Skating on the Planet

14 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

omg yes this :bliss-smiley:

btw John Wilson reposted the pic of my new blades :biggrin:

Your current boot and blade setup is what I want for my next pair. Share with us how the pattern99 feels. =)

8 hours ago, Xen said:

Your current boot and blade setup is what I want for my next pair. Share with us how the pattern99 feels. =)

umm I love them =D i had them mounted on Tuesday so I only really skated in them for about 2 days, so i'm still getting used to it, but i feel like i'm used to them already! the first thing i noticed was indeed that they are very fast, and they grip the ice very well (probably because they're new and sharp) that it feels very easy and safe to glide on deeper edges for a long time, and the stability gives me more confidence and less hesitation into moves. the speed and smoothness feels very nice, it almost feels like cheating because i don't have to push very hard and i can already gain a lot of speed, and i don't need to lean in very much and i can get deep edges. and the security is nice because my old blades didn't grip the ice as nicely (they're old beat-up MK professionals) so there was always the fear of slipping.

the rocker is 8' and my old ones are 7' but I prefer these for some reason. the balance is slightly different so i'm still adjusting, but it seems harder to trip over your toe picks with these blades (which I was very afraid of :smiley-laughing021:) because of the flatter rocker? anyway I don't really know the specifics behind the geometry of the blades or anything, but they feel good and i can do all spins and jumps just fine. they also feel lighter because i think there's a lot less steel in the blades as well.

Another super noob question guys. Any tips for doing forward slaloms? I just can't maintain any level of momentum :( I can do 2-3 sweeps in succession but that's only if I build up speed beforehand and I'm pretty sure you're meant to be able to do them from a standstill. I think I'm not pushing off my edges in the right way :/

And I've come to the conclusion that I definitely need a coach soon :13877886: My group lesson this week was 13 little girls and me so the whole thing was just us swizzling and one foot gliding up and down the rink without running into one another. There's an adult skater who cools down during my group lesson practice so I'm thinking of asking her about her coach. 

5 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

Another super noob question guys. Any tips for doing forward slaloms? I just can't maintain any level of momentum :( I can do 2-3 sweeps in succession but that's only if I build up speed beforehand and I'm pretty sure you're meant to be able to do them from a standstill. I think I'm not pushing off my edges in the right way :/

And I've come to the conclusion that I definitely need a coach soon :13877886: My group lesson this week was 13 little girls and me so the whole thing was just us swizzling and one foot gliding up and down the rink without running into one another. There's an adult skater who cools down during my group lesson practice so I'm thinking of asking her about her coach. 

You need to build momentum with each push, and each edge, if you go deep enough, should generate a bit of speed. 

46 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

slaloms are hard; can you do swizzles? they are easier but ultimately the rhythm is the same if you want to practice those first. 

but, to answer your question, the momentum/speed comes from your knees mostly. so while you are on the leftmost or rightmost part of the slalom you should be on bent knees and rise up as you come back to center and down again fast as you enter your next slalom. the deeper your knee bend the more push you get which translates to speed. it also means your slaloms will curve more deeply. i think if you try bending and rising up on your knees while rhythmically while doing slaloms you'll get the feeling eventually!

3 hours ago, Xen said:

You need to build momentum with each push, and each edge, if you go deep enough, should generate a bit of speed. 

3 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

slaloms are hard; can you do swizzles? they are easier but ultimately the rhythm is the same if you want to practice those first. 

but, to answer your question, the momentum/speed comes from your knees mostly. so while you are on the leftmost or rightmost part of the slalom you should be on bent knees and rise up as you come back to center and down again fast as you enter your next slalom. the deeper your knee bend the more push you get which translates to speed. it also means your slaloms will curve more deeply. i think if you try bending and rising up on your knees while rhythmically while doing slaloms you'll get the feeling eventually!

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll see how I go next time I'm at the rink :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: my swizzles could definitely be much better so maybe I need to work on those first. 

Yesterday I was feeling wobbly on my feet the whole time during training for some reason but at least I made some tiny progress on the sal

I still can’t get up in time but it’s something I guess :crazyshit2:

But that’s a problem for next season me cause there’s only 2 sessions left :sadPooh:

The feeling when your forward inside edges love roaring, your back edges both are fine, but your forward outside edges decide they don't want to work. :13877886:

Coach is making me do powerpulls and single foot slaloms from standstill. Alternating inside edges-fine, back edges-fine, forward outside-"I have a recording, it's not pretty, and stop trying to push off your free leg, you have to do it from standstill, standstill, stop dangling your freefoot, why do it when you're not pushing anyways."

Right forward outside edge: why are you failing me, I thought I was a rightie?

7 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Lol...forward outside 3turns on a line are literally the hardest thing ever :13877886:they're way harder than forward inside 3turns on a line even though inside 3 turns are harder than outside 3 turns..??

on a line, outside is easier than inside.:slinkaway:

• 2 weeks later...

Dammit. Sprained my left ankle today (not while skating). I don't know how bad it is, I need to get it checked out tomorrow, but it's quite swollen and I can't walk on it :13877886: It sucks, though, Chelsea Piers has an annual summer competition next weekend, and I was going to enter :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid: It's definitely not happening because I do my spiral and shoot the duck on my left foot. Ugh. 

30 minutes ago, guitarist said:

Dammit. Sprained my left ankle today (not while skating). I don't know how bad it is, I need to get it checked out tomorrow, but it's quite swollen and I can't walk on it :13877886: It sucks, though, Chelsea Piers has an annual summer competition next weekend, and I was going to enter :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid: It's definitely not happening because I do my spiral and shoot the duck on my left foot. Ugh. 

Oh shooooot that sucks big time:13877886:  Hope you'll get better soon... Rest well and don't push it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2018 at 6:08 PM, guitarist said:

Nooo :(( Did you get it checked?

Also I wanted to ask what coaches do you recommend in Chelsea Piers? 

I hope you feel better soon!

11 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Nooo :(( Did you get it checked?

Also I wanted to ask what coaches do you recommend in Chelsea Piers? 

I hope you feel better soon!

Yeah, partial tear in 2 ligaments... I have to wear a brace, and I have a follow-up in two weeks, but he said probably no skating in 4 weeks :13877886:

Hmmm, I've only directly worked with 2, but I've seen a lot of the others during freestyles. I don't know their names, but let me get a friend to take a picture of the board with all their pictures and I'll get back to you.

Are you going to be in the city? :10636614: