Skating on the Planet

13 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

I’m not much of a fan of roller skating though... soooo heavy and am I the only one who can’t spin in them??

That's exactly how I feel 😅 they're much heavier, and simple things like 3turns are so much more laborious bc of the added friction, and nope I absolutely can't spin on them (but I think that's because my "toe pick" isn't low enough on the skate). Oh and they wear down super fast and the toe picks need to be replaced often?

But I think I'm starting to get the hang of it so I've just been practicing turns and the easier jumps...

16 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

That's exactly how I feel 😅 they're much heavier, and simple things like 3turns are so much more laborious bc of the added friction, and nope I absolutely can't spin on them (but I think that's because my "toe pick" isn't low enough on the skate). Oh and they wear down super fast and the toe picks need to be replaced often?

But I think I'm starting to get the hang of it so I've just been practicing turns and the easier jumps...

Hmm, what frames are you using? (I’m using Pic frames)

The ice is still so much better but roller skates are useful to have for practising steps when we can’t travel to the rink I guess! 
I wonder if Yuzu got himself a pair...

20 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Hmm, what frames are you using? (I’m using Pic frames)

The ice is still so much better but roller skates are useful to have for practising steps when we can’t travel to the rink I guess! 
I wonder if Yuzu got himself a pair...

Haha I can't imagine him roller skating for some reason... 😂

I'm also using pic frames, the ones with 4 wheels. The wheels are solid rubber and SO heavy compared to skates.

I find that things are just *harder* on roller skates which I guess is good for training? You can get away with so much on the ice because it's so ~smooth~ (for example, you can prerotate a ton on your jumps, but you just can't do that on the pavement, wherever you plant your toe pick, there's nowhere to go but up). You can't get away with stuff like that on the ice which I guess helps you pinpoint and fix your weaknesses a bit. Also not being fully over your skate just causes your wheels to slip out from under you but on the ice you have edges which are actually quite powerful, I miss them so much haha

14 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Haha I can't imagine him roller skating for some reason... 😂

I'm also using pic frames, the ones with 4 wheels. The wheels are solid rubber and SO heavy compared to skates.

I find that things are just *harder* on roller skates which I guess is good for training? You can get away with so much on the ice because it's so ~smooth~ (for example, you can prerotate a ton on your jumps, but you just can't do that on the pavement, wherever you plant your toe pick, there's nowhere to go but up). You can't get away with stuff like that on the ice which I guess helps you pinpoint and fix your weaknesses a bit. Also not being fully over your skate just causes your wheels to slip out from under you but on the ice you have edges which are actually quite powerful, I miss them so much haha

I know what you mean, I can't pinpoint why but I find it hard to imagine Yuzu on roller skates too XD But considering so many skaters have been trying it out I think it's quite likely he might have... Unless for such high-level skaters it might mess up their ice technique?

And yes I agree that for jumps especially it would help! I think getting used to jumping with such heavy weights on our feet will probably make ice skates feel weightless when we are back on the ice so hopefully it'll make our jumps higher! Although I find it VERY frightening to attempt to axel on them (I still can't do it on the ice so maybe that's why)

Also falling on concrete is so much more painful than falling on ice T_T

I spent the last week away visiting my parents and chilling by the beach in the next city south and there just so happened to be an ice rink there (like 1/3 the size of a regular rink lol) and it was open! I didn't have my skates with me and the ice was so thin that I could feel the foundations in some spots by the boards with my fingers, but I finally got to go skating again. There were only four people on the ice! It was so nice to go for a skate and to basically have the ice to myself but man rental skates are the worst. They weren't even the lace-up ones but those ones with the buckles and who knows when they were last sharpened. I'm not even sure how the ice gets resurfaced there - it looked like it had about a week's worth of skating since it was last done and the only equipment I saw was like a scraper with a broom handle. Makes me think they resurface by hand. 

I'm so excited for the rink close by where I live to open next weekend. You have to book online for the session to keep numbers low, but at least it means the ice won't be crowded so it'll be great for getting back into it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Question to fellow skaters: Do you guys leave your soakers on the blades all the time when you are not skating? Or do you just leave them on for a while after a skate to absorb moisture and then remove them and let your skates air dry? I'm terrible at taking care of my skates so I'm trying to change that...

52 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Question to fellow skaters: Do you guys leave your soakers on the blades all the time when you are not skating? Or do you just leave them on for a while after a skate to absorb moisture and then remove them and let your skates air dry? I'm terrible at taking care of my skates so I'm trying to change that...

I wipe my skates down with a towel and then put the soakers on until the next time I'm skating. If you put the soakers on before you wipe down the blades, they could rust.

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I wipe my skates down with a towel and then put the soakers on until the next time I'm skating. If you put the soakers on before you wipe down the blades, they could rust.

I see, thank you! But won’t the soakers themselves get soggy and all if you leave them on? 

7 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

I see, thank you! But won’t the soakers themselves get soggy and all if you leave them on? 

Yeah that's why you have to dry the blades down (doesn't have to be 100% dry bc usually there's condensation, but mostly dry) with a towel right after skating!

I went skating yesterday! In my skates this time because it was planned and not a spontaneous oh-surprise-there's-an-open-rink-here! thing. My ankles are so weak after so long of nothing lol. It was the weirdest feeling. Dance classes have started up again in my area too, so hopefully some of that and some regular skating will mean I'm back to normal pretty soon. I also made the mistake of going back to the gym for the first time last week (I didn't bother during the time when we had to book a time slot because I am a bit like whimsical about the gym - like I'll decide I'm going to the gym on a given day but I won't stick to a time to go) so my legs and butt are so sore and I couldn't really bend my knees. I am acutely aware of which muscles work when I do every little thing on the ice just because yesterday they were very unhappy. I've never noticed before because I've always maintained a pretty good standard of fitness and flexibility. There were kids everywhere too, which I find scary. Especially older kids racing around in rentals even though they don't know how to stop or avoid running into people, and right through the middle of the rink where I wanted to do stuff out of everyone's way. But whatever. I will take whatever ice time I can get. I'm going again today ha! 

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/yuzuru-hanyu-of-japan-warms-up-prior-to-performing-in-news-photo/1189464463

O.O I just realised in this picture... Yuzu is holding what looks like an Edea spinner??? I never knew he used them! I guess if Yuzu uses it, they must be good!!

I also realised the design he is using seems to be the one with the bees (on the top right of the pic below) Such a bee lover 😂

https://www.google.com.sg/imgres?imgurl=http://edeaskates.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Diapositiva1.png&imgrefurl=https://edeaskates.com/en/2016/07/04/new-spinner/&docid=5DvTWHVRNIZ3tM&tbnid=ZA7r-WSllf1_rM&vet=1&w=1280&h=720&hl=en-gb&source=sh/x/im

Surprised he didn’t get the cat one though, or maybe he has more than one haha

On 7/20/2020 at 1:54 PM, FlyingCamel said:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/yuzuru-hanyu-of-japan-warms-up-prior-to-performing-in-news-photo/1189464463

O.O I just realised in this picture... Yuzu is holding what looks like an Edea spinner??? I never knew he used them! I guess if Yuzu uses it, they must be good!!

I also realised the design he is using seems to be the one with the bees (on the top right of the pic below) Such a bee lover 😂

https://www.google.com.sg/imgres?imgurl=http://edeaskates.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Diapositiva1.png&imgrefurl=https://edeaskates.com/en/2016/07/04/new-spinner/&docid=5DvTWHVRNIZ3tM&tbnid=ZA7r-WSllf1_rM&vet=1&w=1280&h=720&hl=en-gb&source=sh/x/im

Surprised he didn’t get the cat one though, or maybe he has more than one haha

Hehe. I have the exact same one. I bought it in Helsinki when I was there for Worlds 2017. I didn't know Yuzu had the exact same one, lol. But he did say he likes bees ;)

Spinners are so hard to use lol. But theyre good practice for jumps too (as well as spins lol) so I can see why Yuzu has one.

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

Hehe. I have the exact same one. I bought it in Helsinki when I was there for Worlds 2017. I didn't know Yuzu had the exact same one, lol. But he did say he likes bees ;)

Spinners are so hard to use lol. But theyre good practice for jumps too (as well as spins lol) so I can see why Yuzu has one.

I'm just surprised because I don't think I've ever seen him using it? :smiley-whacky115:

And I'm the opposite of you, I find it easier to spin on the spinner than on the ice :sadPooh: :sadPooh:

1 minute ago, FlyingCamel said:

I'm just surprised because I don't think I've ever seen him using it? :smiley-whacky115:

And I'm the opposite of you, I find it easier to spin on the spinner than on the ice :sadPooh: :sadPooh:

Omg same. My problem is that my left outside edge is terrible (a combination of bad technique, not enough muscle, overpronation, and too much turnout making my hips hard to control), so I can't get into spins properly...