Skating on the Planet

23 minutes ago, shanshani said:

last time I tried to get them sharpened the skate shop just handed the skates back to me after a week and told me it didn't need it, so I've been feeling kind of sheepish about going back without my coach's say so:13877886:when I asked two weeks ago he told me they were fine and beginners don't need to sharpen as often as more advanced skaters, but they really don't feel fine any more. Plus I don't think he's noticed my habit of doing t-stops from high speeds, which I imagine is part of why my right outside edge in particular feels like it's starting to go. I guess I'll suck it up, bring them in today or tomorrow and make sure the shop actually sharpens them this time.

Eh? o_O Just say you can feel a difference, and also mention you are doing more turns and advanced stops which require more edge use. Oh, and jumps, once you get into jumps the wear can be felt (says everyone who can't hold an edge at take off).

I always sharpen mine immediately even after purchase, ever since my skate tech pointed out to me how even out of the box at times the blades are not sharpened correctly (as in they have uneven edges, or uneven hollow depth).

I just want to add that the first session on sharpened blades (after 5 months of no sharpening) I realized I wasn't actually regressing and that I am not such a terrible skater after all. my jumps got better, my turns got better, everything was good in the world. (Now I would love to get them sharpened once a week but good thing I am lazy.)

Also have I mentioned I am working on axels because I have no fear and don't love my body enough?

7 hours ago, robin said:

Also have I mentioned I am working on axels because I have no fear and don't love my body enough?

Please try them on land first....for the sake of my sanity and heart.

On 4/17/2019 at 7:25 AM, Xen said:

Please try them on land first....for the sake of my sanity and heart.

Oh I‘ve been doing that for a while, also doing lots of prep with my waltz jumps 

Well this is how they‘ve been looking lol. Not tight enough and landed forward but could be worse 

Welp, I finally christened the ice today!  :)  Overall it was a good session; I've been working on bending my knees more and doing deeper swizzles while alternating scooter pushes on either foot.  My coach is prepping me for one-foot glides, so I'm trying to alternate briefly lifting my foot and tapping it against my other ankle while gliding (very very slowly haha), but it's still such a weird feeling.  I think it's a matter of finding my center and just practicing over and over.

6 hours ago, Coquelicot said:

Welp, I finally christened the ice today!  :)  Overall it was a good session; I've been working on bending my knees more and doing deeper swizzles while alternating scooter pushes on either foot.  My coach is prepping me for one-foot glides, so I'm trying to alternate briefly lifting my foot and tapping it against my other ankle while gliding (very very slowly haha), but it's still such a weird feeling.  I think it's a matter of finding my center and just practicing over and over.

Yup. And then you have to repeat the process again for all the edges *glares at backwards edges, which I have practiced so much*

My skating rink called me and told me they wouldn’t be able to get my skates sharpened until May 4th. :13877886: Gonna go visit some other rinks and inquire about skate sharpening services—that is way too long to be skating on blunt blades. 

Some of the people in my class were messing around with moves after our lesson last week. Someone mentioned an Ina Bauer and said she couldn't do it. So I gave it a try and managed a tiny, back leg not very far back at all, definitely no layback Ina Bauer! One of the coaches saw it and said all of my Hanyu watching is paying off :space:

(Also, toe loops are evil. Evil, I tell you. The human body is not meant to move that way.)

Ugh I hate how blunt my blades are and I hate how the skate shop still hasn't sharpened them. I looked at my RFO 3 turn tracing and the gouges are like...hilariously wide. And it feels more like my right outside edge is grinding against the ice than gliding. The only edge that feels safe is my left outside edge. But I have class today so I guess I'm still gonna skate on these things.

Lol I can literally make my inside edges slip without scraping. fml

edit: well I guess the upshot of today is that I learned that I can do back outside mohawks...better than my forward inside mohawks. :13877886:why am I so bad at these. they're like the first step you learn but my back inside mohawks, back outside mohawks, and BI-FO choctaws are all better. Also inside 3 turns are the devil. My coach taught them to me today but I definitely did not learn them. I guess I just have to suck it up and fall a few times. Maybe they'll be better when my edges aren't so worn down

Well guess who just bought new skates and actually got her foot measured properly so that the boots are made especially for their shape... no more skating in pain and getting distracted by it. I wanna get it going! 

I'm finally starting to feel comfortable on the ice!  My scooter pushes are looking a lot better, and I'm bending my knees more.  We're starting to work on one-foot glides now, which is equal parts terrifying and thrilling (I imagine this is what learning new elements will always be like, haha).  I actually picked up backward swizzles pretty quickly, but I get nervous about bumping into someone, so I've been practicing by the boards.  I'm really enjoying skating so far, and I feel like every time I go, I get a little better.

Anyone have recommendations for skate bags? So far I've been using a tote bag, but I want something sturdy that will protect my skates better.

2 hours ago, Coquelicot said:

Anyone have recommendations for skate bags? So far I've been using a tote bag, but I want something sturdy that will protect my skates better.

I just put mine in a backpack, actually. I used to have a tote but since skates are so heavy, it wasn't comfortable so I needed a backpack. 

6 hours ago, Coquelicot said:

I use a little hard carry on luggage suitcase, around 20 inches, kinda like Yuzu. =)

20 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I just put mine in a backpack, actually. I used to have a tote but since skates are so heavy, it wasn't comfortable so I needed a backpack. 

16 hours ago, Xen said:

I use a little hard carry on luggage suitcase, around 20 inches, kinda like Yuzu. =)

Thanks for the ideas!  My go-to backpack is too small, but I think I have a bigger one somewhere that I could use for my skates.