Skating on the Planet

I'm at a skate shop, and yes, my skates were completely wrong for me :13877886:

We're going with the Riedell Bronze Star with Coronation Ace blades. Apparently, my ankles are much too thin for Edea and Jackson. My wallet is not happy. Though this is admittedly much, much cheaper than the guitar I'm getting soon, so I shouldn't complain... 

Should get the skates next week :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: (they didn't have the right width in stock)  

7 hours ago, guitarist said:

I'm at a skate shop, and yes, my skates were completely wrong for me :13877886:

We're going with the Riedell Bronze Star with Coronation Ace blades. Apparently, my ankles are much too thin for Edea and Jackson. My wallet is not happy. Though this is admittedly much, much cheaper than the guitar I'm getting soon, so I shouldn't complain... 

Should get the skates next week :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: (they didn't have the right width in stock)  

Get some gel sleeves for your ankles just in case.

I'm not sure how Riedell's are right now, heard they are better. However my fondest (or not) memory of riedells from 10 years ago was having the cuff of the boot chafe against my ankles so badly, it left blood marks all arond (I initially thought it was just sweat). =( They were fine after a month or so of wear, but the horrid memory still lives with me, because the cuff of the boots had minimal padding.

BTW, you'll love cor ace blades. The higher up blade for it, with a similar rocker profile, is the pattern 99. :devilYuzu:

3 hours ago, Xen said:

Get some gel sleeves for your ankles just in case.

I'm not sure how Riedell's are right now, heard they are better. However my fondest (or not) memory of riedells from 10 years ago was having the cuff of the boot chafe against my ankles so badly, it left blood marks all arond (I initially thought it was just sweat). =( They were fine after a month or so of wear, but the horrid memory still lives with me, because the cuff of the boots had minimal padding.

BTW, you'll love cor ace blades. The higher up blade for it, with a similar rocker profile, is the pattern 99. :devilYuzu:

Yeah, my coach said that too. She says she wishes those existed when she was a kid because she still has scars from breaking in skates. Not exactly encouraging :13877886:

Good to hear! I'm super excited about the blades! The blades on the Artiste are so flat, so I'm hoping these will make learning spins easier. Ahhh, so excited! :10636614:

I started on Waltz jumps today! By which I mean, my coach is finally teaching them to me, but I'm much too scared to actually try :13877886: I'll try again tomorrow. I know I can do it, I'm just scared, for completely irrational reasons. 

We're going to work on a program for a small competition in June :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: It's just for fun, and I'm only in the Adult Freestyle 1 category (which is why she's making me learn the Waltz), but I'm really excited! I already picked the music: I Want To Break Free. Because... Freddie Mercury :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

14 minutes ago, guitarist said:

I started on Waltz jumps today! By which I mean, my coach is finally teaching them to me, but I'm much too scared to actually try :13877886: I'll try again tomorrow. I know I can do it, I'm just scared, for completely irrational reasons. 

We're going to work on a program for a small competition in June :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: It's just for fun, and I'm only in the Adult Freestyle 1 category (which is why she's making me learn the Waltz), but I'm really excited! I already picked the music: I Want To Break Free. Because... Freddie Mercury :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

That's amazing! I'm so excited for you :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: Competing sounds like so much fun- the choreo, costumes and music! 

1 hour ago, guitarist said:

Yay! Nice! Leaving the ice for the first time ever is literally the most terrifying, for irrational reasons lol! I did them on the wall a lot before attempting them off the wall...

And I remember after skating for a month or two I entered a local competition at Chelsea Piers, and I wore this vintage skating dress that was probably made before spandex was invented, and then it ripped during my program :13877886: LOL. I've yet to get it fixed, but I don't think I'll wear it skating again. Anyway, I haven't competed since...

3 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Yay! Nice! Leaving the ice for the first time ever is literally the most terrifying, for irrational reasons lol! I did them on the wall a lot before attempting them off the wall...

And I remember after skating for a month or two I entered a local competition at Chelsea Piers, and I wore this vintage skating dress that was probably made before spandex was invented, and then it ripped during my program :13877886: LOL. I've yet to get it fixed, but I don't think I'll wear it skating again. Anyway, I haven't competed since...

Oh no :( Hopefully it wasn't a big rip? But hey, I feel like wardrobe malfunctions are a rite of passage for figure skaters so I guess you can say you've officially made it! 

4 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

omg hhahah that's unfortunate. (Did you get a deduction for the rip?)

Also it's so cool you guys have all these competitions for adults. afaik there's only small comps for kids around here

7 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Yeah, I've been trying to do that. I'm about to leave for the rink, and I'm determined to get it this morning! I just have to force myself. Easier said that done :13877886:

Oh, no! Hopefully that doesn't happen to me! :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: Though I'm probably not going to wear a dress, since I'm skating to Queen haha. That's probably the competition I'm entering! It's an ISI competition. I think it happens once a year. 

EDIT: I got it!!! Well. Sort of. From a standstill... It's a work in progress. But it's something! :10636614:

6 hours ago, robin said:

omg hhahah that's unfortunate. (Did you get a deduction for the rip?)

Also it's so cool you guys have all these competitions for adults. afaik there's only small comps for kids around here

7 hours ago, dotsquare said:

Oh no :( Hopefully it wasn't a big rip? But hey, I feel like wardrobe malfunctions are a rite of passage for figure skaters so I guess you can say you've officially made it! 

LOL I don't think anyone noticed, it was just unfortunate...for the dress...haha...I'll get around to fixing it one day...

12 hours ago, guitarist said:

Yeah, I've been trying to do that. I'm about to leave for the rink, and I'm determined to get it this morning! I just have to force myself. Easier said that done :13877886:

Oh, no! Hopefully that doesn't happen to me! :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: Though I'm probably not going to wear a dress, since I'm skating to Queen haha. That's probably the competition I'm entering! It's an ISI competition. I think it happens once a year. 

EDIT: I got it!!! Well. Sort of. From a standstill... It's a work in progress. But it's something! :10636614:

NICE omg that's so exciting! Congrats! Film yourself! (I still have vids of my first waltz jumps and it's great for tracking progress and I wish I had filmed myself more)

5 hours ago, robin said:

NICE omg that's so exciting! Congrats! Film yourself! (I still have vids of my first waltz jumps and it's great for tracking progress and I wish I had filmed myself more)

Thank you! Yeah, I'm so excited!!! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: I'll definitely do that, it's very encouraging to see the progress, and sometimes I really need the reminder. Hopefully I can get it stable enough in time for the competition. If not, it's not a big deal, since I'm doing the artistic one anyway, but it'd be a nice touch.

51 minutes ago, guitarist said:

Thank you! Yeah, I'm so excited!!! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: I'll definitely do that, it's very encouraging to see the progress, and sometimes I really need the reminder. Hopefully I can get it stable enough in time for the competition. If not, it's not a big deal, since I'm doing the artistic one anyway, but it'd be a nice touch.

Yay, post it here!

51 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

Random question but how do you make sure you're turning out properly? I just randomly tried today and I managed 180 degrees but I did force the last 20 degrees or so a little and I've heard forcing it is reeeeaaally bad... Whoops 

Make sure it comes from the hips rather than the ankles and knees. Pressing the glutes helps. But I'm not particularily successful either :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: