Skating on the Planet

On 4/2/2020 at 10:49 PM, yuzuangel said:

i can never get those to work.... 

I think it will take some time!! I took quite a while before I could do upright spins on it and I’m still struggling to do a camel... also somehow back spins seem slightly easier then forward spins on the spinner!

Also I realised the floor you are using it on makes a difference, and I heard some people saying the edea spinner is easier to use because it still works even if your spin travels

I’m now working on fully rotating my axel off the ice, any tips would be welcome 🤗

On 3/28/2020 at 4:09 PM, FlyingCamel said:

Hey, how is everyone practising now that most rinks are closed and most people are staying home?

I've just taken to staring longingly at my skates from across the room. I got new ones just before everything shut so I've only worn these guys a whole 3 times. 

I did just find my pointe shoes today while clearing out boxes of stuff I've been keeping at my parents' place. It's been years though so I don't think my ankles can handle so much as a fouette. So tempting though. Man I miss ballet. But not nearly as much as skating.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I have a question on the flip. Is it supposed to have a deep inside edge? I've watched the ISU simulation video and they said that the ice mark shouldn't be "too curved" and that the jump is "relatively straight". What does relatively straight mean for that inside edge? I've been seeing some people on twitter saying that deep inside edge is the correct takeoff and some people criticizing shallow/slightly inside edges.

I wasn't sure where to post this but since you guys have coaches, I figured here would probably best?? What do coaches teach their students when it comes to the flip edge? What's their take on deep inside edge on a flip?

7 hours ago, mokjakarma said:

Hi guys. I have a question on the flip. Is it supposed to have a deep inside edge? I've watched the ISU simulation video and they said that the ice mark shouldn't be "too curved" and that the jump is "relatively straight". What does relatively straight mean for that inside edge? I've been seeing some people on twitter saying that deep inside edge is the correct takeoff and some people criticizing shallow/slightly inside edges.

I wasn't sure where to post this but since you guys have coaches, I figured here would probably best?? What do coaches teach their students when it comes to the flip edge? What's their take on deep inside edge on a flip?

I don't think skaters usually do a flip on a deep inside edge the way a lutz is done on a deep outside edge. Most skaters do their flip from a 3turn which puts you on a shallow inside edge, which is also how the ISU describes it, I think. I think any inside edge is considered a flip as IMO a flip is more like anything that's not a lutz, although I guess if the edge is unclear there may be calls.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 12:54 AM, yuzuangel said:

I don't think skaters usually do a flip on a deep inside edge the way a lutz is done on a deep outside edge. 

*A real lutz.

The slow demise of the lutz is breaking my heart. :(  Will it even exist after 2 more Olympic cycles? 

• 4 weeks later...

The rink closest to me has opened for its athletes to start training again. I've just moved so I've never actually skated there, but it looks like they'll be opening for limited public sessions in the near future. My skates are perched on the bookshelf by the door, ready to go. 

I ran into one of the directors of my skating club the other day at the grocery store - rumor has it my rink may be reopening some freestyle sessions in the next week or two, max of 10 on the ice. My skates and I are ready whenever they do finally get to reopen. But will I actually remember how to do anything?

I managed to get an hour of ice time yesterday. I didn't even try to jump or spin, just worked on moves for the full hour to re-familiarize myself with the ice. Turns out skating involves some serious muscles. I am so sore today after not being able to skate for three months and then trying to pick things back up where I left off. (Also, my rink is currently doing all levels at the same time, as opposed to the usual low-level sessions I skate, and it was my first experience dodging people working on getting their triples back after the lockdown. Slightly terrifying.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 11:19 AM, river said:

I managed to get an hour of ice time yesterday. I didn't even try to jump or spin, just worked on moves for the full hour to re-familiarize myself with the ice. Turns out skating involves some serious muscles. I am so sore today after not being able to skate for three months and then trying to pick things back up where I left off. (Also, my rink is currently doing all levels at the same time, as opposed to the usual low-level sessions I skate, and it was my first experience dodging people working on getting their triples back after the lockdown. Slightly terrifying.)

Ahh a lot of rinks have reopened around me -- not the one I usually go to, but that might reopen soon. I might not go though, for a while, because cases are actually INCREASING in the US :cursing: and we should probably keep socially distancing for a while. Glad you got some ice time though! 

27 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Ahh a lot of rinks have reopened around me -- not the one I usually go to, but that might reopen soon. I might not go though, for a while, because cases are actually INCREASING in the US :cursing: and we should probably keep socially distancing for a while. Glad you got some ice time though! 

I don't know state by state, but US have recently increased the daily tests from 400.000 to nearly 650.000, an increase of some 60% in tests. So an increase of around 40% in the total numbers of positive cases found, rather means less real cases (as the rate of positive cases lowers, yesterday "only" 6.75%),  and an adequate response to the epidemics, intensive testing being generally crucial to address it.

Though (but I'm not an epidemiologist) this doesn't mean the disease have already become an endemics either. It is on the way.

22 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

I don't know state by state, but US have recently increased the daily tests from 400.000 to nearly 650.000, an increase of some 60% in tests. So an increase of around 40% in the total numbers of positive cases found, rather means less real cases (as the rate of positive cases lowers, yesterday "only" 6.75%),  and an adequate response to the epidemics, intensive testing being generally crucial to address it.

Though (but I'm not an epidemiologist) this doesn't mean the disease have already become an endemics either. It is on the way.

There are areas of the US that are exceeding their ICU capacity, and as we’re reopening, many cities’ hospital admissions are spiking again. Due to the fragmented nature of the US’s COVID-19 response, it’s probably more useful to look at our data on a state-by-state basis. Some states are doing well, some are on the brink of a crisis.

@yuzuangel Fortunately, I live in an area with high testing levels, low prevalence, and aggressive contact tracing. My rink has limited the number of skaters allowed on ice at any time. I was a bit apprehensive about going at first, but it really does seem to be relatively safe for the time being. Obviously, if our cases start spiking, I’ll stop going... but until then, it was such a relief to get back on the ice for a bit.

48 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Ah, no. You shouldn't expect a simple linear relationship between total tests and positive cases because we are not sampling randomly. The most at-risks people were already being tested so it is expected for rates to decrease somewhat as you expand testing to wider, less at-risk populations. It doesn't  mean cases are decreasing globally. Most importantly, hospitalization rates, which are not nearly as dependent on total test number as positive cases are also on the rise in many states. So all indicators point out to a real resurgence in the USA (or at least some states). This is quite serious.

4 minutes ago, river said:

There are areas of the US that are exceeding their ICU capacity, and as we’re reopening, many cities’ hospital admissions are spiking again. Due to the fragmented nature of the US’s COVID-19 response, it’s probably more useful to look at our data on a state-by-state basis. Some states are doing well, some are on the brink of a crisis.

@yuzuangel Fortunately, I live in an area with high testing levels, low prevalence, and aggressive contact tracing. My rink has limited the number of skaters allowed on ice at any time. I was a bit apprehensive about going at first, but it really does seem to be relatively safe for the time being. Obviously, if our cases start spiking, I’ll stop going... but until then, it was such a relief to get back on the ice for a bit.

Ahh I was on mobile, didn't see that you're also in the US. Yeah I didn't mean to imply you shouldn't have gone haha, obviously it depends on where you're from in the US (I live somewhere where things are getting better but are still not great). I'm glad you got ice time though, you should definitely take advantage...rinks are also at risk of going out of business, which sucks. For me, I'm just roller skating instead nowadays :P 

15 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Ahh I was on mobile, didn't see that you're also in the US. Yeah I didn't mean to imply you shouldn't have gone haha, obviously it depends on where you're from in the US (I live somewhere where things are getting better but are still not great). I'm glad you got ice time though, you should definitely take advantage...rinks are also at risk of going out of business, which sucks. For me, I'm just roller skating instead nowadays :P 

I’m not much of a fan of roller skating though... soooo heavy and am I the only one who can’t spin in them??