Skating on the Planet

I'm about to murder my rink's pro shop. I leave them clear instructions on what to do, they tell me they can do it in one week. then they call me the day before it's supposed to be fixed telling me they can't do it. this has happened so many times.

I just want to skate on blades that are properly aligned for my feet. is that too much to ask? :yznotimpressed: also they can't even tell when edges are uneven

edit: my coach and I spent a looong time fixing it. after almost 11 months of skating I finally have boots that fit and blades that are aligned right for my feet :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: everything is so much easier :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

• 4 weeks later...

I landed a loop! Although looking at the takeoff and landing tracings, it travelled about 6 inches... or 15 cm for those of you who use metric. More of a loop hop than a loop jump, really.  :embSwan:

Also, my coach may have discovered the depths of my Yuzu obsession tonight - I was talking to another skater while waiting on the Zamboni and she rather loudly pointed out that the home screen of my phone is a picture I took at ACI. My coach overheard and (correctly) assumed that her skater who started in 2018, has Yuzu as her phone's background, and is going to ACI, SCI, and Worlds this season just miiiiight be a fanyu. :68468287:

33 minutes ago, river said:

I landed a loop! Although looking at the takeoff and landing tracings, it travelled about 6 inches... or 15 cm for those of you who use metric. More of a loop hop than a loop jump, really.  :embSwan:

Also, my coach may have discovered the depths of my Yuzu obsession tonight - I was talking to another skater while waiting on the Zamboni and she rather loudly pointed out that the home screen of my phone is a picture I took at ACI. My coach overheard and (correctly) assumed that her skater who started in 2018, has Yuzu as her phone's background, and is going to ACI, SCI, and Worlds this season just miiiiight be a fanyu. :68468287:

nice! loops don't travel as much compared to toe jumps, i think :D

• 2 weeks later...

I somehow landed a flip last night... my half flips were feeling good so I gave it a try. I probably tried around 15-20 tries, most of which were two-footed landings. But there was one that was actually okay? It was fully rotated with a running edge out. Of course, none of my friends were looking. I probably won’t land another one for another month or so, though. It felt like such a fluke. :14066882:

• 1 month later...

I've been struggling to spin for literally months now and my spins have completely plateaued. My new coach (old one and I couldn't find a time that worked for both of us) took one look at my gear and told me I am massively underbladed - apparently the blades I've been using barely have a spin rocker at all. (Although there was a former sectionals competitor at my rink goofing off and spinning in rentals the other day, so... it's possible to spin in anything, he's just a lot better at this than I am.)

So now I have an appointment tomorrow to get new blades with her skate tech (who works with a lot of the international competitors around here, so I trust his judgment). She said that given my skating style, love of jumping, and the fact that my feet are done growing, she thinks I should just spring for either a Pattern 99 or one of its clones (she and the tech both looooooove the Matrix line, so maybe the Elite?). Part of me is oddly pleased that my coach wants me on the same blade profile that Yuzu uses. Although she's already warned me to expect to be tripping over the toepick for a while, but in the end, she swears that I'm going to love what that massive toepick does for my jumps. Just maybe no spirals until I settle into the new gear.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 8:56 PM, river said:

I've been struggling to spin for literally months now and my spins have completely plateaued. My new coach (old one and I couldn't find a time that worked for both of us) took one look at my gear and told me I am massively underbladed - apparently the blades I've been using barely have a spin rocker at all. (Although there was a former sectionals competitor at my rink goofing off and spinning in rentals the other day, so... it's possible to spin in anything, he's just a lot better at this than I am.)

So now I have an appointment tomorrow to get new blades with her skate tech (who works with a lot of the international competitors around here, so I trust his judgment). She said that given my skating style, love of jumping, and the fact that my feet are done growing, she thinks I should just spring for either a Pattern 99 or one of its clones (she and the tech both looooooove the Matrix line, so maybe the Elite?). Part of me is oddly pleased that my coach wants me on the same blade profile that Yuzu uses. Although she's already warned me to expect to be tripping over the toepick for a while, but in the end, she swears that I'm going to love what that massive toepick does for my jumps. Just maybe no spirals until I settle into the new gear.

Yay! I have pattern 99 revolutions (the same ones Yuzu has) and I love them, but supposedly they are a tad harder to spin in than other types of blades. But spinning in shitty blades or those blades that come attach to cheap(er) skates seems impossible. And I can't spin on rentals at all because the blades are always so much shorter than I'm used to.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:56 AM, river said:

I have matrix elites! I love them, they're great. My edges immediately felt more secure and the enlarged toepick makes it easy to get height with less effort. Tbh I didn't feel like the transition was difficult at all. Didn't even trip on the toepicks after the first 5 minutes. I have found the toepicks to be a problem on spins, but tbh I'm just bad at spins in general so I'm not sure having smaller toepicks would help that much

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, river said:

My coach, introducing me to some of her other students: "This is river. She's testing pre-bronze and bronze moves in March."

My face: :english1:

Somehow I've missed the memo until now that I'm doing bronze MITF as well. I should probably start practicing those patterns more, then.

nice! i just tested those

(do you mean prebronze freestyle)

19 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

nice! i just tested those

(do you mean prebronze freestyle)

No, she wants me to do prebronze and bronze moves before we start working on freestyle. The patterns are fine, I can do them with a reasonable amount of speed and power, and my coach says I'll pass. The only problem is that the forward circle eight confuses me on the waltz eight and so occasionally for the second pattern of the waltz eight I step onto a LFI instead of an RFO... :facepalm:

• 5 weeks later...

Great to see peers (mostly predecessors?) here! It's so inspiring to learn about your progress through the various posts. My coach suggested me to take the pre-bronze MITF test in April, but I'm still struggling with my three turns and backward edges. It has been months since I started working on the three turns but they are never going smoothly, especially the LFO to LBI part...guess I will focus on those for now :sadPooh:

1 minute ago, PeachMoscato said:

Great to see peers (mostly predecessors?) here! It's so inspiring to learn about your progress through the various posts. My coach suggested me to take the pre-bronze MITF test in April, but I'm still struggling with my three turns and backward edges. It has been months since I started working on the three turns but they are never going smoothly, especially the LFO to LBI part...guess I will focus on those for now :sadPooh:

I have trouble with the mohawk in the figure eight crossovers. Why is it on the first adult test??? And why do I have so much trouble with it? You'd think mohawks would be easy for me, good turnout is literally the only thing I've got going for me :headdesk2: