Skating on the Planet

10 hours ago, Puniyo said:

In my case, unfortunately, the only rink available in my area is an extremely small one. The ice is quite uneven, there are pools of water in all the corners and I always feel pity for the kids who go there just for fun because there are always boys goofing around without looking at people and they sometimes knock kids and we know how a bad fall can really hurt. 

I go there normally during weekdays (maybe one a month) and early morning (so I can have the rink for myself only :P). I just skate in circles and such... LOL. And the rink is quite expensive so I can't afford to deplete my wallet there.:rofl:

Having the rink for yourself is amazing, tho! I only once went to the rink during rgeular hours when there were less people and it was a whole new world! Towards the end the kids were gone and I was flying around!! even though my boots were starting to hurt me! I think I skated close to 3 hours that day lol

Hace 1 hora, liha said:

There's only one skating rink in my city and unfortunately it closes in the summer. Haven't been skating since March now and I really miss it. I used to go once a week (during the weekly student discount hours which means the rink was always packed. Regular hours are too expensive :13877886:)

I don't really have te resources to take classes so I just ask the people at the rink to teach me stuff or correct my technique LOL

I started skating regularily in January so I only skated 3 months in total. I barely managed to learn backwards crossovers but towards the end of the season I started learning some turns and tricks. But just doing some crossovers is so much fun especially getting really fast (and potentially land on my bum lol) is one of the best feelings ever. Can't wait til it's October and I can start skating again :13877886:

If you can't take classes there are many videos on Youtube,  they are really helpful. But from time to time someone has to watch and correct you, especially with jumps. Or sometimes I film myself with my phone to watch later and find out what I am doing wrong. 

I started skating more then a year ago but spent the whole summer out of the rink because I broke my wrist (I fell doing a 3-turn).  I am extra careful now :laughing: but skating is addictive, the more you learn the more you want to skate.

4 minutes ago, Floria said:

If you can't take classes there are many videos on Youtube,  they are really helpful. But from time to time someone has to watch and correct you, especially with jumps. Or sometimes I film myself with my phone to watch later and find out what I am doing wrong. 

I started skating more then a year ago but spent the whole summer out of the rink because I broke my wrist (I fell doing a 3-turn).  I am extra careful now :laughing: but skating is addictive, the more you learn the more you want to skate.

Uhhh sorry to hear you've been injured! Are you self-taught or do you take classes? Do you jump?

There is this one man at our rink who works there but he also comes out to skate. He's well over 50 but does double jumps! Apparently he started skating at 27 and encourages me alot. Thankfully he helps me alot with fixing my technique, otherwise I'd be very lost :embSwan:

27 minutes ago, Floria said:

For the life of me, I can't do 3 turns no matter how many youtube videos I watch! :laughing:

I've always been "on the verge of" learning how to skate, until last year. I have never done ballet or anything that made me particularily aware of my body. I wanted to learn to skate because skating feels like flying and being light and girly and I want to chase these feelings. But, alas, I am in shortage of money and skating is an expensive sport!

I wish I could start a proper course in September - I'll try to save up some money to be able to afford it.

This last year (since december), I've managed to make myself comfortable on the ice, which is a lot for me, because I always fell on my butt. Like, all the time. I still do fall very often, but at least I know how to stop or turn or do forward crossovers or chasses and very basic stuff. 

I've been trying to self-learn through youtube, but, yeah, not having anyone who corrects you is kinda hard. At the end of April, I felt like I couldn't progress on my own anymore. But, of course, living in Rome means that there is no ice rink until September. So we'll see how much I will forget this Summer! :sadPooh:

hace 1 minuto , liha said:

Uhhh sorry to hear you've been injured! Are you self-taught or do you take classes? Do you jump?

There is this one man at our rink who works there but he also comes out to skate. He's well over 50 but does double jumps! Apparently he started skating at 27 and encourages me alot. Thankfully he helps me alot with fixing my technique, otherwise I'd be very lost :embSwan:

I have 1 hour/week skating class in a big group, mostly kids. So our coach doesn't have much time for any of us.  But there are advanced hobby skaters  on the rink and they are always happy to help.   We started one foot spins recently but there will be no more classes till September. So I am trying to learn something myself. I can do waltz jump, half flip and Salchow. I had learned waltz jump when I was a kid and it was easy to remember it and the other ones I learned from YT videos. I was playing around with toe loop but had another scary fall, so for now I am not trying it anymore :laughing:

I think it really helps watching other skaters,  live if possible. I remember myself watching hours of practices at GPF 2016 and I swear that when returned to my home rink  I felt an improvement in my skating skills. I just had the image of how the things should be done imprinted in my head.  

hace 5 minutos , Murieleirum said:

For the life of me, I can't do 3 turns no matter how many youtube videos I watch! :laughing:

I've always been "on the verge of" learning how to skate, until last year. I have never done ballet or anything that made me particularily aware of my body. I wanted to learn to skate because skating feels like flying and being light and girly and I want to chase these feelings. But, alas, I am in shortage of money and skating is an expensive sport!

I wish I could start a proper course in September - I'll try to save up some money to be able to afford it.

This last year (since december), I've managed to make myself comfortable on the ice, which is a lot for me, because I always fell on my butt. Like, all the time. I still do fall very often, but at least I know how to stop or turn or do forward crossovers or chasses and very basic stuff. 

I've been trying to self-learn through youtube, but, yeah, not having anyone who corrects you is kinda hard. At the end of April, I felt like I couldn't progress on my own anymore. But, of course, living in Rome means that there is no ice rink until September. So we'll see how much I will forget this Summer! :sadPooh:

Yes, skating is quite expensive, also in Barcelona. We are lucky to have two rinks all year round except August but one skating session costs about 13-15 euros. But if you are going to classes the entrance is free (classes are quite expensive also, but at least you have somebody who watches you). 

Don't worry, you will remember everything in September, I didn't forget how to skate in 20 years!

1 minute ago, Floria said:

Yes, skating is quite expensive, also in Barcelona. We are lucky to have two rinks all year round except August but one skating session costs about 13-15 euros. But if you are going to classes the entrance is free (classes are quite expensive also, but at least you have somebody who watches you). 

Don't worry, you will remember everything in September, I didn't forget how to skate in 20 years!

I am sure I will have to work on regaining my balance at least a little :laughing: 

I haven't asked around for the price of the classes yet, and I do believe they will be a little pricey. The only skating rink in Rome who's open from Sept. to June costs 6 euros per skating session and 8 in weekends (if you have your own skates). 

I should have tried to talk with groups of skaters going there every weekend, but I felt very shy because they all knew one another and I didn't know anyone. I was scared to ask things like "Do you follow the competitions?? What's your favourite male skater?? Do you like Yuzuru Hanyu??? :embSwan:"

hace 11 minutos , Murieleirum said:

I am sure I will have to work on regaining my balance at least a little :laughing: 

I haven't asked around for the price of the classes yet, and I do believe they will be a little pricey. The only skating rink in Rome who's open from Sept. to June costs 6 euros per skating session and 8 in weekends (if you have your own skates). 

I should have tried to talk with groups of skaters going there every weekend, but I felt very shy because they all knew one another and I didn't know anyone. I was scared to ask things like "Do you follow the competitions?? What's your favourite male skater?? Do you like Yuzuru Hanyu??? :embSwan:"

It was the same for me.  Other skaters seemed to have known each other for years. I was too shy to ask anything. But some of them corrected me even without me asking for help. There are people so enthusiastic about skating that they don't mind  spending some of their precious skating time with newbies. Maybe it is because figure skating is almost non-existent sport in Spain  and they like the idea of new people coming to learn. But I never asked anything about competitions and favourite skaters. Probably because it is Spain and I am supposed to support Javi? But I proudly wear UA when skating :laughing:.

ETA Well, now I remember somebody asking me at the rink about my feelings after WC 2017 and I said I was quite happy with the results (to say the least :smile:).

2 hours ago, liha said:

Having the rink for yourself is amazing, tho! I only once went to the rink during rgeular hours when there were less people and it was a whole new world! Towards the end the kids were gone and I was flying around!! even though my boots were starting to hurt me! I think I skated close to 3 hours that day lol

I normally only skate for one hour but that day I think I was close to two hours to more... enjoy the rink while it's empty... haha!

1 hour ago, Floria said:

Ohh, I can't do jumps and spins and such. I'm really an amateur in the literal sense of the world. I just glide from one side to another, feeling the wind and trying not to fall :rofl:

16 minutes ago, Floria said:

ETA Well, now I remember somebody asking me at the rink about my feelings after WC 2017 and I said I was quite happy with the results (to say the least :smile:).

I bet they thought you were going to protest and say Javi was robbed :laughing: 

17 minutes ago, Floria said:

There are people so enthusiastic about skating that they don't mind  spending some of their precious skating time with newbies.

Yes, this was another big reason why I didn't approach them... I didn't want them to feel like they had to help me even if they just wanted to skate and do their own business.

But one time, a skating teacher (a young woman) helped me with my crossovers - she taught me how to do them while turning, using my edges, instead of doing them straight with flat edges. It's the prettiest thing I've learned so far :68556365:

28 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

hahah same! Everyone seems to know each other and it's so difficult to get in between. I only once mustered the courage to ask this one person a question (he taught me wrong, but that's another issue) but it made me so nervous!

Seems like most people at my rink come from a hockey background tho :/ only few do spins and such (there's only one person doing jumps at all)

hace 3 minutos , Murieleirum said:

But one time, a skating teacher (a young woman) helped me with my crossovers - she taught me how to do them while turning, using my edges, instead of doing them straight with flat edges. It's the prettiest thing I've learned so far :68556365:

Our coach keeps saying to us that crossovers are everything in skating. We are doing like 20 minutes of crossovers each time to warm up. She is very strict wtih edges and especially with bending properly our knees, so now when I watch Nathan Chen doing crossovers I want to cry, he wouldn't pass our final tests :smiley-laughing021: .  

hace 8 minutos , liha said:

@Floria impressive that you learned the jumps yourself!

On a few occasions I just tried to "hop" while skating and I barely left the ice :embSwan:

So I've been trying to gain some leg strength off-ice!

Well, to be honest I barely leave the ice with Salchow, too scared :eeking: 

ETA  Everything that Yuzu  does on ice seems so effortless. But when you try to repeat it you obviously fail. There is a video of one of his warmups where he was doing quite simple moves repeatedly, like crossover and a 3-turn on one foot then another. I thought I could do it , tried it and ended with my face on the ice in 2 seconds :smiley-laughing021:.  

13 minutes ago, Floria said:

Our coach keeps saying to us that crossovers are everything in skating. We are doing like 20 minutes of crossovers each time to warm up. She is very strict wtih edges and especially with bending properly our knees, so now when I watch Nathan Chen doing crossovers I want to cry, he wouldn't pass our final tests :smiley-laughing021: .  

Meanwhile, Yuzu looks divine even when just doing crossovers :7938863:

Actually, crossovers are much harder than I thought they would be :13877886: I can't seem to be able to keep my outside edge long enough when skating backwards