foot version :xD:

Speaking of acquiring skills in the wrong order, I still can't do a real snowplow stop :13877886:I swear I've gotten worse at them because half the time I try I accelerate instead. Also I tried two-foot turns today but mostly failed too because I couldn't get all the way around (I think I'm a little psychologically blocked from putting in the force need). The one time I did get 180 degrees I think I did a one foot turn by accident. Honestly, one foot seems easier to turn on than two feet.

Well, my rink finally found me a coach, so hopefully I will acquire all the little basic skills I missed just fooling around. Specifically, I need to get better at stopping quite badly. Otherwise, I fear for the little kids at my rink and their habit of not watching where they're going. :headdesk2: 

I went to the outdoor rink next to me to skate today. Pros: it's free. Cons: The ice is hard, which feels more slippery, it's cold, and there are leaves. There are also many people even at 8am who can't skate.

But somehow the hard ice was better for my spins. Or maybe it was me going faster into it despite being terrified. I need to fall more if I want to make any progress...

I was able to do one non-struggling backspin (as in, I spun until I had no more rotational inertia and I didn't need to balance check the whole time) and a change foot spin (forward scratch->back scratch) but that one made me really dizzy for some reason.

I really want to do a layback ina bauer but I keep inevitably falling on it.

https://imgur.com/a/VddZws0

^my "change foot spin" aka back scratch->forward scratch (doing it the other way is way harder) with a little trip in between :P

for some reason i makes me super dizzy LOL probably because I'm used to checking out of a spin, not going into another one :dizzy2:

i honestly don't get why in my forward scratch spin my foot is like 90 degrees to my body

c20f9Y6.png

8 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

https://imgur.com/a/VddZws0

^my "change foot spin" aka back scratch->forward scratch (doing it the other way is way harder) with a little trip in between :P

for some reason i makes me super dizzy LOL probably because I'm used to checking out of a spin, not going into another one :dizzy2:

i honestly don't get why in my forward scratch spin my foot is like 90 degrees to my body

c20f9Y6.png

For the forward scratch spin- your arms are not folding in unison, you have one arm folding in first, then the other arm coming in, that might be why your upper and lower are slightly out of sync when you fold in.

Hi all, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, do you know if skating with inline skates is any good resembling ice skating? I really wanna take it up but ice time and classes are expensive as hell and I wanna get fit before actually trying to sign up to a class and destroy my knees because I'm fat :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:so I was thinking of starting with inline skating and maybe try to do something resembling ice skating training but I'm not sure if it's doable? 

I don't even know what I'm asking, probably something like is it possible to train "ice skating" out of the ice using inline skates? Sorry if it doesn't make any sense :13877886: