Skating on the Planet

On 6/24/2017 at 2:40 AM, Murieleirum said:

And the spinner does look like a terribly difficult excercise for balance! Yuzu makes everything look easy tho :smiley-love017:

I tried one in Helsinki, haha! And...for the record...I can do a decent one fit spin on ice...I couldn't even get one rotation on it. WTF how do you use it? LOL :smiley-sick030:

BTW I think I knocked some posters off the walls when I was using it. :Just_Cuz_15:

On 6/23/2017 at 3:53 AM, Xen said:

How do the Risport Royales feel? Are they lighter?  I'm planning to fly half way across the country to get fitted since the last time I bought online, I ended up at least 1 size too big..and am considering switching to Royal Elite or Royal Pro. My current pair is RF3! The other I was thinking was possibly switching over to Edea, but I'm not sure if Edea or Risport have the narrower ankles and heels. But overall I like the risports, they are super comfy for me. 

Humm, I don't know if they're lighter because it's been a while since I've had my other boots, but iirc they're about the same? Supposedly royales have like...better molding/foam inside so it's easier for you to break it in and have it adjust to your feet. Supposedly the technology is good, and before skaters used to need to get custom skates even when they're only doing doubles but now they do not. but maybe that's just the sales pitch :smiley-taunt014:

Moving over from Random Thought Theatre: My new skates just arrived! :665e343793b9:

They're the first I've owned in about 20 years, basic recreational skates because I have absolutely no illusions about reliving the glory days but so far I couldn't be happier with them. I have a long term foot injury that made the rentals at our local rink agony to wear but these are so comfy I don't want to take them off :embSwan: 

I'm stomping about the living room in them with no pain in my foot at all which just never happens (probably because they're boots which is what I'm supposed to wear all the time but, eh, it's summer...) I'm now busy calculating how mad kiddo will be if I hit the rink tomorrow while she's in school rather than waiting for the weekend like we planned...

3 hours ago, Ahlai said:

Moving over from Random Thought Theatre: My new skates just arrived! :665e343793b9:

They're the first I've owned in about 20 years, basic recreational skates because I have absolutely no illusions about reliving the glory days but so far I couldn't be happier with them. I have a long term foot injury that made the rentals at our local rink agony to wear but these are so comfy I don't want to take them off :embSwan: 

I'm stomping about the living room in them with no pain in my foot at all which just never happens (probably because they're boots which is what I'm supposed to wear all the time but, eh, it's summer...) I'm now busy calculating how mad kiddo will be if I hit the rink tomorrow while she's in school rather than waiting for the weekend like we planned...

Congrats on returning to skating and finding a pair of boots that feel comfortable off the bat! :space:

6 hours ago, Ahlai said:

congratulations! you must be so excited to get back on the ice :thumbsup::2thumbsup: did you get them mounted yet?

It is true that there are good and bads days on  a skating rink. And there are days when you think you are wasting your time, that you are too old etc. The only answer is: don't give up and try to get some inspiration. I noticed that I skate better if the day before I watch some FS videos, preferably Yuzu :laughing:.  It is kind of image training, probably, but it works.

I have brought something to inspire those learning crossovers and backward skating :smile:

21 hours ago, Xen said:

Congrats on returning to skating and finding a pair of boots that feel comfortable off the bat! :space:

18 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

congratulations! you must be so excited to get back on the ice :thumbsup::2thumbsup: did you get them mounted yet?

Thanks, I'm taking them in to get checked over and sharpened tomorrow, don't know if I'll be able to resist temptation after that. I'm supposed to be taking kiddo and a friend with me at the weekend and some alone-time on the ice first is sounding really good.

On 27/6/2017 at 2:05 PM, Ahlai said:

I'm now busy calculating how mad kiddo will be if I hit the rink tomorrow while she's in school rather than waiting for the weekend like we planned...

Why not tomorrow AND in the weekend? They don't necessarily have to know you'll go there tomorrow... :dancingpooh:

9 hours ago, Floria said:

It is true that there are good and bads days on  a skating rink. And there are days when you think you are wasting your time, that you are too old etc. The only answer is: don't give up and try to get some inspiration. I noticed that I skate better if the day before I watch some FS videos, preferably Yuzu :laughing:.  It is kind of image training, probably, but it works.

I have brought something to inspire those learning crossovers and backward skating :smile:

Aaaaaah damn, so beautiful... 

13 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Why not tomorrow AND in the weekend? They don't necessarily have to know you'll go there tomorrow... 

True, I'll have to see what time I've got. I'm off to a bit of a late start but I can always skip the food shopping, who needs to eat when you can skate! :laughing:

13 minutes ago, Ahlai said:

True, I'll have to see what time I've got. I'm off to a bit of a late start but I can always skip the food shopping, who needs to eat when you can skate! :laughing:

As Yuzu teaches us, it's best to skate with an empty belly :winky:

1 hour ago, Murieleirum said:

As Yuzu teaches us, it's best to skate with an empty belly :winky:

That's actually not a good idea, tbh. Usually it's best to eat a little bit about 2 hours before you have to jump like crazy. 

Speaking of Yuzu and his skating....how exactly does he get his speed? His crossover and gliding just pick up speed from nowhere. 

(Do you think looking at hours of Yuzu's loops will fix/whip my loop jump into shape?)

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

That's actually not a good idea, tbh. Usually it's best to eat a little bit about 2 hours before you have to jump like crazy. 

Speaking of Yuzu and his skating....how exactly does he get his speed? His crossover and gliding just pick up speed from nowhere. 

(Do you think looking at hours of Yuzu's loops will fix/whip my loop jump into shape?)

Mmmh maybe it also depends on one's metabolism I guess! Yes, starving before physical excercise is never a good idea :laughing:

Ahaha, you should talk about this with Kurt Browning... he has the same questions!! 

On 6/30/2017 at 2:02 AM, yuzuangel said:

ugh, i still can't get the timing and feel of the toe loop. :animated-smileys-angry-033:

my coach said to practice back pivots, so i guess i'll do that to try to get the feel of the jump.

do you guys practice shoot-the-ducks when you're trying to get lower down on your sit spin? :animated-smileys-character-023:

Yes, we usually did practice shoot the ducks as part of sit spin prep work.  What entry are you doing for the toe-loop? The right forward 3 turn directly into the toe tap, or the left forward shift to right back outside and then toe tap? The former I find easier, the latter has a wonky timing- my upper body refuses to time its twists with the leg.

I just got my new boots- apparently my old boots were 2 sizes too large. Now the new ones are chewing on my toes. Anyone have suggestions on how to get the toe tip to not hurt/kill you during the break-in process?

Hey guys~ I feel like such a newbie posting here but I just signed onto a 5-week adult learn-to-skate lessons beginning next week (30min lessons with 1hr free practice on rental skates) but I'm super excited! Thought I might as well put this figure skating obsession to use and maybe get a little healthier haha.  

I've been skating infrequently for a number of years (only 2-3 times per year) so I can skate forward without falling over much but am a huge newbie otherwise. Had a 3hr session in the rink with a friend the other day and kind of started getting the hang of crossovers (only right foot ones though) and (kind of) skating backwards. At the moment I'm just poring through the Learn to FS archives about stretching but does anyone have any key tips or an idea of what I should expect to learn in 5 weeks? ( :

10 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Hey guys~ I feel like such a newbie posting here but I just signed onto a 5-week adult learn-to-skate lessons beginning next week (30min lessons with 1hr free practice on rental skates) but I'm super excited! Thought I might as well put this figure skating obsession to use and maybe get a little healthier haha.  

I've been skating infrequently for a number of years (only 2-3 times per year) so I can skate forward without falling over much but am a huge newbie otherwise. Had a 3hr session in the rink with a friend the other day and kind of started getting the hang of crossovers (only right foot ones though) and (kind of) skating backwards. At the moment I'm just poring through the Learn to FS archives about stretching but does anyone have any key tips or an idea of what I should expect to learn in 5 weeks? ( :

Hii! Well, welcome!! Figure skating really does give you a good workout, even if you may not feel it sometime because it's always freezing cold in the rink. I've been skating for about 6 months consistently now and I just realized I have quite scary (for me, at least compared to the past) calf and thigh muscles now not even close to what yuzu has, but i've always been a stick before this

Well I am not anywhere close to an expert, but just learning to glide for 10-20 seconds on one foot straight without curving, both feet, forwards and backwards is the first step. it may seem hard at first but it's actually really helpful in building the muscles and the ankle strength needed. And your first set of learn to skate sessions will probably be forward crossovers in both directions (in a figure 8), gliding, stopping, and mayyybe mohawks/3turns towards the end! Good luck and have lots of fun!