Skating on the Planet

5 minutes ago, robin said:

Oh I must have remembered the rocker thing the other way around then. I actually have a problem of catching my toe picks all the time when I spin so the Professionals are probably a better fit for me anyway! 

And that’s interesting that lighter blades makes a difference like that. So skaters don’t feel their edges as well? Would lighter boots have a similiar effect then? 

According to my skate tech, it's mainly a blades thing. But not everyone has the same issue- know a girl who switched to paramounts and adapted fast enough.

6 minutes ago, robin said:

I want your skate tech. 

Well if you're up for a trip to Beijing. And yes, he's good. He can sharpen for the rev blades, the new materials for jackson blades, and the weird curvatures of the side-honed gold seals and gold stars, parabolics etc.  And I think he's been to Japan and the US to train before so he can do adjustments for pronation etc. He had kids who skate, so you can so he's a bit intimate with skating itself. XD

It's actually kind of funny talking to him at times, because he has wonderful nightmare stories about various skating disasters people had when overbooting or overblading themselves.

11 minutes ago, Xen said:

Well if you're up for a trip to Beijing. And yes, he's good. He can sharpen for the rev blades, the new materials for jackson blades, and the weird curvatures of the side-honed gold seals and gold stars, parabolics etc.  And I think he's been to Japan and the US to train before so he can do adjustments for pronation etc. He had kids who skate, so you can so he's a bit intimate with skating itself. XD

Sounds great!! The day I am well-off enough for a pair of 99s I won’t mind investing in a trip to Beijing either :9: I’ll ask you for the address when the day comes LOL 

(maybe in 2022? one can dream) 

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

Okay...I should stop watching videos of Origin. Watching Yuzu skate is making me itch to get on ice, limping left ankle whatever!

Resist the temptation! Embarrassing story about how I sprained my ankle a couple of months ago... I was watching LGC while going down the stairs holding a heavy backpack and my phone on one hand and a guitar on the other. Needless to say, it didn't end well and I learned my lesson. :headdesk2: 

Damn that beautiful back counter 3A.

23 minutes ago, guitarist said:

Resist the temptation! Embarrassing story about how I sprained my ankle a couple of months ago... I was watching LGC while going down the stairs holding a heavy backpack and my phone on one hand and a guitar on the other. Needless to say, it didn't end well and I learned my lesson. :headdesk2: 

Damn that beautiful back counter 3A.

So his LGC is a safety hazard. Sounds about right.

Aaah yesterday I had my second skating lesson and I learned a lot of things. First thing - I need to buy new boots right away because mine are literally melting each day that goes by, my left boot broke and is kind of open on the heel (LOL) and when I showed my skates to my fellow course mates they were amazed that I could stand on the ice as long as I did. I also felt their boots and couldn't believe how soft mine were compared to theirs. 

So, for safety, I will have to invest in new boots in the next few days, lest I risk getting injured during week 1 because my boots are made of wool and I've been using them for 3 years xD

A course mate suggested an Edea model who is pretty cheap and has the blade included - I will get the blade sharpened by a guy at my rink, who they said is pretty good and sharpens depending on your physique. I also have to buy a blade cover because I've had hard, plastic covers since now. It was getting hard to walk around LOL. 

Honestly, I did feel pretty unstable doing the lesson with my boots, and I don't think it was just because I don't know how to skate on an edge LOL. I could feel my feet moving in the boot, and sometimes just gliding forward my foot would bend on either side. I bet it's like a skater's nightmare to have boots like mine. Oh well. I've received them as a present for my 18th birthday, from friends I said goodbye to a long time ago. So it's just right that I should buy new skates. It's like beginning a new season in life. 

Regarding the lesson, it was fun! We were 6 (maybe we will be 7 next time) so the teacher could follow us pretty closely, and she separated me and one other girl from 4 girls who were a bit more advanced. I could feel that I was less aware of my whole body, and I was just throwing myself around a lot of times lol. Last weekend I spoke with a friend who's a hockey player, but he told me really good advice on my posture. Basically said that he can see that I am scared when I skate, so my weight is all backwards, on the heels, and my back is straight. But I should change my balance point and bring it forward - and I started noticing that my ankles pressed on the front of my skates, and it should be a bit like this. Also, of course going on edges becomes easier this way. 

Sorry if I'm saying such obvious things, but I'm really starting from 0 so bear with me xD

I am still quite incapable of going backwards on one foot. The teacher put me to practice half-lemons/one foot backwards and crossing, which I think is propedeutic for backwards crossovers, while the other four of the course were doing Backward Outside three turns. Envyyyyyy! I wanna do that too! 

And the last minutes of the lessons she tried to make me practice spins. But I cannot even point my foot and do the 'compass' with the other foot to close my body. I am so bad at it! I have to practice a lot. 

Oh well, either tomorrow or friday I will buy new boots. 

Edit: I can choose between a cheap Risport model and a cheap Edea model... both are pretty good for beginners like me, and the Risport model is made of the same material as Edea's so it's not heavier. What do you guys recommend? Should I go with the boot that feels better with my foot? 

3 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Oh well, either tomorrow or friday I will buy new boots. 

Edit: I can choose between a cheap Risport model and a cheap Edea model... both are pretty good for beginners like me, and the Risport model is made of the same material as Edea's so it's not heavier. What do you guys recommend? Should I go with the boot that feels better with my foot? 

Go with the one that fits your feet. =) Try both and see which works best for you.  You mean the royal series for Risports?

Risports feel roomier, Edeas might feel tight at the start but supposedly they are memory foam or something type of padding and will conform around your feet over time (at least that's what all my edea wearing rinkmates say).

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

Go with the one that fits your feet. =) Try both and see which works best for you.  You mean the royal series for Risports?

Risports feel roomier, Edeas might feel tight at the start but supposedly they are memory foam or something type of padding and will conform around your feet over time (at least that's what all my edea wearing rinkmates say).

So I think tomorrow I will go around the city and try both. I think I would prefer Edea because of...reasons. Also I saw this shop also has some new 99 Rev blades. They're like 750 euros xDDDD 

11 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

So I think tomorrow I will go around the city and try both. I think I would prefer Edea because of...reasons. Also I saw this shop also has some new 99 Rev blades. They're like 750 euros xDDDD 

Are they the black ones? I think those are new ones that supposedly have a new material for the blades. If so, are you allowed to share photos?

(*sigh* I need to start saving a lot of money if I want pattern 99's at some point eh?)

51 minutes ago, Xen said:

Are they the black ones? I think those are new ones that supposedly have a new material for the blades. If so, are you allowed to share photos?

(*sigh* I need to start saving a lot of money if I want pattern 99's at some point eh?)

Unfortunately, in my case it's either save money for skating, or save money for skating competitions... and this year I guess I officially give up on Helsinki xD 

I can take photos tomorrow if I go there I think! I couldn't see in the site if they were black or not, but yeah, I think they are new c: They're not the only 99 Revs, there are others that are less expensive, more like 400 or 500 euros... 

@Murieleirum Hope you find the right skates for you! I recently purchased Edeas and just a warning that they feel like they’re too roomy around the ankles but with time it gives in to the shape of your foot and you can tie them tighter. But still, Edeas are supposed to be slightly loose around the ankle, like they’ve already been broken in! 

Also I skated again yesterday!!! Between the breaking in pains, the pains from the hardware in my left ankle, having to get used to the new rocker profile and being on the ice for the first time in 6 months I was a big mess on the ice. But also super grateful and happy.

14 minutes ago, robin said:

@Murieleirum Hope you find the right skates for you! I recently purchased Edeas and just a warning that they feel like they’re too roomy around the ankles but with time it gives in to the shape of your foot and you can tie them tighter. But still, Edeas are supposed to be slightly loose around the ankle, like they’ve already been broken in!

I bought them!! I took them a number less than my actual foot number, they are pretty tight all around except the ankle area, you are right! I guess I will have to try and tight them tighter and tighter the more I skate in them. I think I will wear them at home a little before I go to the rink c: I also bought cute Penguin Plushy blade soft covers, they reminded me of Cha, they had the same hockey hat! hahaha <3 

I cannot wait to go try them... they are so very pretty, and I love reading 'Edea' on them... I think the blade is not a high quality blade, but I don't need that for now. In a couple of months I will get it sharpened.