Skating on the Planet

14 hours ago, hananistellata said:

Uh oh, please tell me that you grabbed the wall before falling. :crazyshit:

I wish. Instead I had to ask one of the coaches at the boards to make sure I didn’t get run over while I took my guards off in the middle of the ice. It was either that or crawl off.

On 7/11/2021 at 2:43 AM, shanshani said:

in fact skating is the only reason I manage to actually do an ok amount of exercise each week

same

8 hours ago, river said:

I wish. Instead I had to ask one of the coaches at the boards to make sure I didn’t get run over while I took my guards off in the middle of the ice. It was either that or crawl off.

this is...actually why i don't really use skate guards :| hope you're ok!

• 3 weeks later...

I went skating yesterday for the first time again since before lockdown started in the UK. I was so excited, the rink was pretty packed but still enough space to skate at a comfortable speed.

Until my friend fell on her bum and we had to leave because her wrist was in pain. Only to find out today that it was in fact broken :tif:

• 3 months later...

Greetings fellow Planet skaters! How's everybody doing?

I started skating two years ago. Before the pandemic I was able to take some group lessons. The only ice rink in the college town I live normally opens from October to March, but last season it was open for only a few weeks. A rink an hour drive away reopened last summer, so I took advantage of that and worked with a coach. This season I have been able to skate more at my local rink (albeit not making as much progress as I had hoped.)

I just came back from a trip to Chicago. It was fun not just because it was my first trip out of town (except for the said trips to the rink an hour drive away) since the pandemic. I went to a good pro shop to take of my skates, and skated in three different outdoors venues. If you live anywhere near Chicago, you probably already know about the ice rink at the Millennium Park and the "Ribbon" at the Maggy Daley Park. My favorite is the rink that's part of the Christmas Market at Gallagher Way. Great atmosphere there. You could see a short video clip from the Millennium park and photos from the other two venues here.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say hi and share with you the nice outdoor skating experience I just had in Chicago. I wish all of you a wonderful holiday season!

• 3 weeks later...

It just hit me that I can actually do a toeloop and salchow. They're not good, but they are in fact toeloops and salchows

I can actually do something that has a BV 😂 I even did a 1S-1T...to be honest I kind of feel like toeloops are easier to do in combination, but that's probably because my inside 3 turns are still kinda bad so I frequently screw up the entrance 😅

On 12/3/2021 at 8:11 PM, Maya said:

Greetings fellow Planet skaters! How's everybody doing?

I started skating two years ago. Before the pandemic I was able to take some group lessons. The only ice rink in the college town I live normally opens from October to March, but last season it was open for only a few weeks. A rink an hour drive away reopened last summer, so I took advantage of that and worked with a coach. This season I have been able to skate more at my local rink (albeit not making as much progress as I had hoped.)

I just came back from a trip to Chicago. It was fun not just because it was my first trip out of town (except for the said trips to the rink an hour drive away) since the pandemic. I went to a good pro shop to take of my skates, and skated in three different outdoors venues. If you live anywhere near Chicago, you probably already know about the ice rink at the Millennium Park and the "Ribbon" at the Maggy Daley Park. My favorite is the rink that's part of the Christmas Market at Gallagher Way. Great atmosphere there. You could see a short video clip from the Millennium park and photos from the other two venues here.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say hi and share with you the nice outdoor skating experience I just had in Chicago. I wish all of you a wonderful holiday season!

That sounds like fun! Outdoor rinks are awesome especially when they are full of christmas lights. Makes me want to skate at Rockefeller Center or something in NYC in front of the big tree...

On 12/23/2021 at 10:32 AM, shanshani said:

It just hit me that I can actually do a toeloop and salchow. They're not good, but they are in fact toeloops and salchows

I can actually do something that has a BV 😂 I even did a 1S-1T...to be honest I kind of feel like toeloops are easier to do in combination, but that's probably because my inside 3 turns are still kinda bad so I frequently screw up the entrance 😅

nice!! are you learning it with a coach or just on your own?

13 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

nice!! are you learning it with a coach or just on your own?

coach. unfortunately currently at my rink you are only allowed to skate if you have class, so I can't do much practicing on my own :sadPooh: 1 hr/week of training for at least the next few months. kind of surprised that I'm still making decent progress with such low ice time

On 12/24/2021 at 11:01 PM, yuzuangel said:

That sounds like fun! Outdoor rinks are awesome especially when they are full of christmas lights. Makes me want to skate at Rockefeller Center or something in NYC in front of the big tree...

Did you go skating in front of the big tree? I was planning to go back to Chicago over Christmas but decided to cancel the trip because of Omicron. Very glad to have been there before Thanksgiving.

I have a question for all of you who go to public skate sessions: Does your local rink have any policy against practicing freestyle? My local rink (the only one in town) prohibits one-foot skating, jumps, and spins during public skate. Spirals are out of the question, but even edges are something the high school kids hired by the rink would tell me not to do. They said both of my feet have to be on the ice. A girl was practicing loop turns and power pulls some time ago. The manager of the rink came out to stop her, even though there were just the two of us on the ice. The rink an hour drive away doesn't have this kind of policy, so I'm curious how rare of common it is.

On 12/24/2021 at 11:25 PM, shanshani said:

coach. unfortunately currently at my rink you are only allowed to skate if you have class, so I can't do much practicing on my own :sadPooh: 1 hr/week of training for at least the next few months. kind of surprised that I'm still making decent progress with such low ice time

It's great that you're making good progress with not much time on the ice. I normally need several hours of practice for every half an hour of coaching session before I feel ready to see my coach again to receive her feedback or learn new things.

Do you do off-ice training/practice? Sometimes I have an ah-ha moment by following along or even just watching videos like this one below, which reminds me something my coach told me but just didn't register before. I really like this whole playlist by the way.

On 1/1/2022 at 8:14 PM, Maya said:

Did you go skating in front of the big tree? I was planning to go back to Chicago over Christmas but decided to cancel the trip because of Omicron. Very glad to have been there before Thanksgiving.

I have a question for all of you who go to public skate sessions: Does your local rink have any policy against practicing freestyle? My local rink (the only one in town) prohibits one-foot skating, jumps, and spins during public skate. Spirals are out of the question, but even edges are something the high school kids hired by the rink would tell me not to do. They said both of my feet have to be on the ice. A girl was practicing loop turns and power pulls some time ago. The manager of the rink came out to stop her, even though there were just the two of us on the ice. The rink an hour drive away doesn't have this kind of policy, so I'm curious how rare of common it is.

I have personally never experienced this. At public sessions that I've gone to, there's always a middle area that's kind of implicitly reserved (or coned off) for lessons, people wanting to do more figure skating moves, etc. And unless you're doing something dangerous like camel spins, I've never seen a skate guard care. But that's my experience here...

• 2 months later...

My coach started me on brackets today. Apparently they weren’t bad for a first try! The exit edges are a bit flat but my coach said that’s normal at first, and we’ll work on getting them correct.

Of course, I won’t have any chance to practice them for three weeks because of Worlds. There are worse problems to have, I guess.

• 3 months later...

Just saw a video interview of Narumi Takahashi. I could only understand a small part of Japanese in the interview. I wish there were English translation as it seems relevant for what I've been struggling with. If any of you could understand what she says in the interview, could you post the gist of her points?

• 1 year later...

Does anyone here speak Italian and could help me find an ice rink in or around Milan, Italy that will have public skate sessions between Sep. 10 and 17, 2023? I googled and found one, which seemed closed for good.