Skating on the Planet

1 hour ago, Marie-E said:

I've been skating for almost two years... and I still can't do a good spin :-( . Even on two feet, it's still not optimal. I wish I could train more, but my head hurts quickly with these spins. ^^

I've never used a spinner, except during a camp in Colmar 2 years ago... and frankly I couldn't do anything with it ^^ (worse than on the ice).

When you talk about backward spins, you impress me! :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:  How long have you been skating?

@FlyingCamel You're right, roller skating is more economical ;-) . Because in addition to the entrance fee to the ice rink, there are also the transport costs (if the ice rink is far from your home). But what wouldn't we do for ice skating ? ;-)

I’ve been skating about 3-4 years-ish on and off? And to be honest with you I can’t really backspin properly haha 🙈

Oh no, do you want to check with your doctor just in case it’s a medical issue? 

On 7/27/2020 at 6:53 PM, FlyingCamel said:

I’ve been skating about 3-4 years-ish on and off? And to be honest with you I can’t really backspin properly haha 🙈

Oh no, do you want to check with your doctor just in case it’s a medical issue? 

3-4 years, great! And you can do several types of jumps? As far as I'm concerned, I have difficulties with the salchow although it's usually one of the easiest jumps (that's what I've been told). I don't dare throw the leg after the three-turn.

I don't think it's a medical problem. It's just that I'm not used to do spins, and so I get dizzy quickly ;-)

On 7/27/2020 at 10:55 AM, Marie-E said:

I've been skating for almost two years... and I still can't do a good spin :-( . Even on two feet, it's still not optimal. I wish I could train more, but my head hurts quickly with these spins. ^^

I've never used a spinner, except during a camp in Colmar 2 years ago... and frankly I couldn't do anything with it ^^ (worse than on the ice).

When you talk about backward spins, you impress me! :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:  How long have you been skating?

@FlyingCamel You're right, roller skating is more economical ;-) . Because in addition to the entrance fee to the ice rink, there are also the transport costs (if the ice rink is far from your home). But what wouldn't we do for ice skating ? ;-)

I've been skating for a while...bUT progress is super on and off! in skating especially, because everything needs to be so precise...

When I was 12, I got a pair of skates that miraculously fit me at a garage sale for $10. I used it once at the rink, and that was the first and last time I went to the rink for a while. Until around 2014, when I took a skating class to fulfill athletic requirement to graduate from school. The class was for beginners, we mostly just played on the ice. I think we learned to skate from one end of the rink to another :tumblr_inline_mzx8x6OEBn1r8msi5: Then in 2016, after watching some skating on TV, I got a pair of skates and tried to sign up for classes. At the time I had work that started around 7am, so it was hard to skate, and skating lessons were always in the mornings, so I kept putting off the classes. Until I got another job that was much better with schedule, starting around 10:30am instead. That's when I started to take lessons and skate more than a few times a year! That was in 2017 :nod2: and I have been skating since then, until the pandemic closed all the rinks down. I haven't been to the rink since March :smiley-sad030:

11 hours ago, Marie-E said:

3-4 years, great! And you can do several types of jumps? As far as I'm concerned, I have difficulties with the salchow although it's usually one of the easiest jumps (that's what I've been told). I don't dare throw the leg after the three-turn.

I don't think it's a medical problem. It's just that I'm not used to do spins, and so I get dizzy quickly ;-)

I don’t know if I can call my jumps “jumps” because it’s more like tiny hops where I barely leave the ice 🙈🙈🙈

I feel you, I’m really scared of jumping too haha

Have you tried a waltz jump and bunny hop? 

9 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I've been skating for a while...bUT progress is super on and off! in skating especially, because everything needs to be so precise...

When I was 12, I got a pair of skates that miraculously fit me at a garage sale for $10. I used it once at the rink, and that was the first and last time I went to the rink for a while. Until around 2014, when I took a skating class to fulfill athletic requirement to graduate from school. The class was for beginners, we mostly just played on the ice. I think we learned to skate from one end of the rink to another :tumblr_inline_mzx8x6OEBn1r8msi5: Then in 2016, after watching some skating on TV, I got a pair of skates and tried to sign up for classes. At the time I had work that started around 7am, so it was hard to skate, and skating lessons were always in the mornings, so I kept putting off the classes. Until I got another job that was much better with schedule, starting around 10:30am instead. That's when I started to take lessons and skate more than a few times a year! That was in 2017 :nod2: and I have been skating since then, until the pandemic closed all the rinks down. I haven't been to the rink since March :smiley-sad030:

When will your rink open?

21 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Well, what a story!  It's great to have persevered! Is your skating rink close to where you live?

21 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Then in 2016, after watching some skating on TV, I got a pair of skates and tried to sign up for classes. At the time I had work that started around 7am, so it was hard to skate, and skating lessons were always in the mornings, so I kept putting off the classes. Until I got another job that was much better with schedule, starting around 10:30am instead. 

It's not easy to combine passion and work, in terms of schedules. That's why I'm mainly learn on my own with a few classes from time to time and a summer camp each year (except this year because of the corona :sadPooh: )

11 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

I don’t know if I can call my jumps “jumps” because it’s more like tiny hops where I barely leave the ice 🙈🙈🙈

I feel you, I’m really scared of jumping too haha

Have you tried a waltz jump and bunny hop? 

Yes, I can do the bunny hop. The waltz jump, I do it a little bit but it's tiny ! As another jump that I manage more or less  it's the toeloop. But here too it's a tiny jump ^^ ... Right now, I'm trying the toeloop with one arm up and two arms up.

3 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Not sure how true everything here is but might be useful if anyone is interested to buy frames!! 

Wow this is super helpful! Looking at this I probably would have wanted to purchase the "Off Ice Skates" brand of frames if I didn't already own a setup. That low toepick would be really useful for trying to spin and even turn/jump in the same way as on the ice. From the last couple months of skating in pic skates, that was definitely the biggest difference that took me a while to get used to. The pic (toe stop) is too high and as it got worn down it was even higher off the ground. Makes it harder to balance and do things like spirals, let alone spins.  For example, when you land your jumps, you always land on your toepick first and then gradually rock down onto your blade. If the toepick is too worn out, then there's no longer a smooth rocking motion, and you often just pitch forward.

That and the weight was also a big difference. Inlines are a lot heavier (solid rubber wheels lol)

It's interesting to see so many brands come out of Taiwan! I wonder why inline skating is so big there??

2 hours ago, Marie-E said:

Well, what a story!  It's great to have persevered! Is your skating rink close to where you live?

The rinks are not too uncommon around here, so depending on where I am living it's usually something like 10-30 minutes traveling away :) 

19 hours ago, Marie-E said:

Yes, I can do the bunny hop. The waltz jump, I do it a little bit but it's tiny ! As another jump that I manage more or less  it's the toeloop. But here too it's a tiny jump ^^ ... Right now, I'm trying the toeloop with one arm up and two arms up.

Wow, that's amazing! I can never do a toeloop, mine always ends up as a toe waltz T__T

16 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Wow this is super helpful! Looking at this I probably would have wanted to purchase the "Off Ice Skates" brand of frames if I didn't already own a setup. That low toepick would be really useful for trying to spin and even turn/jump in the same way as on the ice. From the last couple months of skating in pic skates, that was definitely the biggest difference that took me a while to get used to. The pic (toe stop) is too high and as it got worn down it was even higher off the ground. Makes it harder to balance and do things like spirals, let alone spins.  For example, when you land your jumps, you always land on your toepick first and then gradually rock down onto your blade. If the toepick is too worn out, then there's no longer a smooth rocking motion, and you often just pitch forward.

That and the weight was also a big difference. Inlines are a lot heavier (solid rubber wheels lol)

It's interesting to see so many brands come out of Taiwan! I wonder why inline skating is so big there??

Yeah spins are definitely the hardest thing to do on inline skates! But seeing all these amazing skaters doing spins gives me hope...

As for the wear and tear issue I think it will be a problem with every brand though! Especially when you spin and the rubber toepick is rubbing against the concrete ground it will surely get higher over time :( I heard for the pic skate you can try to rotate it such that the worn down surface will face upwards instead and you can have another surface facing towards the ground? And then eventually when it's become too small I guess there's no choice but to replace it... 

4 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

I heard for the pic skate you can try to rotate it such that the worn down surface will face upwards instead and you can have another surface facing towards the ground?

I heard this to but have yet to figure it out... :think: the pics have a groove, you can't just rotate them.... :think: nvm i figured  it out LOL

BTW I really want to get these they are so shiny  . . . . ... .. ..

lucky-skates-holographic-impala-roller-s

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I heard this to but have yet to figure it out... :think: the pics have a groove, you can't just rotate them.... :think: nvm i figured  it out LOL

BTW I really want to get these they are so shiny  . . . . ... .. ..

lucky-skates-holographic-impala-roller-s

Omg how did you do it?
And I only ever tried quad skates once in my life... they feel really different from inlines and ice IMO! Haha and yes they are so shiny!! But can you jump and all in those though?

1 hour ago, SitTwizzle said:

Are they easy to clean? :2023:

I... don’t clean them... 
please don’t judge me

1 hour ago, FlyingCamel said:

Omg how did you do it?
And I only ever tried quad skates once in my life... they feel really different from inlines and ice IMO! Haha and yes they are so shiny!! But can you jump and all in those though?

i'll try it when they've worn down enough and film lol...but i think that you can put the pics on in 2 different orientations

i've never tried quads quad skates :smiley-scared003: will i fall on my face? i just want to be able to skate up and down the road. like put in some music and go around the neighborhood. pic skates seem really scary on a bumpy surface especially if there are twigs/pebbles/holes :scared0011: even small ones make you feel unstable :smiley-sick030:  i guess they do try to mimic ice where a small hairclip can make you fall on your face. or maybe it's just me. 

9 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

i'll try it when they've worn down enough and film lol...but i think that you can put the pics on in 2 different orientations

i've never tried quads quad skates :smiley-scared003: will i fall on my face? i just want to be able to skate up and down the road. like put in some music and go around the neighborhood. pic skates seem really scary on a bumpy surface especially if there are twigs/pebbles/holes :scared0011: even small ones make you feel unstable :smiley-sick030:  i guess they do try to mimic ice where a small hairclip can make you fall on your face. or maybe it's just me. 

That would be helpful!! Thank you in advance <3

Hmm, I only had them on for like an hour and I found it hard to do even things like forward crossovers, let alone spins and jumps. Also I have no idea how people spin on quad skates, because... where is the rocker?

But then again it depends! I know a girl who is a more advanced skater than I am and struggled to use inline skates initially, while another guy who isn’t as advanced as she is who had no problem at all adapting to inline skates so... No idea haha

And yes, my biggest fear for skating outdoors is tripping over some stray pebble while I’m preparing for a jump or something!!