Skating on the Planet

20 minutes ago, robin said:

So graceful and effortless :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Today I noticed that I spin better when I lift my arms over my head instead of folding them infront of my chest 

Haha thanks!

Hm, so by spinning better do you mean more centered? I think one thing that may be happening is that lifting your arms over your head helps you keep your shoulders square with your hips.

33 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Haha thanks!

Hm, so by spinning better do you mean more centered? I think one thing that may be happening is that lifting your arms over your head helps you keep your shoulders square with your hips.

Or it's a case that it forces you to straighten up your entire body which also helps center the spin. =)

57 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Haha thanks!

Yea it makes my spins better centered and faster and more controlled.

24 minutes ago, Xen said:

Or it's a case that it forces you to straighten up your entire body which also helps center the spin. =)

It‘s probably a mix of both and it probably also helps in engaging my core which I always fail to pay attention to. 

I guess I‘ll be spinning with my arms over my head from now on haha

On 8.12.2017 at 3:20 PM, robin said:

Hm I got one of those ballet spin boards and I wonder if they’d help with spins? Since they’re different from skate spinners 

LOL feel like I'm continuing my own monologue but... the spin board helped! I've been practicing on it every evening and I can do one foot spins on the ice now. Yesterday I hit a secure and well-centered one-foot spin once in 3 attempts or so and some of them felt really good. And my two foot spins have consistently gotten well-centered and fast.

13 minutes ago, robin said:

LOL feel like I'm continuing my own monologue but... the spin board helped! I've been practicing on it every evening and I can do one foot spins on the ice now. Yesterday I hit a secure and well-centered one-foot spin once in 3 attempts or so and some of them felt really good. And my two foot spins have consistently gotten well-centered and fast.

I bought new skates yesterday (yay :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:) so I ordered new skate guards for them and almost bought a spinner - now you make me regret not getting it after all :tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:

2 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

I bought new skates yesterday (yay :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:) so I ordered new skate guards for them and almost bought a spinner - now you make me regret not getting it after all :tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:

OMG yayyy what skates did you get? Did you skate with them yet?

I got the spinner off of amazon and it's cheaper than skate spinners so if you're interested it was similiar to this:

https://www.amazon.de/WINOMO-Ballett-Turning-Trainingsgeräte-Tänzer/dp/B0758DBCR8/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1513279823&sr=1-1&keywords=spin+boards

1 minute ago, robin said:

OMG yayyy what skates did you get? Did you skate with them yet?

I got the spinner off of amazon and it's cheaper than skate spinners so if you're interested it was similiar to this:

https://www.amazon.de/WINOMO-Ballett-Turning-Trainingsgeräte-Tänzer/dp/B0758DBCR8/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1513279823&sr=1-1&keywords=spin+boards

Jackson Classiques, my first "real" pair of skates lol
And yeah I skated yesterday and today, more or less successful  :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:(I keep getting stuck on the toe pick cause it's a lot bigger than on my previous ones :13877886:)

Is there a difference between those for ballet and the ones for skating? 

16 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

Jackson Classiques, my first "real" pair of skates lol
And yeah I skated yesterday and today, more or less successful  :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:(I keep getting stuck on the toe pick cause it's a lot bigger than on my previous ones :13877886:)

Is there a difference between those for ballet and the ones for skating? 

They're shaped differently and from what I can see on photos they're made from a harder material and are less bendable so I suspect they cause less friction and spin faster. The ballet spinner was more accessible to me so I bought one. But if you can you might do better by buying a skate spinner... Just saying that the ballet ones also do the job

When I first stepped on the ice with my first "real" pair of skates it felt like I was entering a whole new world:tumblr_inline_mfy92hO4sm1qid2nw:

My first ("fake" lol) skates had really obtrusive toe picks and I fell on my face the first time I tried them out but I eventually got used to them and had no problems at all getting used to my new blades. You just have to make sure to bend your knees and ankles which gets easier once you break in your skates so give it a little time!

1 minute ago, guitarist said:

You guys are so cool, doing one-foot spins and buying new skates, and I'm only just starting on crossovers T_T All in due time, I suppose...

Aww if you actually saw me skate you would not even remotely think "cool" hahah

It takes time. Last season all I did was learn skating backwards and crossovers... Did you move to the apartment with the rink??

2 minutes ago, robin said:

Aww if you actually saw me skate you would not even remotely think "cool" hahah

It takes time. Last season all I did was learn skating backwards and crossovers... Did you move to the apartment with the rink??

That's next week!!! Unfortunately I'm going to Mexico to visit my family right after, so I won't get to use it till January haha. So I'm cramming in all the practice I can next week, since I'll miss 2 weekends... 

1 minute ago, robin said:

They're shaped differently and from what I can see on photos they're made from a harder material and are less bendable so I suspect they cause less friction and spin faster. The ballet spinner was more accessible to me so I bought one. But if you can you might do better by buying a skate spinner... Just saying that the ballet ones also do the job

When I first stepped on the ice with my first "real" pair of skates it felt like I was entering a whole new world:tumblr_inline_mfy92hO4sm1qid2nw:

My first skates had really obtrusive toe picks and I fell on my face the first time I tried them out but I eventually got used to them and had no problems at all getting used to my new blades. You just have to make sure to bend your knees and ankles which gets easier once you break in your skates so give it a little time!

Mostly I'm just waiting for my lace puller to be delivered because trying to get those laces tight enough is killing my fingers rn :sadPooh:
But yeah it's a huuuge difference in support! They're like cocoons around my feet :laughing:

4 minutes ago, guitarist said:

You guys are so cool, doing one-foot spins and buying new skates, and I'm only just starting on crossovers T_T All in due time, I suppose...

Just because I bought these skates doesn't mean I'm not still struggling with crossovers :rofl:

1 minute ago, guitarist said:

That's next week!!! Unfortunately I'm going to Mexico to visit my family right after, so I won't get to use it till January haha. So I'm cramming in all the practice I can next week, since I'll miss 2 weekends... 

Oh nooo 2 whole weeks?

2 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

Mostly I'm just waiting for my lace puller to be delivered because trying to get those laces tight enough is killing my fingers rn

I have developed calluses on my fingers so it doesn't hurt anymore lmao

2 minutes ago, robin said:

Oh nooo 2 whole weeks?

I have developed calluses on my fingers so it doesn't hurt anymore lmao

A little less than that, but yeah...

Ah, the advantage of being a guitar player! My fingers are already covered in calluses!