Skating on the Planet

1 hour ago, axelnojutsu said:

We did crossrolls today - I couldn't do it at all but I got really excited anyway because I kept thinking about SEIMEI :embSwan:

Extra-motivation. "I want to learn this so that I can put Seimei in my earphones and pretend to be doing the program with Yuzuru". GAAAHH! 

6 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Extra-motivation. "I want to learn this so that I can put Seimei in my earphones and pretend to be doing the program with Yuzuru". GAAAHH! 

When no one's watching at the rink I do a simplified version of the first few seconds of Parisienne Walkways hahaha.

No rinks I've been in allow earphones, though, you guys are lucky... NYC rinks are always kinda packed, so it'd be dangerous... 

41 minutes ago, guitarist said:

When no one's watching at the rink I do a simplified version of the first few seconds of Parisienne Walkways hahaha.

No rinks I've been in allow earphones, though, you guys are lucky... NYC rinks are always kinda packed, so it'd be dangerous... 

you can try those bluetooth ones and only use one ear, maybe...

I went to the rink this morning just to practice my weak side a bit and the last time I went on a weekday it was super empty and there were like 2 other people but today apparently there was a school trip happening or something cause the whole thing was full of kids which was annoying because I couldn't really practice much and 90% of them didn't look where they were going at any point but on the bright side they thought I was some kind of pro with my terrible crossovers and backwards wiggles :smiley-laughing021:

12 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

I went to the rink this morning just to practice my weak side a bit and the last time I went on a weekday it was super empty and there were like 2 other people but today apparently there was a school trip happening or something cause the whole thing was full of kids which was annoying because I couldn't really practice much and 90% of them didn't look where they were going at any point but on the bright side they thought I was some kind of pro with my terrible crossovers and backwards wiggles :smiley-laughing021:

I go skating on Wednesday evenings bc there is a student discount on Wednesday evenings but that'a also why it's CRAMPED. You can barely even practice crossovers, it's mad (I'm actually thinking of dropping this rink altogether. It's too expensive on usual days but it's also the closest to where I live.)

Last time I went skating in the other rink (two hours away from where I live) there were two schooltrips happening at once and there was another girl practicing skating like me and she came to me to complain about how full it is and that it would be better for me to just take a corner and mark my territory (I was practicing in the middle) and I almost burst out laughing bc I was practicing so well in spite of the students not minding the skating direction and chasing each other

It might have taught me the skills to practice in crowded rinks but I think I might stop going to my local rink. It always gets me down at the end of the day because I don't even have enough space to get comfortable on the ice let alone be focused enough to practice properly, it feels like I'm regressing

sigh I wish our local rink wasn't so expensive

BTW, does anyone know of all-year-round rinks in Germany? I might go to the Netherlands for my internship in the summer lol

3 minutes ago, robin said:

It always gets me down at the end of the day because I don't even have enough space to get comfortable on the ice let alone be focused enough to practice properly, it feels like I'm regressing

That's mostly how I felt today as well, it's just frustrating... I think if I'm going again tomorrow morning and it's crowded again I'm just not going to go in at all, I have another lesson on Saturday and it's not worth wasting one entry fee on a session where I can't do anything

20 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

That's mostly how I felt today as well, it's just frustrating... I think if I'm going again tomorrow morning and it's crowded again I'm just not going to go in at all, I have another lesson on Saturday and it's not worth wasting one entry fee on a session where I can't do anything

Sigh that's a wise plan. I just try to seize every moment I can get myself to the rink...

In my experience rinks seem to be least busy on weekend mornings... although you might run into a birthday party and kids can be the most dangerous. So small and slow and falling left and right

7 hours ago, robin said:

I go skating on Wednesday evenings bc there is a student discount on Wednesday evenings but that'a also why it's CRAMPED. You can barely even practice crossovers, it's mad (I'm actually thinking of dropping this rink altogether. It's too expensive on usual days but it's also the closest to where I live.)

Last time I went skating in the other rink (two hours away from where I live) there were two schooltrips happening at once and there was another girl practicing skating like me and she came to me to complain about how full it is and that it would be better for me to just take a corner and mark my territory (I was practicing in the middle) and I almost burst out laughing bc I was practicing so well in spite of the students not minding the skating direction and chasing each other

It might have taught me the skills to practice in crowded rinks but I think I might stop going to my local rink. It always gets me down at the end of the day because I don't even have enough space to get comfortable on the ice let alone be focused enough to practice properly, it feels like I'm regressing

sigh I wish our local rink wasn't so expensive

BTW, does anyone know of all-year-round rinks in Germany? I might go to the Netherlands for my internship in the summer lol

oh lords, I skate on a commercial rink and have had little kids run into and grab onto my leg for dear life when doing scratch spins. Little kids idea of stopping is just falling and sliding across the ice, which usually means wiping out other people. This past week, a group ofhockey boys decided to play at the start of a public session and dumped about 10 pucks across the rink. Their parents just watched and did nothing, the rink guard did not even notice. I spent the first minute speeding around the rink picking up pucks before the hockey boys could react, then dumped all their pucks behind the blade sharpening machine. Sometimes, kids.....

13 hours ago, Xen said:

I spent the first minute speeding around the rink picking up pucks before the hockey boys could react, then dumped all their pucks behind the blade sharpening machine. Sometimes, kids.....

LOL wow

eta: i thought you said you threw them into the blade sharpening machine......hahaha

21 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

i tried to record myself doing waltz jumps, haha

So graceful and effortless :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Today I noticed that I spin better when I lift my arms over my head instead of folding them infront of my chest