Skating on the Planet

On 7/30/2020 at 9:20 PM, yuzuangel said:

The rinks are not too uncommon around here, so depending on where I am living it's usually something like 10-30 minutes traveling away

Oh, how easy it is! You're so lucky! 

Personnally, I take the train (1h30 for the outward journey and 1h30 for the return) to get to an ice rink.. So when I'm in the ice rink, I stay there for several hours :-)

23 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

i just want to be able to skate up and down the road. like put in some music and go around the neighborhood. pic skates seem really scary on a bumpy surface especially if there are twigs/pebbles/holes :scared0011: even small ones make you feel unstable :smiley-sick030:  i guess they do try to mimic ice where a small hairclip can make you fall on your face. or maybe it's just me. 

I tried 2 years ago quads (10 lessons) indoors... less chance of falling than outdoors. I find it harder than ice skating. Moreover, after the lesson, it always took me a lot of time to clean the wheels (remove dust, hair...). Easier to maintain ice skates ^^ and  I find more pleasure in this sport.

@yuzuangel @FlyingCamel I admire your multi-sport talents :-)

On 7/31/2020 at 3:52 PM, FlyingCamel said:

Wow, that's amazing! I can never do a toeloop, mine always ends up as a toe waltz T__T

a toe waltz... never heard about that :67638860:   I'm sure you will be able to do a toeloop one day ! Courage !  

Today I tried it with both hands up, and it actually forces you to get more height. Thats' a good exercice. 

17 hours ago, Marie-E said:

a toe waltz... never heard about that :67638860:   I'm sure you will be able to do a toeloop one day ! Courage !  

Today I tried it with both hands up, and it actually forces you to get more height. Thats' a good exercice. 

Haha, a toe waltz is kind of like a failed toeloop, like I end up pre-rotating halfway and taking off forwards, so it ends up like a waltz jump that takes off on the toepick, therefore people call it a toe waltz haha and it's very bad technique T_T But thank you!! I really need to have some courage and fix my technique instead of just avoiding that jump all the time :( I do find it scary when I attempt the do it correctly but hopefully I'll fix it!! Thanks for the encouragement hehe :3 

And woah it's so cool that you took lessons on quad skates!! Maybe next time I'll try it too if I get the chance!

6 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Haha, a toe waltz is kind of like a failed toeloop, like I end up pre-rotating halfway and taking off forwards, so it ends up like a waltz jump that takes off on the toepick, therefore people call it a toe waltz haha and it's very bad technique T_T But thank you!! I really need to have some courage and fix my technique instead of just avoiding that jump all the time :( I do find it scary when I attempt the do it correctly but hopefully I'll fix it!! Thanks for the encouragement hehe :3 

And woah it's so cool that you took lessons on quad skates!! Maybe next time I'll try it too if I get the chance!

i think i do toe waltz jumps too. it's way easier to do a toe waltz than a toe loop lmao. but i can't do a toe waltz on pic skates (it's really hard to prerotate your jumps on rubber/cement) so...i feel like if i learn how to do them on pic skates, it'll help on the ice :think:

8 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

i think i do toe waltz jumps too. it's way easier to do a toe waltz than a toe loop lmao. but i can't do a toe waltz on pic skates (it's really hard to prerotate your jumps on rubber/cement) so...i feel like if i learn how to do them on pic skates, it'll help on the ice :think:

Haven’t tried this yet but it looks like it would help!! Hopefully this will fix our toeloops haha

1 hour ago, FlyingCamel said:

Haven’t tried this yet but it looks like it would help!! Hopefully this will fix our toeloops haha

haha i have been practicing pivots exactly like that for toe loops but then when i try to jump mid-pivot, i can't lol. but i don't try to jump after pivoting for a whole 1 or 1.5 rotations like he does...i'll try that tomorrow...

9 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

haha i have been practicing pivots exactly like that for toe loops but then when i try to jump mid-pivot, i can't lol. but i don't try to jump after pivoting for a whole 1 or 1.5 rotations like he does...i'll try that tomorrow...

haha, I just tried and I have the same problem! Can't seem to takeoff after the pivot. Maybe it's something that will come with practice... let us know how it goes! Good luck! <3 

Just now, FlyingCamel said:

haha, I just tried and I have the same problem! Can't seem to takeoff after the pivot. Maybe it's something that will come with practice... let us know how it goes! Good luck! <3 

i feel like if we can figure it out, we can definitely have real toe loops! lol! i think the reason why i can't takeoff after pivot is because my right leg wants to turn in to jump aka become a toe waltz, but since we're on wheels, the wheels don't slide like that lol. so i guess training on wheels really forces you to face your bad prerotation habits... 

• 1 month later...

I live quite far from the nearest rink so I've been doing some roller lessons the past couple of weeks and boy is it weird. I keep forgetting and trying to turn or stop like I would on the ice and scaring myself by tripping. I was also surprised by how wobbly I felt trying to stay on one foot for spirals - I thought the larger surface area of the wheels would make it easier, but I think I was missing the security of having edges.  I did get to the ice again this weekend and it didn't feel right so I'm not sure I'll keep going inline skating. I was having a lot of trouble with spread eagles, which may have been from a big legs session at the gym on Friday (I went up another 20kgs for leg press - I'm still sore today lol) but I'm also wondering if it's because I got a bit too used to doing it in the inlines. Has anyone else had trouble going back and forth from wheels to ice?

On 9/7/2020 at 8:57 AM, memae said:

I live quite far from the nearest rink so I've been doing some roller lessons the past couple of weeks and boy is it weird. I keep forgetting and trying to turn or stop like I would on the ice and scaring myself by tripping. I was also surprised by how wobbly I felt trying to stay on one foot for spirals - I thought the larger surface area of the wheels would make it easier, but I think I was missing the security of having edges.  I did get to the ice again this weekend and it didn't feel right so I'm not sure I'll keep going inline skating. I was having a lot of trouble with spread eagles, which may have been from a big legs session at the gym on Friday (I went up another 20kgs for leg press - I'm still sore today lol) but I'm also wondering if it's because I got a bit too used to doing it in the inlines. Has anyone else had trouble going back and forth from wheels to ice?

Hmm, for me T-stop is the easier way to stop on inlines!

And as for going back and forth between wheels and ice I feel like based on what I’ve read online different people say different things... some people say training on wheels helped them while some said the wheels messed up their ice skating so... maybe it really varies from person to person based on skill level, the way you train and perhaps the type of inline frames you use? This is just my own guess haha

For me personally I feel like everything is much harder on inlines but I don’t feel like it helps or messes up my ice technique.

Maybe you can go with how you feel? For me I don’t really use my inlines for spins and jumps because I’m scared 😂 I just use them sometimes for steps and basic turns! 

10 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Hmm, for me T-stop is the easier way to stop on inlines!

And as for going back and forth between wheels and ice I feel like based on what I’ve read online different people say different things... some people say training on wheels helped them while some said the wheels messed up their ice skating so... maybe it really varies from person to person based on skill level, the way you train and perhaps the type of inline frames you use? This is just my own guess haha

For me personally I feel like everything is much harder on inlines but I don’t feel like it helps or messes up my ice technique.

Maybe you can go with how you feel? For me I don’t really use my inlines for spins and jumps because I’m scared 😂 I just use them sometimes for steps and basic turns! 

Yeah, I have found T-stops the easiest on inlines. It feels so clunky. Like skating in moonboots lol. But out of habit I keep trying to stop like I would on the ice and hurtling over.  

I am not game to try spins or jumps. It's just been nice to glide around when I haven't been able to get to the ice.  But yes, everything seems harder than it does on ice. It's just a lot more effort to try and do anything (except mohawks for some reason). 

4 hours ago, memae said:

Yeah, I have found T-stops the easiest on inlines. It feels so clunky. Like skating in moonboots lol. But out of habit I keep trying to stop like I would on the ice and hurtling over.  

I am not game to try spins or jumps. It's just been nice to glide around when I haven't been able to get to the ice.  But yes, everything seems harder than it does on ice. It's just a lot more effort to try and do anything (except mohawks for some reason). 

The stopping thing sometimes happens to me too! I think there’s no way around it, we just have to be super mindful and remember we are on inlines 😓

Yes even skating forwards normally takes more effort on wheels... I think as much as wheels are more convenient/cheaper, nothing can truly replace the ice ever...

On another topic, is anyone here able to land an axel/learning an axel? I really can’t get over the fear of them... 

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2020 at 7:31 AM, FlyingCamel said:

On another topic, is anyone here able to land an axel/learning an axel? I really can’t get over the fear of them... 

not really because no ice time, but i've been practicing them on land...you can sorta whip out 1.5 rotations easily but they seem very very tricky to get technically correct...

19 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

not really because no ice time, but i've been practicing them on land...you can sorta whip out 1.5 rotations easily but they seem very very tricky to get technically correct...

Woah at least you can fully rotate off-ice!! That’s amazing haha

I don’t know, on the ice I’m just terrified to even try to be honest :/ 

• 3 weeks later...