Skating on the Planet

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

scissor analogy is interesting, i can totally see that! will try it... 

nice, i want to try a layback but my upright spins are weak. my spinning foot is always turned out 90 degrees from my hips...idk why. i don't know how to fix it.

Laybacks are evil....you have to snap to bend back and down all in one motion. Apparently when starting it, there's a point where you will start to feel the pull to bend back and you have to bend back in one move at that point, else you screw up. It's dizzy as heck. Coach says it's less dizzy if you actually fully bend back, but if you're in the middle (where I am), yes, it can get a "little" dizzy. And it's so easy to lean too much on your LBI edge that you...lean inwards and out of the spin. 

90 degrees from your hips? Hmm... have you had a coach or someone spot you when you step into the curve for the spin? I mean the LFO curve, sounds like something is odd there-an alignment issue between hips/knees/ankle or possible the curve being off?

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm at my first non-local competition. I'm part of a group thing my coach does every year. It's Nationals Showcase, which is less impressive than it sounds because we qualified automatically (no other teams from the Skating Club of NYC entered for our category), and I'm the oldest skater in the team, next oldest is 16, but it's still kind of exciting. It's funny, though, because I look like a 12-year-old, so I fit right in. It's kind of embarrassing :redface:

The ice is different from what I'm used to, though, so I hope I don't screw up my (very easy) elements.

But anyway, this is surprisingly fun. For me, that is. I'm very amused at the coaches' attempts to control the kids. It's hilarious, and it makes me soooooo glad I don't work with children :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

So sometimes we have someone join our adult skating group who has skated professionally since she was pretty young  (competed on national level, now retired) and we were discussing what we pay attention to and the details we try to fix about our elements and she was just like „wow I never had to think about that stuff“ and now I can’t stop thinking about that. life‘s so  u n f a i r 

1 hour ago, guitarist said:

So I'm at my first non-local competition. I'm part of a group thing my coach does every year. It's Nationals Showcase, which is less impressive than it sounds because we qualified automatically (no other teams from the Skating Club of NYC entered for our category), and I'm the oldest skater in the team, next oldest is 16, but it's still kind of exciting. It's funny, though, because I look like a 12-year-old, so I fit right in. It's kind of embarrassing :redface:

The ice is different from what I'm used to, though, so I hope I don't screw up my (very easy) elements.

But anyway, this is surprisingly fun. For me, that is. I'm very amused at the coaches' attempts to control the kids. It's hilarious, and it makes me soooooo glad I don't work with children :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

That sounds like so much fun. What are you performing? 

Have fun!!!!

On 7/21/2019 at 11:32 AM, Xen said:

90 degrees from your hips? Hmm... have you had a coach or someone spot you when you step into the curve for the spin? I mean the LFO curve, sounds like something is odd there-an alignment issue between hips/knees/ankle or possible the curve being off?

My hips are just super open; when I turn out my right hip it causes my balance to shift a lot...I don't think it has much to do with my entry as it happens no matter what entry I use or even if I do the spin as the second spin of a combination. I went back to doing a few upright spins without crossing where I don't have this problem AS much and I realize that I close my hips more as I pull the foot in, which I don't do in the scratch spin. So I want to try that but just cross the leg in the end....tomorrow 😁

18 hours ago, guitarist said:

nice! where is it held? what's your music? post your dress/costume :D 

18 hours ago, robin said:

That sounds like so much fun. What are you performing? 

Have fun!!!!

It's a weird number, starts with Thunderstruck and then switches to Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Makes sense in context. Sort of. It's a story about climate change, ends with Summer. My coach choreographed it. It's kind of weird, but I love the ACDC part, and the summer bit looks cool now that everyone is doing it in time.

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

nice! where is it held? what's your music? post your dress/costume :D 

The Middle of Nowhere, WA. Wenatchee, which I didn't even know existed. The locals are very surprised there's a national competition going on here :rofl3:

I'm far too embarrassed to post the dress, but it's blue. And since it's ice theatre, we also have some props. In a way, this whole event feels like competitive galas. Even the low levels are fun to watch, it's all very creative. 

On 8/3/2019 at 11:01 AM, guitarist said:

It's a weird number, starts with Thunderstruck and then switches to Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Makes sense in context. Sort of. It's a story about climate change, ends with Summer. My coach choreographed it. It's kind of weird, but I love the ACDC part, and the summer bit looks cool now that everyone is doing it in time.

The Middle of Nowhere, WA. Wenatchee, which I didn't even know existed. The locals are very surprised there's a national competition going on here :rofl3:

I'm far too embarrassed to post the dress, but it's blue. And since it's ice theatre, we also have some props. In a way, this whole event feels like competitive galas. Even the low levels are fun to watch, it's all very creative. 

Noooo I wanna see :chase:

I made my first skating dress recently. It's not tied to any program idea or anything so it's just a practice dress. I tried skating in it twice and thought it would be weird but it actually feels great, especially on a hot summer day. You feel colder just skating around but you can always just put on a jacket. Swipe for the video.

• 3 weeks later...

No one has posted in this thread for ages :sad4: is it because all of your rinks are closed?

How are things going for everyone? My progress has slowed down a bit because I've only been able to skate busy sessions lately, plus I've just been feeling really under the weather. But I get to go back to low traffic morning sessions again next week, so yay! (Although my progress will be stalled for another week and a half as I travel for ACI--worth it though.) I've discovered I'm much better at jumping than spinning. I mean, I'm a newbie at both, but I notice that I jump as well as a lot of people who are wayyy ahead of me when it comes to spinning. Meanwhile, I'm worse at spinning than a lot of people around my skills in other areas :13877886: It's interesting how differently people progress. 

I think I'm going to buy new boots soon because I'm pretty sure mine are too big for me. They don't really lock to my heels after the first 15 minutes, but if I try to tie them tighter they hurt my arches. Plus, it feels like there's a LOT of toe space. (Ironically the person who fit my current boots tried to get me in an even bigger size! wtf) It wasn't as big of a problem when I was doing easier stuff, but it feels kind of unsafe now. I can feel my foot getting knocked out of position when I land my half flip, which is yikes. Also probably why my left ankle keeps hurting.

• 2 weeks later...

@shanshani yeah I don't have any lessons rn and while there's technically public skating once a week I have only been able to go once so far and it's never quite that productive anyways cause it's always so full ow rowdy hockey boys and kids :wut:

I did get my blades sharpened differently and I'll get to test that out on Sunday so we'll see how that goes :embSwan:

Also, I'm trying to make myself do more off-ice exercises but I am very lazy so I'm not too consistent with it..

On 9/12/2019 at 8:25 AM, axelnojutsu said:

@shanshani yeah I don't have any lessons rn and while there's technically public skating once a week I have only been able to go once so far and it's never quite that productive anyways cause it's always so full ow rowdy hockey boys and kids :wut:

I did get my blades sharpened differently and I'll get to test that out on Sunday so we'll see how that goes :embSwan:

Also, I'm trying to make myself do more off-ice exercises but I am very lazy so I'm not too consistent with it..

I got new boots and blades so I'll also be testing that out. Good luck to both of us haha

ACI hype has let me finally get over one rotation on a two foot jump on land! Axel, here I come! ...well after toeloop, salchow, loop, flip, and lutz  :13877886:This is the only form of off ice exercise I can be relied upon to do once in a while lol. That and SE exercises

On 8/29/2019 at 6:48 AM, shanshani said:

No one has posted in this thread for ages :sad4: is it because all of your rinks are closed?

How are things going for everyone? My progress has slowed down a bit because I've only been able to skate busy sessions lately, plus I've just been feeling really under the weather. But I get to go back to low traffic morning sessions again next week, so yay! (Although my progress will be stalled for another week and a half as I travel for ACI--worth it though.) I've discovered I'm much better at jumping than spinning. I mean, I'm a newbie at both, but I notice that I jump as well as a lot of people who are wayyy ahead of me when it comes to spinning. Meanwhile, I'm worse at spinning than a lot of people around my skills in other areas :13877886: It's interesting how differently people progress. 

I think I'm going to buy new boots soon because I'm pretty sure mine are too big for me. They don't really lock to my heels after the first 15 minutes, but if I try to tie them tighter they hurt my arches. Plus, it feels like there's a LOT of toe space. (Ironically the person who fit my current boots tried to get me in an even bigger size! wtf) It wasn't as big of a problem when I was doing easier stuff, but it feels kind of unsafe now. I can feel my foot getting knocked out of position when I land my half flip, which is yikes. Also probably why my left ankle keeps hurting.

Did you go skating at sixteen mile sports arena? I went there yesterday with rental boots. I tried a really small waltz jump and felt like I almost broke my ankle. It's amazing how much you take padding for granted when you have it.

7 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Did you go skating at sixteen mile sports arena? I went there yesterday with rental boots. I tried a really small waltz jump and felt like I almost broke my ankle. It's amazing how much you take padding for granted when you have it.

yeah! I skated on my new skates, not rentals though. It was WEIRD. The skating shop I went to convinced me to buy Apex Elite blades at a discount (same profile as pattern 99s) and a 1. holy **** that toepick is huge. It took a serious adjustment to stop toe scraping and the picks on my old blades weren't small. Fortunately adjusting wasn't too hard. 2. I felt way lower to the ground than I'm used to. 3. My edges felt incredibly secure. It did not feel possible to slip off an edge or really to fall at all. 4. Spins improved almost immediately. Took one or two tries to find the spin rocker, but at least it has one, unlike my old blades :13877886: I heard the P99 profile is hardish to spin on, but it's soooo much better than Aspire XPs lol

I did a few baby waltzes too, haha. They went fine, though I was pretty timid due to the testing new boots/blades thing. Did a baby half flip as well. Honestly, I'm kind of excited for GIANT TOEPICKS. I love jumping.

I was also pretty relieved that the boots I bought (Jackson Premieres) didn't appear too stiff for me. I didn't have a problem bending my ankles or anything. My skate fitter worried that they might be because I'm still a beginner, but he recommended against Debuts and I didn't want to get another pair of Freestyles because tbh I'm not very light and I wanted my boots to last a while.

The only thing is that I think my right blade needs to be re-mounted. Whenever I did one foot glides it wanted very badly to veer inside. I do kind of wonder if there's a technique/muscle imbalance issue on my end since I had a similar (but milder) problem with my last set of boots, but at the same time it should not feel like my boot is twisting my foot. Unfortunately I have to fly back to Hong Kong in an hour and I haven't been able to find a good skate tech that I can communicate easily with there yet. So good luck getting them adjusted, me :13877886:

haha, this is less about skating at sixteen mile, and more about me rambling about my new gear setup. uh, I got to walk through the same halls Yuzu walked through! Took a couple of backstage pics of Rink 1 

1 hour ago, shanshani said:

yeah! I skated on my new skates, not rentals though. It was WEIRD. The skating shop I went to convinced me to buy Apex Elite blades at a discount (same profile as pattern 99s) and a 1. holy **** that toepick is huge. It took a serious adjustment to stop toe scraping and the picks on my old blades weren't small. Fortunately adjusting wasn't too hard. 2. I felt way lower to the ground than I'm used to. 3. My edges felt incredibly secure. It did not feel possible to slip off an edge or really to fall at all. 4. Spins improved almost immediately. Took one or two tries to find the spin rocker, but at least it has one, unlike my old blades :13877886: I heard the P99 profile is hardish to spin on, but it's soooo much better than Aspire XPs lol

I did a few baby waltzes too, haha. They went fine, though I was pretty timid due to the testing new boots/blades thing. Did a baby half flip as well. Honestly, I'm kind of excited for GIANT TOEPICKS. I love jumping.

I was also pretty relieved that the boots I bought (Jackson Premieres) didn't appear too stiff for me. I didn't have a problem bending my ankles or anything. My skate fitter worried that they might be because I'm still a beginner, but he recommended against Debuts and I didn't want to get another pair of Freestyles because tbh I'm not very light and I wanted my boots to last a while.

The only thing is that I think my right blade needs to be re-mounted. Whenever I did one foot glides it wanted very badly to veer inside. I do kind of wonder if there's a technique/muscle imbalance issue on my end since I had a similar (but milder) problem with my last set of boots, but at the same time it should not feel like my boot is twisting my foot. Unfortunately I have to fly back to Hong Kong in an hour and I haven't been able to find a good skate tech that I can communicate easily with there yet. So good luck getting them adjusted, me :13877886:

haha, this is less about skating at sixteen mile, and more about me rambling about my new gear setup. uh, I got to walk through the same halls Yuzu walked through! Took a couple of backstage pics of Rink 1 

woohoo! congrats on the new boots. if you are an adult skater you don't need to go with the more basic skates especially if you're going to learn jumps. adult skaters can definitely "level up" based on height/weight/how much you're jumping etc.

i got the p99s and yeah they are a bit difficult to spin in or maybe i'm just bad at spinning.

if your blade is pulling you to one side they definitely need to be remounted. if you have a hand drill you could try to do it yourself >_>

the ice at sixteen mile looked so great, i wish i brought my skates. plus if you skate you can see the skaters doing their warmups and walk right by them :D i saw evgenia and rika warming while i was skating on Friday. i need to skate more but im not in a mood to skate rn :(

On 9/15/2019 at 10:15 PM, yuzuangel said:

woohoo! congrats on the new boots. if you are an adult skater you don't need to go with the more basic skates especially if you're going to learn jumps. adult skaters can definitely "level up" based on height/weight/how much you're jumping etc.

i got the p99s and yeah they are a bit difficult to spin in or maybe i'm just bad at spinning.

if your blade is pulling you to one side they definitely need to be remounted. if you have a hand drill you could try to do it yourself >_>

the ice at sixteen mile looked so great, i wish i brought my skates. plus if you skate you can see the skaters doing their warmups and walk right by them :D i saw evgenia and rika warming while i was skating on Friday. i need to skate more but im not in a mood to skate rn :(

mounting it myself sounds scary haha. I gave it to the shop and now I have to cross my fingers and hope for the best. I was more forceful with communicating what I wanted so hopefully they just follow what I said. sometimes I feel like they don't trust me because I'm a beginner skater, but I've been right about all my equipment needs and issues so far

I looooove the toepicks. I definitely jump higher with them, my takeoffs feel more secure, they're just great. plus you could probably murder someone with them. giant toe picks for the win

the ice at sixteen mile was definitely good. was look at all the little holes and gouges and uneven spots and wetness on the ice at my home rink today and thinking about how crappy the ice is here by comparison :13877886: