Skating on the Planet

4 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Random thought but I've always wanted to go roller skating (but have never made it out of my driveway without falling and quitting). One day I will do it.. :biggrin: 

I'm gonna be killing myself trying to roller skate during summer when there is no ice to skate on :1:

The whole lesson on different types of skating boots was helpful. I plan to purchase a pair of skates for myself as well as I intend to go skating a lot more than I currently do. I don't intend to learn tricks and stuff, just go to whiz around on the ice as a means of exercise, although this certainly may change in the future. 

1 hour ago, ClarissaH said:

The whole lesson on different types of skating boots was helpful. I plan to purchase a pair of skates for myself as well as I intend to go skating a lot more than I currently do. I don't intend to learn tricks and stuff, just go to whiz around on the ice as a means of exercise, although this certainly may change in the future. 

that's what I told myself as well before I started and then one lesson later I changed my goal post to jumping waltz jump and now it's to jump an axel so good luck with that :muahaha:

1 hour ago, ClarissaH said:

Yeah, good luck with that :9:

1 hour ago, robin said:

Yeah, good luck with that :9:

1 hour ago, axelnojutsu said:

that's what I told myself as well before I started and then one lesson later I changed my goal post to jumping waltz jump and now it's to jump an axel so good luck with that :muahaha:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if I end up changing my mind either, still nice to know about all the different skate brands though.

A local outdoor sports store that has figure skates has a damn good sale where you can pick up skates for $20-40 so hopefully getting skates that would be decent for if I decide to delve into the world and try my hand at some spins and such. 

13 hours ago, dotsquare said:

So I visited my local rink again today, and I think I'm ready to commit to group lessons! 

How long did it take you guys to become comfortable with skating in general (I don't mean the cool spins and jumps, just zipping around the rink)? 

Also, what are some good beginner skates? I've heard Jacksons are better for people with wide feet (like me hehe) so I'm considering the Mystiques but not sure :/

I'd like to get some second hand skates but I'm scared about the sizing. Ive heard that figure skates are supposed to be one size smaller than your shoe size, but the rentals I use are the same as my shoe size :headdesk2:

Hmm, it took me around a month (4-5 sessions) to stop feeling like I was going to fall. Now, that doesn't mean falls don't happen, especially if I'm trying something new, and sometimes I still feel like I'm going to fall when I'm learning new stuff. This might be faster or slower depending on the person. In skating people progress at completely different rates. I started in November and I'm only in US Basic Skills 5 or so (and I'm not that great at them), whereas other people are at 7-8 by now and are even doing pretty decent one-foot spins. Also depends how often you skate. 

But no matter how many skills you learn and how long it takes to do them, it's just so much fun! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: Nothing compares to the feeling of simply gliding on the ice. 

Also, I'd go with the Artiste or Classiques if you can afford them. Better investment, and you want something stronger if you're an adult, anyway. Unless you're like me and you're the size of a 14-year-old... 

1 hour ago, guitarist said:

Hmm, it took me around a month (4-5 sessions) to stop feeling like I was going to fall. Now, that doesn't mean falls don't happen, especially if I'm trying something new, and sometimes I still feel like I'm going to fall when I'm learning new stuff. This might be faster or slower depending on the person. In skating people progress at completely different rates. I started in November and I'm only in US Basic Skills 5 or so (and I'm not that great at them), whereas other people are at 7-8 by now and are even doing pretty decent one-foot spins. Also depends how often you skate. 

But no matter how many skills you learn and how long it takes to do them, it's just so much fun! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: Nothing compares to the feeling of simply gliding on the ice. 

Also, I'd go with the Artiste or Classiques if you can afford them. Better investment, and you want something stronger if you're an adult, anyway. Unless you're like me and you're the size of a 14-year-old... 

1 month is pretty quick! My goal is to be stable and skate fast by the end of this year :10636614:

I wish skates were cheaper :( What do you guys think about Jackson Elles? 

I've been checking my salchow jumps tracings and think I need to work on them a bit... for some reason, the tracing on the exit edge makes me suspect a bit of UR. Was thinking I might not be holding my entry edge straight enough.

5 hours ago, Xen said:

I've been checking my salchow jumps tracings and think I need to work on them a bit... for some reason, the tracing on the exit edge makes me suspect a bit of UR. Was thinking I might not be holding my entry edge straight enough.

You’re doing double sals?

18 minutes ago, robin said:

You’re doing double sals?

No, still single sals. Just not happy with my height and distance. I haven't practiced Salchow jumps recently, so they're going back to tiny status.

But I need to get my height and distance back up if I ever want to aim for doubles. T_T

10 minutes ago, Xen said:

No, still single sals. Just not happy with my height and distance. I haven't practiced Salchow jumps recently, so they're going back to tiny status.

But I need to get my height and distance back up if I ever want to aim for doubles. T_T

Ahhh I see, sorry, I just assumed bc you said they’re UR.

Hmm not sure if that’d help you but the first thing my coach told me about my sals was to extend my free leg to the back after the 3turn, kind of like you’d do for a flip. That way the entry edge straightens and I have more control going in to the sal. But I have never seen anyone else do that? Well not to the extend I was told to do it 

5 minutes ago, robin said:

Ahhh I see, sorry, I just assumed bc you said they’re UR.

Hmm not sure if that’d help you but the first thing my coach told me about my sals was to extend my free leg to the back after the 3turn, kind of like you’d do for a flip. That way the entry edge straightens and I have more control going in to the sal. But I have never seen anyone else do that? Well not to the extend I was told to do it 

Yeah, I'll try that. A part of me is thinking it's time to change the entry method.  (that's actually how I used to think of my flips-it's like a salchow just with a toe tap...)

I learned the Sal going from a back 3 turn to mohawk entry. Then after not skating for a while, I'm back to a normal 3-turn swingy entry. Rinkmates says the mohawk one generates more power for the jump, but you need to be really good at checking, and the speed for the snap up launch is faster. Hmm... decisions decisions. I also want to try a rolling 3 turns entry, hehe, and probably fall flat on my face.

I've recently been trying RFI bracket to waltz jump, and have been nudging a rinkmate to do counter, or a back 3 turn Axel. :headdesk2:

Does anyone have tips for Ina Bauers? I finally figured out how to get into the right position, but once I do it, I stop gliding within a second or two. I think this is because most of my weight is actually on the back (in this case my right) leg, which is obviously exactly the opposite of what I should be doing, but I'm having trouble holding my weight on the left leg... Maybe I'm doing something wrong when entering it. 

5 hours ago, Xen said:

Yeah, I'll try that. A part of me is thinking it's time to change the entry method.  (that's actually how I used to think of my flips-it's like a salchow just with a toe tap...)

I learned the Sal going from a back 3 turn to mohawk entry. Then after not skating for a while, I'm back to a normal 3-turn swingy entry. Rinkmates says the mohawk one generates more power for the jump, but you need to be really good at checking, and the speed for the snap up launch is faster. Hmm... decisions decisions. I also want to try a rolling 3 turns entry, hehe, and probably fall flat on my face.

I've recently been trying RFI bracket to waltz jump, and have been nudging a rinkmate to do counter, or a back 3 turn Axel. :headdesk2:

Oh I have never seen a mohawk entry into sals. That's interesting!

That reminds me, the only two other people in my skating class jumping flips (both who skated professionally in their younger days) do flips from mohawks and my coach advised me to learn them from mohwaks, too, when I started out because that way you don't run danger of "curving" too much into the jump. But I just hadn't seen any flips from mohawks before and I don't like mohawks so I just practiced "straight" 3turns instead lol

I still have to learn how to do left back counters for my waltz jumps LOL (Have I considered jumping clockwise just so I can use the back counter entry? Yes. I failed ofc lol)