Skating on the Planet

3 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

I'm still using rentals :13877886: I promised myself I'd only get my own boots once I got close to starting crossovers but I'm so tempted to get some now 

yeah i imagine they wont' fit well >< and if so then it'll be hard to glide on an edge. also, it may not even have edges, most rental skates have such dull blades...

6 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

I'm still using rentals :13877886: I promised myself I'd only get my own boots once I got close to starting crossovers but I'm so tempted to get some now 

If you're sure you're going to stick with it, get your own as soon as possible. Rental skates are always inconsistent in quality, they're usually not very firm, and the blades aren't sharpened as often as they should be. If you can't get your own for now, see if you can at least make sure you always get the same pair of rentals (ask the rink staff if they can do this). This way your feet won't have to readjust to every pair you try.

2 minutes ago, guitarist said:

If you're sure you're going to stick with it, get your own as soon as possible. Rental skates are always inconsistent in quality, they're usually not very firm, and the blades aren't sharpened as often as they should. If you can't get your own for now, see if you can at least make sure you always get the same pair of rentals (ask the rink staff if they can do this). This way your feet won't have to readjust to every pair you try.

Hmm, I'd like to get some now but I was planning on getting boots that would cover me up to single jumps (something like the Jackson Freestyles). And I don't know if the level of skating I'm doing right now will be enough to break them in. 

I don't have a coach yet either so I won't have a good idea of what boots will be most appropriate for me in terms of stiffness. I've heard some fitters underboot/overboot and because I'm so new I won't know if they're giving good advice or not :(

I might ask around at my next group lesson :14066882:

What do you guys think?

Just now, dotsquare said:

Hmm, I'd like to get some now but I was planning on getting boots that would cover me up to single jumps (something like the Jackson Freestyles). And I don't know if the level of skating I'm doing right now will be enough to break them in. 

I don't have a coach yet either so I won't have a good idea of what boots will be most appropriate for me in terms of stiffness. I've heard some fitters underboot/overboot and because I'm so new I won't know if they're giving good advice or not :(

I might ask around at my next group lesson :14066882:

What do you guys think?

Honestly, you could probably start with the Freestyles. Just today I heard a coach say that to an adult beginner who was on her first lesson. People talk a lot about overbooting, but this is more applicable to children than adults because they're likely to outgrow them before they even break them in. And adults need more support anyway, since on average we weigh more than children. Overbooting might've been an issue if you'd started with a boot rated for triples, but the Freestyle is only up to an Axel, so you should be fine. A lot of the beginner skaters I know use them, and they're doing just fine. 

The one problem with getting your first pair, though, is that you won't know what they should feel like. This happened to me. The tech guy wasn't great, and he just asked me if I was comfortable, which resulted in me getting a boot that was too big, and not suited for my feet shape. And now I have all sorts of issues because my heel keeps going up and the ankle isn't offering enough support, causing me to pronate (my right foot is especially bad). I just realized that this week, and it's why my outside edge was basically impossible to get. I need to show my coach, now that I know the specific issues, but I'm pretty sure she'll agree to me buying new boots, which I'll probably do tomorrow... 

Hopefully you can get a good tech person so you can avoid all of this... And ask a coach, but don't let the tech person convince you to get a lower level boot. A lot of them do that. Say that you want something that'll last up to an Axel. 

3 minutes ago, guitarist said:

Honestly, you could probably start with the Freestyles. Just today I heard a coach say that to an adult beginner who was on her first lesson. People talk a lot about overbooting, but this is more applicable to children than adults because they're likely to outgrow them before they even break them in. And adults need more support anyway, since on average we weigh more than children. Overbooting might've been an issue if you'd started with a boot rated for triples, but the Freestyle is only up to an Axel, so you should be fine. A lot of the beginner skaters I know use them, and they're doing just fine. 

The one problem with getting your first pair, though, is that you won't know what they should feel like. This happened to me. The tech guy wasn't great, and he just asked me if I was comfortable, which resulted in me getting a boot that was too big, and not suited for my feet shape. And now I have all sorts of issues because my heel keeps going up and the ankle isn't offering enough support, causing me to pronate (my right foot is especially bad). I just realized that this week, and it's why my outside edge was basically impossible to get. I need to show my coach, now that I know the specific issues, but I'm pretty sure she'll agree to me buying new boots, which I'll probably do tomorrow... 

Hopefully you can get a good tech person so you can avoid all of this... And ask a coach, but don't let the tech person convince you to get a lower level boot. A lot of them do that. Say that you want something that'll last up to an Axel. 

Awesome, thanks for all info! There has to be at least one good fitter in my city so I'll investigate and choose carefully :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

Thanks again guys! 

16 minutes ago, guitarist said:

Bad advice incoming: I got boots rated for doubles and triples before I even did any singles...and they haven't been a problem for me and are a dream bc they provide SO much support. I feel like my boots and my feet are "one" and I'm not fighting against them or anything. And they didn't really have break-in period. So in the experience of someone who isn't a pro, I think overbooting is totally fine xD In contrast I had jackson mystiques before that and i couldn't spin or do anything in them at all. The freestyles are a higher level but I think it's not that different. The leather is also PU coated which makes it pretty hard to mold to your feet. My feet always hurt a lot after skating. The toe pick was also in a weird place.

11 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Bad advice incoming: I got boots rated for doubles and triples before I even did any singles...and they haven't been a problem for me and are a dream bc they provide SO much support. I feel like my boots and my feet are "one" and I'm not fighting against them or anything. And they didn't really have break-in period. So in the experience of someone who isn't a pro, I think overbooting is totally fine xD In contrast I had jackson mystiques before that and i couldn't spin or do anything in them at all. The freestyles are a higher level but I think it's not that different. The leather is also PU coated which makes it pretty hard to mold to your feet. My feet always hurt a lot after skating. The toe pick was also in a weird place.

I don't think it's bad advice at all. I think for adults it's hard to actually overboot unless you have a very low pain tolerance. What might be more of a problem is the blade, since a blade that is too advanced might go too fast for a beginner to control. 

1 minute ago, guitarist said:

I don't think it's bad advice at all. I think for adults it's hard to actually overboot unless you have a very low pain tolerance. What might be more of a problem is the blade, since a blade that is too advanced might go too fast for a beginner to control. 

Haha, interesting *puts pattern 99 blades back in box*

19 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Oooh, what boots are you using now? 

9 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Haha, interesting *puts pattern 99 blades back in box*

You're not a beginner, though. Probably not a good idea to give those to someone on day one. A lot of people at the rink have them, many of them adults doing singles and doubles, so it's probably not that big a deal. I'd get them, but eh, I spend way too much money on skating already, and I actually am a beginner :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Just now, guitarist said:

You're not a beginner, though. Probably not a good idea to give those to someone on day one. A lot of people at the rink have them, many of them adults doing singles and doubles, so it's probably not that big a deal. I'd get them, but eh, I spend way too much money on skating already, and I actually am a beginner :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

truthfully i only got them bc of yuzu :tumblr_inline_mzx8zzarLt1r8msi5:

2 hours ago, guitarist said:

Totally NOT the reason most of my skating clothes are UA.

eh.....*looks at cor ace blades and addidas clothing* I suddenly feel very un-fanyu.

Mine are ole risport rf3, boot is more a weight issue, some levels factor in. You could totally go for boots up to axel, and maybe  Wilson excel blades? Also try out different brands of boots, as each tend to fit certain feet shapes more easily.

3 hours ago, Xen said:

eh.....*looks at cor ace blades and addidas clothing* I suddenly feel very un-fanyu.

Mine are ole risport rf3, boot is more a weight issue, some levels factor in. You could totally go for boots up to axel, and maybe  Wilson excel blades? Also try out different brands of boots, as each tend to fit certain feet shapes more easily.

Yup, I'm definitely going to keep an open mind towards brands. I just needed an idea of what stiffness was okay to get for my level. All this boot talk is making me excited :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: