Skating on the Planet

On 8/30/2018 at 1:13 AM, dotsquare said:

Oh no :( Hope your ankle gets better soon! A good rule of thumb is to avoid putting any stress or weight on it while it's still painful- then once you stop feeling pain, you can slowly start exercising it. Could you do some one foot skipping with a rope? Is that even a thing? 

It is a thing and it's a thing that likes to kill my legs lol

Soooo yesterday I did my first skating lesson ever!

Or better, there wasn't anyone for the course (like, everybody cancelled last minute) but the teacher was there, so instead of doing a group lesson, she just did a trial lesson with me. We did some basic strokings, one foot skating foward and backwards (lol I can't do the latter), straight and in a circle. We also did some hops (and she said 'don't land with your full blade, land on the tip!' so I tried but I picked at the ice and splatted LOL and she was like 'Not THAT much on the tip' lol) and some forward crossovers, which she said that they are not too bad since I learned them on my own?? I think she was probably being too kind, but still, I am a little glad. 

And then in the end we did some lunges and I was surprisingly able to do them?? But if I did it with my left leg forward, I would automatically turn and she was like "yeah, we will do that too in the future!" and I was like "Yeah I saw this move in skating programs... BUT I'M NOT DOING IT ON PURPOSE!". 

Soooo in the end it was fun and my ankles were killing me - I definitely have to learn to bend the ankles more, and skate less with my butt. I have difficulties keeping the feet close and parallel when doing zig-zag and changing edges while skating forward.

Also, she said that my skates are (as I thought) very soft, so they are okay for starting, but if I try to jump with these I will break my ankles. So, I will look into buying new ones a bit later in the season, I guess. 

But the best thing - she said that if I am committed and I want to, I can start training for 'mock competitions' in february! and OF COURSE I want to, ohmygod!  I can't wait to skate to my favourite classical musical pieces... but also not classical, ifyaknowwhatImean. (*stealing Yuzu's music*)

the only problem being, the rink is VEEERY far from the city, so I definitely have to find a poor soul that lives in Rome like me, that could help me going and back... since I still don't have a driving license. But I am determined to do this, so I will find a solution. Yay! 

16 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Or better, there wasn't anyone for the course (like, everybody cancelled last minute) but the teacher was there, so instead of doing a group lesson, she just did a trial lesson with me. We did some basic strokings, one foot skating foward and backwards (lol I can't do the latter), straight and in a circle. We also did some hops (and she said 'don't land with your full blade, land on the tip!' so I tried but I picked at the ice and splatted LOL and she was like 'Not THAT much on the tip' lol) and some forward crossovers, which she said that they are not too bad since I learned them on my own?? I think she was probably being too kind, but still, I am a little glad. 

And then in the end we did some lunges and I was surprisingly able to do them?? But if I did it with my left leg forward, I would automatically turn and she was like "yeah, we will do that too in the future!" and I was like "Yeah I saw this move in skating programs... BUT I'M NOT DOING IT ON PURPOSE!". 

Soooo in the end it was fun and my ankles were killing me - I definitely have to learn to bend the ankles more, and skate less with my butt. I have difficulties keeping the feet close and parallel when doing zig-zag and changing edges while skating forward.

Also, she said that my skates are (as I thought) very soft, so they are okay for starting, but if I try to jump with these I will break my ankles. So, I will look into buying new ones a bit later in the season, I guess. 

But the best thing - she said that if I am committed and I want to, I can start training for 'mock competitions' in february! and OF COURSE I want to, ohmygod!  I can't wait to skate to my favourite classical musical pieces... but also not classical, ifyaknowwhatImean. (*stealing Yuzu's music*)

the only problem being, the rink is VEEERY far from the city, so I definitely have to find a poor soul that lives in Rome like me, that could help me going and back... since I still don't have a driving license. But I am determined to do this, so I will find a solution. Yay! 

Awesome! I'm glad you tried skating and enjoyed it :D show us your program when it happens!

17 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Good to see that you've also fallen headlong into the thing called skating. Exceeellleeeeennnnttt. Wait until you dive into the wonderful world of trying to find fitting boots and blades and the debate between edea vs risport, mk blades vs wilson blades vs jackson blades etc. We await your entry into this other world too.

:devilYuzu:

As for the transportation thing....um not to be jaded, but what are guys for? :slinkaway: (*gets sideeyed and killed by all her male teammates*)

9 hours ago, Xen said:

Good to see that you've also fallen headlong into the thing called skating. Exceeellleeeeennnnttt. Wait until you dive into the wonderful world of trying to find fitting boots and blades and the debate between edea vs risport, mk blades vs wilson blades vs jackson blades etc. We await your entry into this other world too.

:devilYuzu:

As for the transportation thing....um not to be jaded, but what are guys for? :slinkaway: (*gets sideeyed and killed by all her male teammates*)

You are super right. I should exploit them as much as I can.

For now, I think I don't plan to spend too much for potentially new and better skates... (unless I manage to sell my violin and buy a cheaper new one and save up some money... in that case I can have fun with you guys!)

I‘m all giddy studying for this exam on monday bc I will be getting my skates on tuesday and then I will finally skate again for the first time in 6 monthssssssss I can‘t waitttttt 

I will restrain myself and not skate on tuesday and wait til wednesday so I can have a friend accompany me in case something goes wrong with my ankle. Since the rink is 2 hours away in a different city it would be kinda shitty if something happened and I am there on my own. I am writing this down so that this thought manifests and I don’t get tempted to go to the rink right after I get my skates fitted lol

On 9/7/2018 at 12:12 AM, robin said:

I‘m all giddy studying for this exam on monday bc I will be getting my skates on tuesday and then I will finally skate again for the first time in 6 monthssssssss I can‘t waitttttt 

I will restrain myself and not skate on tuesday and wait til wednesday so I can have a friend accompany me in case something goes wrong with my ankle. Since the rink is 2 hours away in a different city it would be kinda shitty if something happened and I am there on my own. I am writing this down so that this thought manifests and I don’t get tempted to go to the rink right after I get my skates fitted lol

Please take care but YAY skating :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: I hope you have a grand old time

1 hour ago, axelnojutsu said:

Today there was a young girl in full sparkle outfit doing her thing during the public session and she reminded me a little bit  of Trusova (appearance wise, she’s not jumping quads anytime soon) :67638860:

Oh I do the same actually:tumblr_inline_mm2wb3v3qq1qz4rgp: I often make these mental "connections" between skaters at my rink and skaters they look like and/or skate like:tumblr_inline_mjgka6fYNw1qz4rgp:there's a little blonde girl at my rink who reminds me of Tara Lipinski...another lady who reminds me of Miki Ando, another one who reminds me of Katarina Witt, a girl who reminds me of Wakaba, and...I think that's it for now:tumblr_inline_mzx8txTRzl1r8msi5:

11 minutes ago, robin said:

:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Yay!!! They're beautiful! :201111231756430f6:

Yeah, Edeas can't be heat-molded, but supposedly they break in in a session or two. I wouldn't know, the skate tech said Edeas weren't the proper fit for me :13877886: Idk what they're talking about with the Coronation Aces, though, they're one of the most popular blades at my rink. My coach recommended them for me and I love them. The more advanced skaters use Pattern 99's or Gold Seals, though. 

5 hours ago, guitarist said:

Yay!!! They're beautiful! :201111231756430f6:

Yeah, Edeas can't be heat-molded, but supposedly they break in in a session or two. I wouldn't know, the skate tech said Edeas weren't the proper fit for me :13877886: Idk what they're talking about with the Coronation Aces, though, they're one of the most popular blades at my rink. My coach recommended them for me and I love them. The more advanced skaters use Pattern 99's or Gold Seals, though. 

I kinda wanted the Coro aces bc I imagined it would make spinning easier? And bc they are most popularly combined with Choruses. Also bc I want to eventually move up to 99s bc... Yuzu :P  I am glad to hear you’re happy with your blades!! 

I think what my skate tech really means to say is that he directs his customers towards Professionals and away from C Aces so that’s what people in his world use. He was also trying to lead me towards getting the RF3s saying Choruses don’t live up to their stiffness rating and that even if the RF3s are lower level they are stiffer. :facepalm: Overall he didn’t believe in overbooting, probably to keep his business going tho. The local fs scene here is a small world. Everyone from the surrounding 10 cities or so comes to him for lack of alternatives. I tried really hard not to be a know-it-all customer contradicting the expert who’s owned a skate shop all his life today (and everytime I go there) but I’ve done my research and it made it hard to trust his word... Next time I’m gonna travel further for skates. 

3 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I think choruses are the nicest looking edeas. Congratulations!! have fun!!

Thank you i will! 

You know I used to think they’re kinda ugly but now I agree. They’re super pretty 

6 hours ago, robin said:

I kinda wanted the Coro aces bc I imagined it would make spinning easier? And bc they are most popularly combined with Choruses. Also bc I want to eventually move up to 99s bc... Yuzu :P  I am glad to hear you’re happy with your blades!! 

I think what my skate tech really means to say is that he directs his customers towards Professionals and away from C Aces so that’s what people in his world use. He was also trying to lead me towards getting the RF3s saying Choruses don’t live up to their stiffness rating and that even if the RF3s are lower level they are stiffer. :facepalm: Overall he didn’t believe in overbooting, probably to keep his business going tho. The local fs scene here is a small world. Everyone from the surrounding 10 cities or so comes to him for lack of alternatives. I tried really hard not to be a know-it-all customer contradicting the expert who’s owned a skate shop all his life today (and everytime I go there) but I’ve done my research and it made it hard to trust his word... Next time I’m gonna travel further for skates.

To be fair to your tech, the chorus and the RF3's are more or less equivalent in stiffness. The tech I send my skates to, usually starts out adult skaters in Edea 3stars or RFLight to begin with since they need more support due to weight. When I tried out my boots, he was thinking either I go RF3 or go the Edea 5 star for stiffness depending on when I thought I would start axels. I prefer Risports since their toe-boxes are higher and a bit more roomey. But the ankles are a bit wider than I prefer, while Edeas fit around the heel but pinch my arch like crazy...>_<

Pro vs Aces: a lot of the skaters I know at my rink (and even city) if they are on intermediate blades, they are on MK Professionals or Jackson  blades. Very few are on coronation aces (in fact when I had to resell my old boots, my skate tech told me to just reuse the blades because most intermediate skaters in China do not use Wilson blades). As for spin vs Jumping, most of what I've heard here is that MK Pros have the rounder, and nicer rocker for spinning. While Cor Aces have the flatter rocker profile and the bigger toe picks for jumping.  Granted here, usually what blade you move to is based on coach recommendation, and a lot of coaches here prefer their skaters on a MK professional profile when the skater starts spinning more. 

Personally, I don't find the Cor Aces that hard to center for spinning, but a rink mate and I were comparing and think that the Cor aces require more precision (and are a bit back in the ball of the feet) for spinning. He (on MK pros) is pressing the ball of the foot closer to the toe joint when centering spins, while I (on Cor aces) am pressing more towards my arch when centering on the ball of my foot.  As for why...don't know. My skate tech prefers MK blades and Jackson blades for intermediate level, and at higher level prefers Jacksons and Wilsons. Granted, he even has paramounts in stock....I think he's said before that in terms of defects and precision, actually Jackson has the best track record of the three.

What I've heard from my skate tech, when it comes to blades, is that switching between MK and Wilson isn't that hard. You just need to adapt to a different profile, but usually not hard. The harder adjustment is going from Wilson and MK to Jackson or Paramount. This is because the material of the blade has changed, and many people switching from MK/Wilson to Jackson had more trouble and a longer adjusting period. Not to the profile, but the Jackson blades are lighter, so much so that the skaters felt as if they were skating on empty air and couldn't fully feel their blades. 

4 hours ago, Xen said:

Pro vs Aces: a lot of the skaters I know at my rink (and even city) if they are on intermediate blades, they are on MK Professionals or Jackson  blades. Very few are on coronation aces (in fact when I had to resell my old boots, my skate tech told me to just reuse the blades because most intermediate skaters in China do not use Wilson blades). As for spin vs Jumping, most of what I've heard here is that MK Pros have the rounder, and nicer rocker for spinning. While Cor Aces have the flatter rocker profile and the bigger toe picks for jumping.  Granted here, usually what blade you move to is based on coach recommendation, and a lot of coaches here prefer their skaters on a MK professional profile when the skater starts spinning more. 

Personally, I don't find the Cor Aces that hard to center for spinning, but a rink mate and I were comparing and think that the Cor aces require more precision (and are a bit back in the ball of the feet) for spinning. He (on MK pros) is pressing the ball of the foot closer to the toe joint when centering spins, while I (on Cor aces) am pressing more towards my arch when centering on the ball of my foot.  As for why...don't know. My skate tech prefers MK blades and Jackson blades for intermediate level, and at higher level prefers Jacksons and Wilsons. Granted, he even has paramounts in stock....I think he's said before that in terms of defects and precision, actually Jackson has the best track record of the three.

Oh I must have remembered the rocker thing the other way around then. I actually have a problem of catching my toe picks all the time when I spin so the Professionals are probably a better fit for me anyway! 

And that’s interesting that lighter blades makes a difference like that. So skaters don’t feel their edges as well? Would lighter boots have a similiar effect then?