Skating on the Planet

13 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Those small injuries must build up though...esp since they don't seem to wear knee/elbow pads. maybe just do a lot of icing...

Depends if you fall on joints or fall on muscles. 

I wore knee pads and crashed onto  my knee when I wobbled off a back spin, still managed to bruise my knee cap. 

But falling on my butt ( so long as tailbone not involved) doesn't hurt that much and I'm back in form in under 3 seconds? As for speed, well if I'm going fast and I fall, I tend to also slide across the ice (and more likely to hit muscles instead of joints), so it's actually less painful than say a straight fall from no speed. 

6 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Yeah, if you fall on joints it's the worst! With jumps you tend to fall on your butt so it's not that bad.And I know people say that about going fast and falling, but my crossovers falls are the worst.

Ugh, yeah, when I was still getting used to new skates a few months ago, I somehow fell on my knees while doing crossovers. So far that's been my worst fall, and my knees hurt for several weeks after. I'll take falling on my butt over that anytime...

Worst falls....hmmm....

a. The one time I tried a Yuzu style side lunge, and over judged my ability to hold an edge, falling straight down on my tailbone. 

b. That one time trying a camel spin, and getting too excited when I managed to kind of hold my spin, whereupon my upperbody went down and I crashed on my chest. Hurt a bit, but worst part was it took the wind out of me. 

Never ever ever land on a flat when you land jumps. I did once on a loop jump, got dizzy and my head was throbbing for minutes afterwards. The pressure really does transfer up your spine to your neck joint. >_<

SO I finally went the skate shop and tried on what they had. Edea Chorus and Risport RF3 pros (stiffness rating 60). I really couldn’t decide bc the Choruses felt a lot more comfortable but also it was loose on top of the ankle. The RF3s already started hurting but gave me more support. 

Are the Choruses supposed to be a bit loose over the ankle (in the beginning)? it also felt a bit loose sideways. Is that how it’s supposed to be? bc I am leaning towards them but I am not sure if the fit is right. 

The skate tech is clearly a Risport RF3 fan... He also said there’s virtually no differnce between MK Professionals and Coronation Aces so I am starting to question his expertise. Risport Royals are not even an option. He doesn’t seem to be a fan of overbooting lol. 

GOOD NEWS is that I could comfortably wear the boots on my ankle with the plates!! So yay I am going to be skating again this winter 

eta: Also fun story, when I told the tech that I wore through my old skates within 3 months he was so shocked. He said he‘s seen people break their ankles through really really old skates but mine were still new. He was like, how did you manage that?? lol. 

On 8/9/2018 at 4:51 AM, guitarist said:

Ugh, yeah, when I was still getting used to new skates a few months ago, I somehow fell on my knees while doing crossovers. So far that's been my worst fall, and my knees hurt for several weeks after. I'll take falling on my butt over that anytime...

ouch! at least it was only weeks? my knee still hurts when, say, i crawl on my knees, and it's been like 4 months. my elbows still hurt if i put them down at the right angle and it's been like 1.5 years. my doctor says i need to ice them.

On 8/9/2018 at 7:08 AM, Xen said:

Worst falls....hmmm....

a. The one time I tried a Yuzu style side lunge, and over judged my ability to hold an edge, falling straight down on my tailbone. 

b. That one time trying a camel spin, and getting too excited when I managed to kind of hold my spin, whereupon my upperbody went down and I crashed on my chest. Hurt a bit, but worst part was it took the wind out of me. 

Never ever ever land on a flat when you land jumps. I did once on a loop jump, got dizzy and my head was throbbing for minutes afterwards. The pressure really does transfer up your spine to your neck joint. >_<

OUCH!! :dizzy2:

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

ouch! at least it was only weeks? my knee still hurts when, say, i crawl on my knees, and it's been like 4 months. my elbows still hurt if i put them down at the right angle and it's been like 1.5 years. my doctor says i need to ice them.

OUCH!! :dizzy2:

1.5 years?? that sounds.. worrying :knc_tracy2:

13 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

1.5 years?? that sounds.. worrying :knc_tracy2:

Yes I know :dizzy2:

I went to a doctor and they said to ice it and it will go away if i ice it every day for a month. But so far I ice it for a day or two and then forget. 

But it's also why I wear gel knee pads (the flexible kind, not the roller skating/skateboarding kind) and gel elbow pads every day now. And I also started wearing wrist padded gloves just in case.

I filmed this video of outside 3turns exercise down the line. in general i find the moves in the field exercises are much harder than they look :crazyshit2: i think i've been doing these for like 6 months now (but it's helped me check my 3turns A LOT!) -- inside 3turns are harder but doing them on a line like this is actually easier for me because of the unwinding part :20111123175639e73: I should film more moves stuff to motivate myself to do them.

also :curse: instagram video compression

8 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I filmed this video of outside 3turns exercise down the line. in general i find the moves in the field exercises are much harder than they look :crazyshit2: i think i've been doing these for like 6 months now (but it's helped me check my 3turns A LOT!) -- inside 3turns are harder but doing them on a line like this is actually easier for me because of the unwinding part :20111123175639e73: I should film more moves stuff to motivate myself to do them.

also :curse: instagram video compression

Hmm, I don't do these exercises usually, but there is one I've tried out before.

Do 3-turns down the line, but instead of holding onto the edge when you exit, do a side toe hop.  Hmm, it's inside forward 3's, so it would be say, RFI 3, toe hop--> LFI 3-->toe hop down a line.

I want to try these: (look it's Brian!)

Currently I'm stuck on twizzles. I can get 3-4 rotations off for the RFI twizzle, but often enough the 3rd or 4th rotation has a little loop like shape (like a spin loop). Not sure how to fix it...I'm I moving too much towards my inside edge? Still can't find my balance point exactly for the LFI twizzle, so I can do at most a pitiful 2 rotations. =_=

12 hours ago, Xen said:

Currently I'm stuck on twizzles. I can get 3-4 rotations off for the RFI twizzle, but often enough the 3rd or 4th rotation has a little loop like shape (like a spin loop). Not sure how to fix it...I'm I moving too much towards my inside edge? Still can't find my balance point exactly for the LFI twizzle, so I can do at most a pitiful 2 rotations. =_=

Oooh great timing! I started working on twizzles today, only singles though, and only forward insides. But they're really fun and spinny :3 my left forward insides are often short on rotation by maybe 90 degrees, weirdly enough. My right forward insides feel good. I also tried backward outside ones too, but they're much worse than my forward insides. "Spinning"/twizzling on your heel feels weird bc you're so used to spinning on the ball of your feet haha.

I wiped myself out on a toe loop...a toe loop. Toe slipped and I ended up on my butt with a twisted left ankle. Nothing major but doctor said I need 1 week of no exercise allowed on left foot, and then maybe a second week to heal all my ligaments. He's still saying how lucky I was my ankle didn't snap, and just have torn ligaments and a small stress fracture.

I should probably do cardio this week, but have no idea what to do, because my knowledge of off-ice training is non-existent. Any suggestions?

On 8/20/2018 at 6:22 AM, Xen said:

I wiped myself out on a toe loop...a toe loop. Toe slipped and I ended up on my butt with a twisted left ankle. Nothing major but doctor said I need 1 week of no exercise allowed on left foot, and then maybe a second week to heal all my ligaments. He's still saying how lucky I was my ankle didn't snap, and just have torn ligaments and a small stress fracture.

I should probably do cardio this week, but have no idea what to do, because my knowledge of off-ice training is non-existent. Any suggestions?

Owww!!! I'm so sorry, hope you get better soon :((

On 8/20/2018 at 8:22 PM, Xen said:

Oh no :( Hope your ankle gets better soon! A good rule of thumb is to avoid putting any stress or weight on it while it's still painful- then once you stop feeling pain, you can slowly start exercising it. Could you do some one foot skipping with a rope? Is that even a thing?