Skating on the Planet

10 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I bought them!! I took them a number less than my actual foot number, they are pretty tight all around except the ankle area, you are right! I guess I will have to try and tight them tighter and tighter the more I skate in them. I think I will wear them at home a little before I go to the rink c: I also bought cute Penguin Plushy blade soft covers, they reminded me of Cha, they had the same hockey hat! hahaha <3 

I cannot wait to go try them... they are so very pretty, and I love reading 'Edea' on them... I think the blade is not a high quality blade, but I don't need that for now. In a couple of months I will get it sharpened. 

Yaaaay have fun with them!! It helps wearing them at home with blade guards when breaking in. 

Also watch this video if you haven’t already, there’s a very specific way to lace Edeas: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xMd3EpUSFcY

20 minutes ago, robin said:

Yaaaay have fun with them!! It helps wearing them at home with blade guards when breaking in. 

Also watch this video if you haven’t already, there’s a very specific way to lace Edeas: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xMd3EpUSFcY

Ooooh thank you so much!! Just the other day I was going crazy over not being able to tie my boots at all xD I feel like I never have enough strenght to tie them properly in that middle part. I don't wanna invest in a lace puller for now though. 

23 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Ooooh thank you so much!! Just the other day I was going crazy over not being able to tie my boots at all xD I feel like I never have enough strenght to tie them properly in that middle part. I don't wanna invest in a lace puller for now though. 

I got a super painful blister on my finger yesterday and it burst... I think I am finally going to cave and spend 6 euro on a glorified hook.

1 hour ago, Murieleirum said:

Lol I got one but...I...have no idea how to use it? :64341262:

On 9/16/2018 at 11:07 PM, axelnojutsu said:

I just had trouble getting up from my seat on the bus :english1:

Can’t remember the last time I was this beat after practice, my legs are jelly

How long did you skate?

The last time I experienced that, I was doing 1 hour of crossovers.

3 hours ago, Xen said:

How long did you skate?

The last time I experienced that, I was doing 1 hour of crossovers.

about 1 and a half hours, I actually left early because I felt that I was too tired to get anything more done

I was trying to wrangle power pulls into submission so I feel like that's probably what did it since I spent most of the session on them

Still can't do it properly but backwards right is making progress :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

1 minute ago, axelnojutsu said:

about 1 and a half hours, I actually left early because I felt that I was too tired to get anything more done

I was trying to wrangle power pulls into submission so I feel like that's probably what did it since I spent most of the session on them

Still can't do it properly but backwards right is making progress :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Ah, yes that would tire out your legs. But yay, progress is good.

Yesterday was so hard! I had new skates but I didn't try them at all during the weekend - plus they weren't sharpened, so I felt sooo unstable, and from 30 minutes in my feet started to hurt bad and I was just trying really hard to ignore that. 

I did mostly lemons/swizzles and squatting, front and backwards (killed me), and then some crossovers and some spins. The harder thing was watching the other ladies doing all the singles. I am so envious, I want to improve and do that too, but I felt so unstable and suffering on the new skates, it was discouraging! 

The only good note is that I am starting to understand how to enter a spin, so I can practice that a lot on the weekend. 

But it's so hard to feel relegated to learn all the basics while the others feel so confident and free to do all the jumps... I wanna jump! *cries like a baby* 

53 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Yesterday was so hard! I had new skates but I didn't try them at all during the weekend - plus they weren't sharpened, so I felt sooo unstable, and from 30 minutes in my feet started to hurt bad and I was just trying really hard to ignore that. 

I did mostly lemons/swizzles and squatting, front and backwards (killed me), and then some crossovers and some spins. The harder thing was watching the other ladies doing all the singles. I am so envious, I want to improve and do that too, but I felt so unstable and suffering on the new skates, it was discouraging! 

The only good note is that I am starting to understand how to enter a spin, so I can practice that a lot on the weekend. 

But it's so hard to feel relegated to learn all the basics while the others feel so confident and free to do all the jumps... I wanna jump! *cries like a baby* 

Uh, you need to sharpen the blades girl! It makes a difference, don't rely on the factory default sharpening. I've had my blades' factor default sharpening measured before by my skate tech, and he said the 2 were at different depths.

For new skates when you are still breaking them in- go on for about 10-20 mins , and you may opt to leave the top hook alone when lacing. Do simple movements, then go off ice and rest a bit with the boots unlaced. Then re-lace and go back on ice for 10-20 mins. It may take you a while to break them in depending on how fast you adjust.

Also, if you are feeling pain in your feet, check where the pain points are and speak with your coach. It might be normal pain you get from breaking in skates, but it may not. I had a pair of skates before where I felt no pain, except when I landed jumps where my right toe hurt. I thought it was normal, until I started getting a purple bruise under my toenail. Turns out the boot might have been half a size too small in the toebox region, and the top was pressing on my toenail. And my right toes were curling up a bit to fit. So I had to then switch out into 1 size larger.

Videos (not all tips applicable):

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Uh, you need to sharpen the blades girl! It makes a difference, don't rely on the factory default sharpening. I've had my blades' factor default sharpening measured before by my skate tech, and he said the 2 were at different depths.

For new skates when you are still breaking them in- go on for about 10-20 mins , and you may opt to leave the top hook alone when lacing. Do simple movements, then go off ice and rest a bit with the boots unlaced. Then re-lace and go back on ice for 10-20 mins. It may take you a while to break them in depending on how fast you adjust.

Also, if you are feeling pain in your feet, check where the pain points are and speak with your coach. It might be normal pain you get from breaking in skates, but it may not. I had a pair of skates before where I felt no pain, except when I landed jumps where my right toe hurt. I thought it was normal, until I started getting a purple bruise under my toenail. Turns out the boot might have been half a size too small in the toebox region, and the top was pressing on my toenail. And my right toes were curling up a bit to fit. So I had to then switch out into 1 size larger.

Videos (not all tips applicable):

I will do the rest-skate-rest-skate this weekend, since during the lesson I don't really feel like taking a break. It's 50 minutes once a week, so it's really precious time :c in fact, I was training with another girl my level and she was talking with the teacher about being tired and having pains, and I was there like "gimmie next exercise! gimmie gimmie!" xD

The pain was really intense for that reason (no breaks, wanting to exploit all the time), but today I have no pain at all, especially no ankle pain (this might be because I didn't tie the boots properly, or I didn't work on my ankles/knees properly, or both probably xDDD). So I do believe everything is pretty normal. But yeah, it felt so weird walking on the rink with the blades in this condition. I felt like I had no balance at all. 

7 hours ago, axelnojutsu said:

That sounds like a lot of power pulls TT and power pulls are really advanced moves (I'm not sure if only the US uses moves in the field testing standards but it's on the silver level, which is above pre-bronze and bronze so it's like Level 3) so that's amazing :tumblr_inline_mm2wnxgTbV1qz4rgp: