Skating on the Planet

2 minutes ago, robin said:

Make sure it comes from the hips rather than the ankles and knees. Pressing the glutes helps :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Is there a way to check if it's actually coming from the hips? My knees face out when I do it but I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen. 

12 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

Is there a way to check if it's actually coming from the hips? My knees face out when I do it but I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen. 

Not that sure either... I guess some torsion is OK but it shouldn't feel like there is too much pressure on the knees? Hm I would say to avoid it you need the turnout first so maybe do the appropriate stretches before you force it (the ones that only stretch the hips open)

6 hours ago, dotsquare said:

I don't think it's unnatural to have your knees face out so I don't think that's bad. But when it comes to hip turnout I think it mostly comes from your thighs (quads). If you place your hand on your hip bone, you can feel it turn out.

12 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Yay, post it here!

I will once I manage to get it on camera, I just fail whenever I try to record :13877886: Though to be fair most attempts are still failing because I'm still too scared, and even the "successful" attempts are more hops than jumps haha. 

3 hours ago, axelnojutsu said:

I haven't been on the ice for just over 2 weeks but it feels more like 2 months :13877886: I'm scared to see how terribly I'll do tonight :1:

Can't be more terrible than my practice session this morning, tripped while trying to lean more into my forward crossovers and landed on my knees :headdesk2: I'm sure you'll be fine :10636614:

1 hour ago, guitarist said:

I will once I manage to get it on camera, I just fail whenever I try to record :13877886: Though to be fair most attempts are still failing because I'm still too scared, and even the "successful" attempts are more hops than jumps haha. 

Can't be more terrible than my practice session this morning, tripped while trying to lean more into my forward crossovers and landed on my knees :headdesk2: I'm sure you'll be fine :10636614:

I didn’t fall so it’s already a great practice for me haha

No but after the initial wobblyness it actually went surprisingly well. Also, I was just super happy to be on the ice again :figure-skating-smiley: 

I'm learning outside loops. Today, I managed one, and got so surprised I promptly fell on my next attempt. Total number of falls this week alone, when practicing footwork, has exceed the total falls I've had doing jumps for the past 3 months. 

Insides loops feel so much easier (just feels like a twisty bracket). :13877886:Outside loops are evil! Evil!

I finally bought my first skates! and promptly ran home as fast as I could to make it in time for the parade (which I am still recoiling from)

I got the Jackson Freestyles- I did ask to try on other boots but the fitter said that most skaters that come in are told to get Freestyles by their coaches so he recommended them for me too.

They felt pretty good- my toes barely touched the end of the skates and my heel fit snugly into the back of the boot without any signs of shifting. I have yet to skate in them but the fitter heat moulded, sharpened and added extra screws to the sole so I'm hoping everything will be okay on the ice.

I bought soakers and I was going to buy hard guards too but my wallet has suffered enough damage for today so I decided to get some next time I'm at the rink :13877886:

As soon as I got home I cleaned the blades with a towel, put on soakers and put my skates back in the cardboard box they came in. Is this okay or should I be storing them in a proper gym bag? Also, should I leave the laces tightened or loose while I'm storing the skates?

Edit: So I tried my skates on again and I feel like the blade isn't running along the centre of my foot? When I try and balance on one foot, it leans out to the outside edge straight away. Is that normal?

13 hours ago, dotsquare said:

I finally bought my first skates! and promptly ran home as fast as I could to make it in time for the parade (which I am still recoiling from)

I got the Jackson Freestyles- I did ask to try on other boots but the fitter said that most skaters that come in are told to get Freestyles by their coaches so he recommended them for me too.

They felt pretty good- my toes barely touched the end of the skates and my heel fit snugly into the back of the boot without any signs of shifting. I have yet to skate in them but the fitter heat moulded, sharpened and added extra screws to the sole so I'm hoping everything will be okay on the ice.

I bought soakers and I was going to buy hard guards too but my wallet has suffered enough damage for today so I decided to get some next time I'm at the rink :13877886:

As soon as I got home I cleaned the blades with a towel, put on soakers and put my skates back in the cardboard box they came in. Is this okay or should I be storing them in a proper gym bag? Also, should I leave the laces tightened or loose while I'm storing the skates?

Edit: So I tried my skates on again and I feel like the blade isn't running along the centre of my foot? When I try and balance on one foot, it leans out to the outside edge straight away. Is that normal?

Has the person who sold them to you adjusted your blades? It’s probably not ideal but it shouldn’t be a big problem? Mine were adjusted as much as possible but it was still not enough. The guy even put pieces of leather under the blades to increase the angle but nope LOL I am hoping it will be better once I get my new skates since the blades won’t be pre-mounted 

Wait til you skate on your new skates for the first time! Everything will be so much easier and more effortless :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

As for how to take care of your skates:

Best to keep them as dry as possible so take them out of your gym bag when you‘re at home so the inside can dry (can get smelly) and the soakers should take care of the blades. Always wipe them with a towel after using them and before putting on soakers. You should use guards for the distance between putting them on and stepping on the ice. 

As for laces, I just wrap them around the ankle part of the boot but I am not sure if that’s ideal (I‘ve seen people make a ribbon out of them and put them into the boot but since my laces sometimes end up wet I don’t do that.) 

2 hours ago, robin said:

Has the person who sold them to you adjusted your blades? It’s probably not ideal but it shouldn’t be a big problem? Mine were adjusted as much as possible but it was still not enough. The guy even put pieces of leather under the blades to increase the angle but nope LOL I am hoping it will be better once I get my new skates since the blades won’t be pre-mounted 

Wait til you skate on your new skates for the first time! Everything will be so much easier and more effortless :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

As for how to take care of your skates:

Best to keep them as dry as possible so take them out of your gym bag when you‘re at home so the inside can dry (can get smelly) and the soakers should take care of the blades. Always wipe them with a towel after using them and before putting on soakers. You should use guards for the distance between putting them on and stepping on the ice. 

As for laces, I just wrap them around the ankle part of the boot but I am not sure if that’s ideal (I‘ve seen people make a ribbon out of them and put them into the boot but since my laces sometimes end up wet I don’t do that.) 

Nope, he didn't adjust them. He just asked me to stand up in them, took a look and seemed satisfied. I can keep the blades flat when standing on two feet but only if I make a conscious effort. It's far more comfortable to let my ankles roll out, and conversely a little hard to push onto my inside edges. 

Thanks for all the advice! I'm thinking to try skating in them as is, then if I'm having issues I'll try my old orthotics. If that still doesn't work, I'll go back and ask to get the blades re-aligned :) I think I'm just really freaking out since it was such a big purchase haha. 

Hopefully it all goes well :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid: Thanks again! 

@guitarist I think I read a few pages back that you had over pronation issues? How did you pick up on it and did you try blade realignment or inserts? Very curious! 

Hey everyone! I started skating when I was very little but only ever for fun on outdoor ponds in the winter. I switched from figure skates to hockey skates in high school and played hockey for a year but didn't enjoy it and sort of gradually stopped skating... so I haven't been for a long time. Anyway I've been feeling inspired to skate again (thanks, Yuzu... :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:) and want to go back to figure skates, so I'm doing my best to research. I live near a year round rink so I can go pretty much any time, but my area seems to be lacking a proper figure skating shop at the moment. I'm not sure about taking lessons, but who knows... I really just want to skate for fun! and jump an axel

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi to this thread, it's been fun and informative to read ^^

35 minutes ago, Noelle said:

Hey everyone! I started skating when I was very little but only ever for fun on outdoor ponds in the winter. I switched from figure skates to hockey skates in high school and played hockey for a year but didn't enjoy it and sort of gradually stopped skating... so I haven't been for a long time. Anyway I've been feeling inspired to skate again (thanks, Yuzu... :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:) and want to go back to figure skates, so I'm doing my best to research. I live near a year round rink so I can go pretty much any time, but my area seems to be lacking a proper figure skating shop at the moment. I'm not sure about taking lessons, but who knows... I really just want to skate for fun! and jump an axel

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi to this thread, it's been fun and informative to read ^^

Dooo iitttt.....join the illustrious ranks of Doh' M's for skating.

:devilYuzu:

33 minutes ago, Xen said:

Dooo iitttt.....join the illustrious ranks of Doh' M's for skating.

:devilYuzu:

ahh I probably shouldn't want to join the illustrious ranks of DoM skaters but it sounds nice... I'm not sure if just zipping around a rink counts though... If I just stop thinking about learning axels and all the super pretty and cool stuff I'll be fine! :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

27 minutes ago, Noelle said:

ahh I probably shouldn't want to join the illustrious ranks of DoM skaters but it sounds nice... I'm not sure if just zipping around a rink counts though... If I just stop thinking about learning axels and all the super pretty and cool stuff I'll be fine! :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

But doesn't Yuzu and his "shu-pah" and "ton-ton-shu" make you just want to....leap off for an axel?